Do you need to work to supplement your finances at Uni? Watch

Poll: Do you need to work to supplement your finances at Uni?
Yes (86)
58.9%
No (60)
41.1%
Gilmore Girl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Are you struggling to make ends meet? Are you perhaps spending more time trying to earn some extra cash, than you are on your Uni work? Is finding work easy? What type of work are you managing to find? Would be great to hear about your experiences. Thanks :-)
Last edited by Gilmore Girl; 2 weeks ago
grKiro
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Share your own experiences first....
kazzykat95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I will most likely need to, to pay my rent and stuff. I don't think my maintenance loan will be very high...
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This being past tense now, but I did when I was at uni.

I was only eligible at the point of application for the basic maintenance loan of the time, which was around £3500 per term (My rent from 2nd year alone was £3000 a term). I had to get 2 jobs alongside my studies to be able to afford to live. My typical schedule during the week was:

In lectures/labs/seminars: 9am - 4pm
Job 1 (Out of hours IT Tech Support): 4.30pm - 9.30pm, Monday - Thursday
Job 2 (Nightclub Bar Supervisor, then Assistant Manager in Final year): 10.30pm - 5am Monday, Wednesday - Saturday

Had to swap to weekend work for job #1 in final year, as I was in uni for various things from 8am until 7pm during the week. Also Job #2 hours changed to 8.30pm - 5.30am in final year.

My uni work and grades definitely suffered for that, but on the upside I had 3+ years of partially industry relevant work experience at the end as well.

Even scaling for inflation since I studied, maintenance loans have still got 40% larger, i'd have loved to have that extra buffer of safety net.
Ransack
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would work just to fill up some, if not all of my free time. :yy:
Shimo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thankfully my uni decided to give me an extra £2,000/year because my family are on the lower end of the income scale(I think I would've been fine without it), it's odd how the people whose families are in the higher income bracket actually end up struggling for money more
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I should have found work while at university but I was too depressed so I just didn't eat to save money instead.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Yeah same as someone else on here. I’m super fortunate to receive max maintenance loan and £3000/year from uni since my family doesn’t earn much.

I’m absolutely terrible with money though. I’ve been spending sooo much more than I should have :/
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am fortunate enough to receive the welsh grant, and it would cover rent and leave some for food. however, I still work and earning a lot more, which is being put to good use for my future
1st superstar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gilmore Girl)
Are you struggling to make ends meet? Are you perhaps spending more time trying to earn some extra cash, than you are on your Uni work? Is finding work easy? What type of work are you managing to find? Would be great to hear about your experiences. Thanks :-)
nah my mum will pay for uni if/when i go
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (98)
70.5%
No I haven't decided yet (26)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (15)
10.79%

Watched Threads