money for uni Watch

x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
ok this is something iv been thinking about since my friends started talking about getting jobs at uni...
cuz i said no they were like well how are u gonna aford to live
so i told them i have a load of money saved up n they were like:eek:"i have like £200"
i was wondering if it was a general thing not to save for it
Cuz it just seems like common sense to save to me

so um yeah the actual question is have u saved for uni? n a lot? or not much?

x x x
couture_kid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
erm, i have an isa with a fair bit of money... i've got a job for summer... plus i know my parents will be happy to help me out as they did for my brother.

I thought most people save for uni...
Audrey Hepburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've not managed to save much - I put £400 in a post office savings account when I was 13 and left it there... so it's that and whatever interest it gained.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't save for university at all. I think I had a month's pay (£300) in my account when I started, which went on a few meals out and things I forgot to pack during Freshers' fortnight.
I know some of my friends had saved thousands, but I didn't see a lot of point personally. I don't spend a lot myself; in fact, I spend so little that I can afford to live off my earnings and not use my student loan/grant at all; as well as not using everything I earn. However, those people that saved a lot seemed to spend it VERY quickly once they started university; so if you've saved it, be sensible with it.
Liverpool's Number 9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I will be doing it the good old fashioned way and working.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
(Original post by couture_kid)
erm, i have an isa with a fair bit of money... i've got a job for summer... plus i know my parents will be happy to help me out as they did for my brother.

I thought most people save for uni...
i thought they would of too but it seems my friends never thought of it lol i was shocked when i heard they hadnt really saved aught.... a few plan on saving all they earn this summer but they also plan to go out alot but dont seem to realise that kinda cancels it out lol

to tell truth i havent had a job so most of my money i have is through not spending christmas/birthday money n money my mum n dad saved for me... £10 a year since i was born n my nan opened a post office account for me which she gave me for my birthday...
i basically have enough money saved for about £120 a week for my first year
x
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
First year I didn't save a penny, but as I didn't get an overdraft I couldn't go out as much as my hall mates like every week (which I cba to do anyway).

This summer I have a job saving up ready for next year as I have to pay more as in private acc. etc. paying bills!
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
(Original post by imtired)
I'm guessing the loans and grants and what ever money you get will take care of basic needs, if you need extra for going out etc. you'll have to work if you have no other money. I've never worked and don't intend to whilst i'm there so i'll be using money that i have saved up.

need money for food too :|
my grants n that once accomodation taken out im left with about 192 which is about £4.50 a week lol.....

i dont intend to work either
x
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i will literally just be relying on my overdraft and my parents when i go - loan isnt even enough to cover accomodation and i wont have time to work really.
dreamteam
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have saved very successfully. Have around £4k, and hope to have £6k by the time i start uni.

Will also try to get a term-time job whilst at uni and hope to not get in any debt by the time i leave.
princess_sue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
your right OP, it is common sense. Not to save, imo, is just plain ridiculous.

I saved up 6k and I recieved 4K from my dad to last me my whole University life (4 years). I bought my car which was 3.5K and used the rest for my 1st and 2nd years. There was no way I was getting a job whilst at Uni, I didn't see the point as I wanted to enjoy the time I was there & not worry about money
imtired
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Annaconda)
i will literally just be relying on my overdraft and my parents when i go - loan isnt even enough to cover accomodation and i wont have time to work really.
I thoght maintenance loans and grants covered at least accomodation, food, transports etc. how do most people get by? I'm sure there are some who don't get money from parents and don't work... If you really do need more money than you're given, i'll just have to save up even more.
Priyanka1992
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how much money are you going to need for one year at uni...including food, shelter, clothes, going out, tuition fees and all the other necesities..?

Give me an estimate, cos i have no idea ??
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by imtired)
I thoght maintenance loans and grants covered at least accomodation, food, transports etc. how do most people get by? I'm sure there are some who don't get money from parents and don't work... If you really do need more money than you're given, i'll just have to save up even more.
Depends where you are living. My accom. at uni cost £2285, my friend at Soton cost him about £1000 more. We both got given the same amount in the loan.
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Priyanka1992)
how much money are you going to need for one year at uni...including food, shelter, clothes, going out, tuition fees and all the other necesities..?

Give me an estimate, cos i have no idea ??
Food I spent about £550 from Sep-May (I was an Asda cheapskate, buying like £1 ready meals and stuff woo woo)

Going out it really dependant on when you go out, where you go out etc. Like Brum will be a lot more expensive than say some town club.
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
accomodation in some cities is £4000 ish which is more than a student loan!
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
my accomodation is about £4200 n my loan is 192 more than that.... so im just covered
its food n stuff that will be my expence
i dont do ready meals or aught like that i only eat proper food not sure if thats gonna help or hinder
X x x
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the minimum loan is £3400 or something isnt it?
that'll be what i'll get
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
yeah i think so
oh well
billyboymccoy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've saved up 5 grand. I'm putting it in various saivng accounts and am gonna live off the loan. My mother is also being alot more generous than I expected and is going to pay my accommodation .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (476)
38.17%
No - but I will (95)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.23%

Watched Threads