I've been fined for accidentally driving in a bus lane Watch

Nick the lad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
basically I was driving along and I hadn't realised it changed to a bus lane so I had driven in it for a bit. Today I got a letter through the post with a penalty saying i'd been fined which is so no fair, I did not mean to drive in the bus lane, is there any way I can appeal?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no. just try and improve your awareness.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nick the lad)
basically I was driving along and I hadn't realised it changed to a bus lane so I had driven in it for a bit. Today I got a letter through the post with a penalty saying i'd been fined which is so no fair, I did not mean to drive in the bus lane, is there any way I can appeal?
This happened to me. Doesn't matter if you didn't mean to, you still did so you need to pay the fine. It's unlikely that you can appeal - unless there was no clear sign to say it was a bus lane (very unlikely and often it's written on the actual road). It's annoying but you'll learn from it like I did. At least it doesn't add points to your license
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah the short answer is 'You should have realised'
Nick the lad
Rep:
?
but I can't afford to pay it
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
but I can't afford to pay it
Contact the council and see what they say, they may let you pay instalments if you can prove you don't have the money. They are likely to say if you can afford to have and run a car (e.g. insurance, petrol) then you will have to pay. Can anyone else help you out with it? How much is it?
ellaswords
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my friend did the same thing not long ago, they weren’t too impressed but im afraid that’s how the cookie crumbles & you’ll just have to pay the fine. i don’t think the fines are too much anyway
Nick the lad
Rep:
?
I got a £70 fine
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did the same, didn't notice I was in a bus lane. I laughed and paid it up as accidents happen.

If you pay it within 14 days there's typically a 50% discount. And if you can't afford that I'm struggling to see how you can afford to run a car.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got a £70 fine
If it's similar to a parking one, if you pay it within 7 or 14 days then it might be reduced. You'll have to pay it either way, or risk being fined more

Edit: I just looked at my local council, it's £60 but reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days. If it's not paid within 28 days then further fines will be issued.
Last edited by BurstingBubbles; 1 week ago
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You will be unlikely to get anywhere I suspect. These things are used to generate revenue for the council. If it is terribly signposted/deliberately unclear then you could appeal (if you provide evidence ie photos).

If not I guess you will likely just have to pay, you could try calling & explaining just to try but I think it will likely go nowhere.
Nick the lad
Rep:
?
im on the dole I recently lost my job
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry to hear that, but it doesn't really make any difference to the advice you've already been given...

Don't ignore the fine and pay up if you can. You made the error so you have to pay, it really is that simple.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You may be able to get it reduced slightly but won't be able to get rid of the fine because of that. They will expect that if you own and run a car then you will need to pay. You may need to sell something if needed, it's your responsibility at the end of the day. If you really don't have much money then consider selling your car and using public transport in terms of prioritising money.
username5008046
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is no way you can appeal when it is clearly your fault, even if it is a ridiculous fine. You have to be very careful when driving in cities, there are cameras everywhere. The councils will take any opportunity to fine you for doing something wrong - I know someone who just got fined for having like a cm of their car in a box junction, and that box junction wasn't even a fair one because it was only at a left turn anyway
The best thing to do is pay early so that you get the 50% off
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
You may be able to get it reduced slightly but won't be able to get rid of the fine because of that. They will expect that if you own and run a car then you will need to pay. You may need to sell something if needed, it's your responsibility at the end of the day. If you really don't have much money then consider selling your car and using public transport in terms of prioritising money.
Yeah these wee extras are part and parcel of driving, I was always advised to budget an extra few £100 a year for things like this...fines, parking fees, the odd tyre or small repair. As you say, the way they see it is you can afford a car, insurance, tax,fuel ect...you can afford to pay your fines.
yelir
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sure if you pay within 14 days the fine is much lower, take it as a lesson and learn to be more aware. There is usually signs much earlier on telling you there's a bus lane, and usually its also written on the road that you are in a bus lane. Drive round the area again, if the signs are unclear/not there, and there is no writing on the road, then you may be able to appeal it.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Pay up. You drove in the bus lane, you deserve the fine. End of.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well the fine isn't dependant on whether you did it deliberately, so in that sense it is fair. I've paid a couple and both reduced the fine by half if paid within 14 days.
Loreto2018
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It happens, learn from the mistake and move on. Usually the councils are very strict with fines because this is the only way they can get money off people for future investments.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (133)
53.63%
18-20 years old (no) (30)
12.1%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.73%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.61%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.26%