any bike experts?

Watch
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
my rear brakes keep sticking... ie they close fine but then don't fully open again and rub slightly

I took it into my Lbs but they've not fixed it properly... anyone have any tips for fixing it myself? I'm happy doing other minor repairs myself on the bike

it's a Carbondale synapse road bike with internal cable routing, normal rim brakes if any of that makes a difference?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i can't give specific advice but it's usually something sticking in the brake handle where the mechanism gets filled with dust/mud which causes friction

if you look along the brake cable while you're squeezing the brake you could probably work out exactly where it's sticking, take it apart and clean it
doodle_333
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
i can't give specific advice but it's usually something sticking in the brake handle where the mechanism gets filled with dust/mud which causes friction

if you look along the brake cable while you're squeezing the brake you could probably work out exactly where it's sticking, take it apart and clean it
cable is inside the frame, I'll give that a go though, thanks
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
cable is inside the frame, I'll give that a go though, thanks
The first think to check is the cable tension, on/near your brake lever where the cable comes out should be a tensioner it will look like a hollow nut type of thing (probably plastic) turning it slightly might just do the trick.
Failing that you will need to retension or replace the cable. To retension the cable you should see where it attaches on the brake caliper, there should be a locking nut that holds the cable. Get a 1 handed tool like a small 1/4 inch drive ratchet and set it to anticlockwise place it over the nut then with your spare hand hold the brake caliper at both sides, so it can't release and gently untighten the nut. Allow the caliper to release a tiny bit and then retighten the nut.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaseyB)
The first think to check is the cable tension, on/near your brake lever where the cable comes out should be a tensioner it will look like a hollow nut type of thing (probably plastic) turning it slightly might just do the trick.
Failing that you will need to retension or replace the cable. To retension the cable you should see where it attaches on the brake caliper, there should be a locking nut that holds the cable. Get a 1 handed tool like a small 1/4 inch drive ratchet and set it to anticlockwise place it over the nut then with your spare hand hold the brake caliper at both sides, so it can't release and gently untighten the nut. Allow the caliper to release a tiny bit and then retighten the nut.
thank you
napqueen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know if this is of any use to you but their videos and how to guides have helped me fix my bike myself so ive saved money from going to a maintenance shop https://www.cyclemaintenanceacademy.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (227)
56.75%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (51)
12.75%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.25%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
9%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.5%

Watched Threads