What good career could he get without A Levels? Watch

missygeorgia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My boyfriend's really quite intelligent but he screws up majorly when it comes to academic achievement. He has GCSEs but not great ones, a few (pretty poor) a levels and is doing some kind of foundation course atm which I'm not convinced he's going to do brilliantly in.

Basically, assuming he doesn't do well in the course he's doing and doesn't get into uni, are there any areas which are intellectually challenging yet don't really require qualifications?

I think he'd love a career which is intellectually stimulating, rather than anything labour-ish. Also I don't think he'd be great doing something businessy. His interests are more in the arts than anything.

Really I'm just looking for suggestions I can give him to show he hasn't completely messed up his future, cos he's feeling pretty down about it.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There aren't any, really. There's a whole range of careers you can go into with A-levels and no degree, virtually any profession as, despite what most think, virtually all professions are open to non-degree holders (degree holders can take a faster route to professional status).

You can become a lawer with just GCSEs (by taking the legal executive route) but even they you're required to sit ILEX exams over a number of years, alongside normal study.

Unfortuntely, as far as I know, there are lots of careers open to people without degrees and brilliant A-levels but they will always combine on the job training/experience with exams and assesment. It's part of life.

Is there any reason why he doesn't cope well? Does he have specific difficulties?
Big-Benji
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Obvious option would be an apprenticeship and learn what he needs to on the job, although I'm not sure what's available in the arts. I have heard of a friend of a friend having a basic errand boy type job in a graphic designer's studio and he gradually got taught more and more by his peers until they took him on to a designing role.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Big-Benji)
Obvious option would be an apprenticeship and learn what he needs to on the job.
But even many apprenticeships have a strict exam/assesment component.
billyboymccoy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How old is he??? As he might be too old for a lot of the apprentice like things.
NotGoingToUni
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
There are a lot of careers which you can get into with just GCSEs and are still intellectually stimulating. What are his interests? You mentioned he doesn't want anything too businessey but also doesn't want anything laboury either...
fblade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Plumbing and other Labour work.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fblade)
Plumbing and other Labour work.
You can do far more than that!
NotGoingToUni
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Exactly, there are loads of more academic careers out there you can go for with A-Levels.
fblade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Of course not, it's not the only thing, it was just a suggestion.

Heres some more: Starting your own business, dispensing in a pharmacy, sales, retail. I'm sure there are others.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fblade)
Of course not, it's not the only thing, it was just a suggestion.

Heres some more: Starting your own business, dispensing in a pharmacy, sales, retail. I'm sure there are others.
Lawyer (legal executive), with just GCSEs - not even A-levels.
England Captain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by missygeorgia)
My boyfriend's really quite intelligent but he screws up majorly when it comes to academic achievement. He has GCSEs but not great ones, a few (pretty poor) a levels and is doing some kind of foundation course atm which I'm not convinced he's going to do brilliantly in.

Basically, assuming he doesn't do well in the course he's doing and doesn't get into uni, are there any areas which are intellectually challenging yet don't really require qualifications?

I think he'd love a career which is intellectually stimulating, rather than anything labour-ish. Also I don't think he'd be great doing something businessy. His interests are more in the arts than anything.

Really I'm just looking for suggestions I can give him to show he hasn't completely messed up his future, cos he's feeling pretty down about it.
Working in a bank. I'm sure you can do this with poor A levels only.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise