The Student Room Group

Advice regarding A&E placement

hi guys/gals,

I have offers to start junior clinical fellow post in A&E. I need a bit of advice. Has anyone worked in A&E in stepping Hill Hospital stockport or Wythenshawe hospital, manchester? I need to decide between these two but i will throw scunthorpe/grimsby in the mix as well. I am not sure where to start working. I am hoping for a gradual transition as I am quite rusty with my medical knowledge. But I also need a good learning environment. I know my question is quite vague but any advice will be appreciated.
I've never worked in any of these places but in my humble opinion, Stockport would be a horrible place to live. I've been there once and I found it a profoundly depressing location, although I don't know anybody who has worked there to comment on the hospital. I think Manchester would be the best place out of all those to live in because it's a nice city, but I don't know anyone who has worked at Wythenshawe Hospital. Scunthorpe and Grimsby I've actually heard good things about working in both locations from friends, but they're both relatively smaller and farther away from places of interest - in terms of what you might want to do outside of work. With my paltry knowledge I guess I'd pick Wythenshawe but as I said, I don't know somebody who has actually worked there and they would be best placed to advise.

I know this isn't the most helpful response but as I saw you've had no replies so far I thought I would contribute what little I could!
Reply 2
Original post by seaholme
I've never worked in any of these places but in my humble opinion, Stockport would be a horrible place to live. I've been there once and I found it a profoundly depressing location, although I don't know anybody who has worked there to comment on the hospital. I think Manchester would be the best place out of all those to live in because it's a nice city, but I don't know anyone who has worked at Wythenshawe Hospital. Scunthorpe and Grimsby I've actually heard good things about working in both locations from friends, but they're both relatively smaller and farther away from places of interest - in terms of what you might want to do outside of work. With my paltry knowledge I guess I'd pick Wythenshawe but as I said, I don't know somebody who has actually worked there and they would be best placed to advise.

I know this isn't the most helpful response but as I saw you've had no replies so far I thought I would contribute what little I could!

Hi there. My apologies for replying 4 weeks late to your post. Dont know why I missed it.
Thank you. This has been really helpful. I have been leaning toward Wythenshawe as well and am going to take their offer. I agree with you on scunthorpe and grimsby, they are just too far from places of interest, from friends and family. But they can still be tempting because the living would be cheaper i guess. I did not take the stockport job because I didnt like the area myself. It would have still been my second preference because its practically in manchester. But thanks again for the helpful hints. I hope everything goes smooth from here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending