my ****ed up life Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have four exams to sit in August. None of these exams is a re-sit in the classic sense. Over the past year I have been having a lot of health problems (sever depression). I am better now. As a result of these health problems I did not sit my exams in January and was granted Mitigating Circumstances. This means that I now have to sit my exams in August as a first diet. The helath problems were still affecting me slighhtly in May and failed one of my exams then (I have been granted Mitigating Circumstances for this one as well)

If I do not manage to pass these then I will have to re-do second year, something which I cannot afford financially (if I was in this position I would have to seriously consider my place at university).

My health problems caused me to miss a lot of university during the first semester as a result my notes are rather lacking. It also means that instead of just revising I have to learn most of the course for the first time (which in the short space of time over the summer is a lot)

My university lecturers, with the exception of one (who happens to also be my advisor and as such is privy to exactly what went on and knows just how difficult this last year has been for me), are being less than helpful when I ask them for assistance.

I am now doubting whether I will be able even scrape a pass in these exams. I am questioning, for about the third time, my ability to get through university and pursue a career as a graduate.

An opportunity has come up which I am giving serious consideration to. This option is to pursue my management training in the large supermarket chain that I work for. Should I undertake this, I could be appointed to a manager’s job anytime within the next 6-9 months. The management in the store believe that I have the ability to progress quite far quickly in the company. As I’ve said I am seriously considering this. I know that should I chose this option, my parents will be upset (possibly even angry).

What to do? I only really have a maximum of a week to make this decision.
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you should try your best to study for these exams and use the management training as something to fall back on.

It is a lot to learn practically the whole year in about 5/6 weeks.

I think your best option is to re-do second year considering how much you need to learn. What financial issues do you have that means you think you can't afford to do second year again? Can't you apply for a maintenance grant or the Access to learning fund or univeristy bursaries? Can't you contact your LEA for more info about financial support? Or Connexions. Also speak to a financial advisor at your university. There are so many things you can apply for. Given your situation I'm sure you'd be entitled to the Access to Learning Fund but lol I don't even know what the situation is. lol explain please.
Anonymous #1
I don't really want to go into all my financial details on the internet, but I have spoken to advisers and there is nothing for me that would provide me with the assistance that I need.
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're anonymous. I just meant to say why you are having difficulty.
None whatsoever? Surely applying for several things eventually adds up to enough money. Unless you aren't entitled for them.
You need to give more info for me to understand the situation better.
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Think about where you see yourself in 5 years? Do you honestly believe you can pass these exams? Re-doing the year isn't an option as you have mentioned. Do you see your self as a manager managing a store/possibly more depending on what chain it is and their opportunities?

If the store you are working for has a good opportunity for you and you don't think you can pass these exams as 1 years material & extra reading just imo sounds impossible.

may I ask which store it is?
magicbean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lots of the large supermarkets have excellent management schemes, if you think it's a job you'd enjoy you should seriously consider it. Just don't drop out of uni because you can't be bothered to put the effort in, if you work hard you might do better than you think, and at least you'll always be able to say you gave it a go. As for the notes, surely there's someone on your course that could share theirs? Or are the lecture notes on the uni website?

Oh, and how your parents react shouldn't really be a consideration imo, it's your life!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by princess_sue)
Think about where you see yourself in 5 years? Do you honestly believe you can pass these exams? Re-doing the year isn't an option as you have mentioned. Do you see your self as a manager managing a store/possibly more depending on what chain it is and their opportunities?

If the store you are working for has a good opportunity for you and you don't think you can pass these exams as 1 years material & extra reading just imo sounds impossible.

may I ask which store it is?
I honestly can't answer where I'll be in 5 years time, a few months ago I could have told you exactly where I saw myself.

As for the exams I have no idea whether I'll be able to pass them or not. There is a lot to learn for the four modules that I need to sit.

The company is Tesco.

Surely there's someone on your course that could share theirs?
Dotted all over the UK, nobody that's nearby (well nobody that I know)

Or are the lecture notes on the uni website?
Lecturers powerpoint slieds (all that is available) are pretty useless.
groovychez89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you really see yourself working in tescos your whole life?!
Its probably amazing money, but I would go and speak to some sort of careers advisor or something, i'm sure they would be able to help you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by groovychez89)
Do you really see yourself working in tescos your whole life?!
Its probably amazing money, but I would go and speak to some sort of careers advisor or something, i'm sure they would be able to help you
Not for my whole life, but I could do it for a fair number of years. It may sound sad, but I actually enjoy my job in Tesco.
groovychez89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Not for my whole life, but I could do it for a fair number of years. It may sound sad, but I actually enjoy my job in Tesco.
i liked my job in primark.. doesnt mean id do it for years and years though! drive me insane!
and even if you did do it for a fair number of years, wouldnt it be harder to try and get back into education?? You'd like the money too much.. it would seem more practical to stay where you were.. and a few years would turn into a decade, then a few decades.. and then next thing you know you'd be retiring from the place!!
m4n0ran
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you are not happy at university and just doing it for the sake of passing then how about undertake the manager's job? I guess you can go for postgraduate study if you ever wanted to go back.

Your primary concern should be your own happiness.
jakeee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Forget uni mate, its obviously not doing anything for you. So, instead of wasting time grudging through a degree and ****ting a load of cash down the drain you'd rather work and start making something while your still in a stable position debt wise.
fairy spangles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you have to decide which would be better - do you want to be a manager? Or is it because the prospect of learning alot of your course from scratch seems very daunting?? The wages are quite good in management and i have considered it myself just for that reason!
But - ive carried on at uni and that was my best decision ever. Ive failed an exam - like you ive been very unwell - my mitigating circumstances however have not really been taken into consideration - which is stupid and i have to do my one exam as a resit. Apparently my uni say they are strict on that stuff - so looks like its tough luck for me!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by fairy spangles)
I think you have to decide which would be better - do you want to be a manager? Or is it because the prospect of learning alot of your course from scratch seems very daunting?? The wages are quite good in management and i have considered it myself just for that reason!
But - ive carried on at uni and that was my best decision ever. Ive failed an exam - like you ive been very unwell - my mitigating circumstances however have not really been taken into consideration - which is stupid and i have to do my one exam as a resit. Apparently my uni say they are strict on that stuff - so looks like its tough luck for me!!
It's not that I necessarily find it daunting, it's more the fact that I feel I'm struggling and my university is not being very supportive and I know that if I fail even just one of these exams I am not able to progress to the next year and I know that I cannot afford for that to happen.
libertine861
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not that I necessarily find it daunting, it's more the fact that I feel I'm struggling and my university is not being very supportive and I know that if I fail even just one of these exams I am not able to progress to the next year and I know that I cannot afford for that to happen.
The way I see it, you have nothing to loose by sitting these exams and then seeing how well you do. If you do well, great, if you don't, you can take that managers position offered to you. You've come this far now, you might as well see it through. I considered dropping out of uni in my 1st year as I didn't think I had the ability to last at university but I was already halfway through the year. As I had nothing planned if I did drop out, I decided to see the year out. I honestly didn't expect to pass my exams but I did and I've just finished my third year and got a 2.1 overall. It just goes to show how damaging our doubts can be. I'm so glad that I never dropped out.

It's a tall order to learn what you have to in such a short period of time but it's not impossible and if it's what you really really want, then I'm sure you will move mountains to achieve it. I didn't have a great deal of support at my uni, I more or less taught myself, I just used the lecture notes as guidance. It's a shame that your uni hasn't been very supportive but it's something you're going to have to accept as time is running out and you can't look for others to help you, as harsh as it sounds; you have to do it yourself. You could be waiting forever if you wait for uni to give you more support.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by libertine861)
The way I see it, you have nothing to loose by sitting these exams and then seeing how well you do. If you do well, great, if you don't, you can take that managers position offered to you. You've come this far now, you might as well see it through. I considered dropping out of uni in my 1st year as I didn't think I had the ability to last at university but I was already halfway through the year. As I had nothing planned if I did drop out, I decided to see the year out. I honestly didn't expect to pass my exams but I did and I've just finished my third year and got a 2.1 overall. It just goes to show how damaging our doubts can be. I'm so glad that I never dropped out.

It's a tall order to learn what you have to in such a short period of time but it's not impossible and if it's what you really really want, then I'm sure you will move mountains to achieve it. I didn't have a great deal of support at my uni, I more or less taught myself, I just used the lecture notes as guidance. It's a shame that your uni hasn't been very supportive but it's something you're going to have to accept as time is running out and you can't look for others to help you, as harsh as it sounds; you have to do it yourself. You could be waiting forever if you wait for uni to give you more support.
I see what you mean. However this is not the first time I've considered dropping out and to be honest I've not been doing that well in uni. I only seem to be scraping a pass in everything I do. If I keep going this way I'll be lucky to get a 2.2.

There are more things to take into consideration though. If I'm not going back to uni then I need to find somewhere to live as I'm currently in halls and I wont find out the results of the exams in time.
Kyle_S-C
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I see what you mean. However this is not the first time I've considered dropping out and to be honest I've not been doing that well in uni. I only seem to be scraping a pass in everything I do. If I keep going this way I'll be lucky to get a 2.2.

There are more things to take into consideration though. If I'm not going back to uni then I need to find somewhere to live as I'm currently in halls and I wont find out the results of the exams in time.
If your course is a degree that Tesco would think highly of, do you think there would be any chance of them sponsoring you through university in exchange for a contract whereby you work for them in a managerial role for a certain number of years? I know that they're always looking for good graduates for management positions and perhaps if they alleviate the stress of finances you might be able to get a better grade. If you're being considered for management, they may be willing to invest in your future and you can kill two birds with one stone. Of course, I can't say for certain, but perhaps you could ask.
libertine861
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

well what do you really want to do? what are you studying? what would you hope to be if you got the degree you want?
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP from reading your posts I honestly think the best bet is to work your way through Tesco's management scheme. You don't have to be there all your life like you said, gain some valuable experience working for a massive superstore and move on to bigger and better things in the future.

It seems to me that carrying on with Uni wouldn't be the best option for you....start making yourself some money and make yourself happier. Good Luck OP.
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think right now what you're feeling is an overwhelming pressure from your university to pass your exams and, quite frankly, this management programme seems like an easy way out. Right now of course it's tempting to just give up the exams and go back to working at Tescos where there are no exams to learn, no constant hours of revision and huge stress building up to august exams.

But I say stick at the revision! I honestly believe that you've got every chance of passing those exams, and as people have said, look at where you could be in 5 or 10 years time with a degree compared to without. Chances are even if you did want to go into management as a career, a degree would help you immensely, regardless of what it's in.

One option you may not have considered (or probably will have) is the thought of taking a year or two out from university to earn money at Tescos, then going back (or starting over) with more money to cover the financial deficit you currently have? Furthermore you'll return to university as a more mature, independant person with a lot more to offer and an insight into life that few of your classmates will have.

I think a degree is something you will want at some point in your life. Don't throw your chance away, keep studying and if you fail then you gave it your damn best and you can work in retail management with your head held high
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.29%
No - but I will (77)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.02%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (486)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed