Stress Awareness Week: What is Stress? Watch

DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey all! :hello:

This week is Stress Awareness Week. Most of us are or have been students, so we're pretty familiar with feeling stressed and everything that goes along with it. :unsure: Throughout the week, a couple of threads will be popping up here and there talking about different aspects of stress, so keep your eye out if you'd like some useful advice! :yes:

To kick things off, let's talk about what stress actually is. Everybody responds to stress in different ways, and some experience it more than others.

Stress is how your body reacts to a difficult situation. It can affect you physically and mentally. How much it affects you depends on the situation and yourself as an individual.

Your body typically has 3 responses to stressful situations: fight, flight and freeze:

• The fight response is when you feel defensive, your heart beats faster, your muscles tense and you may feel that adrenaline "rush". :fight: This can help you overcome the situation because you're prepared to tackle it head-on and sort it out.
  • The flight response is when you feel the strong need to remove yourself from the situation or take time away from whatever is causing the stress. :run: This often isn't a very good response, as the problem will still be there when you decide to face it again.
  • The freeze response is not being able to do anything. You find yourself unable to tackle the problem, but you can't make yourself walk away from it either. :afraid: You'll feel overwhelmed and unsure about how to proceed.

It's usually easy to tell when you are stressed, as you'll know when you're becoming uncomfortable. The first step to developing the ability to remain in control of your stress is to know the signs of it and what it is. If you can identify which of these 3 responses you do most often (or maybe a combination of them!), then you're on the right path to help yourself overcome this stressful time. :yep:

Keep an eye out throughout the week for more information and advice about stress!

DISCLAIMER:
Spoiler:
Show

This post was not written by a qualified medical professional, and should not be used in place of seeking advice from a medical professional. :nah: If you are feeling severely stressed, please see your GP, a counsellor, or talk to a trusted friend or family member to help you.

Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi I'm in year 11 and it's really stressing me out. I feel like I have so much work that I need to get on top of and it is driving me crazy. I definitely think that I have the freeze response and I was wondering if you could give me any advice to help me clear my mind and tell me how to deal with stress. I get that you are not a medical professional but I'm sure you've been stressed out at least once in your life.

Thank you
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi I'm in year 11 and it's really stressing me out. I feel like I have so much work that I need to get on top of and it is driving me crazy. I definitely think that I have the freeze response and I was wondering if you could give me any advice to help me clear my mind and tell me how to deal with stress. I get that you are not a medical professional but I'm sure you've been stressed out at least once in your life.

Thank you
Keep your eyes peeled on the site in the next few days, as there'll be threads regarding how to deal with stress being posted in the mean time, make a list of everything you need to do in order of importance. This will help you visualise what you need to do and help it seem a bit more manageable.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Hey all! :hello:

This week is Stress Awareness Week. Most of us are or have been students, so we're pretty familiar with feeling stressed and everything that goes along with it. :unsure: Throughout the week, a couple of threads will be popping up here and there talking about different aspects of stress, so keep your eye out if you'd like some useful advice! :yes:

To kick things off, let's talk about what stress actually is. Everybody responds to stress in different ways, and some experience it more than others.

Stress is how your body reacts to a difficult situation. It can affect you physically and mentally. How much it affects you depends on the situation and yourself as an individual.

Your body typically has 3 responses to stressful situations: fight, flight and freeze:

• The fight response is when you feel defensive, your heart beats faster, your muscles tense and you may feel that adrenaline "rush". :fight: This can help you overcome the situation because you're prepared to tackle it head-on and sort it out.
  • The flight response is when you feel the strong need to remove yourself from the situation or take time away from whatever is causing the stress. :run: This often isn't a very good response, as the problem will still be there when you decide to face it again.
  • The freeze response is not being able to do anything. You find yourself unable to tackle the problem, but you can't make yourself walk away from it either. :afraid: You'll feel overwhelmed and unsure about how to proceed.

It's usually easy to tell when you are stressed, as you'll know when you're becoming uncomfortable. The first step to developing the ability to remain in control of your stress is to know the signs of it and what it is. If you can identify which of these 3 responses you do most often (or maybe a combination of them!), then you're on the right path to help yourself overcome this stressful time. :yep:

Keep an eye out throughout the week for more information and advice about stress!

DISCLAIMER:
Spoiler:
Show

This post was not written by a qualified medical professional, and should not be used in place of seeking advice from a medical professional. :nah: If you are feeling severely stressed, please see your GP, a counsellor, or talk to a trusted friend or family member to help you.

Well according to one of my friends stress isn’t real
Inherently
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Stress is my worst enemy.

Stress is what causes my stomach upsets.

:ashamed2:
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Well according to one of my friends stress isn’t real
How come?
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How come?
Don’t know why he thinks that, maybe it’s just the way he’s been brought up
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Keep your eyes peeled on the site in the next few days, as there'll be threads regarding how to deal with stress being posted in the mean time, make a list of everything you need to do in order of importance. This will help you visualise what you need to do and help it seem a bit more manageable.
OKay thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (36)
18.37%
Unconditional if firmed (14)
7.14%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
1.02%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.55%
No unconditional offers (139)
70.92%

Watched Threads