How much science is in Psychology A level?

Watch
drowsydaisy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have to pick my A levels and Psychology is one option but I wondered how similar it is to the sciences like biology, chemistry and physics. I always found them really boring and I don’t want to pick psychology if it will be the same. I’ve read quite a few books about psychology and found them interesting though so I’m really stuck
charlottehmoores
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by drowsydaisy)
I have to pick my A levels and Psychology is one option but I wondered how similar it is to the sciences like biology, chemistry and physics. I always found them really boring and I don’t want to pick psychology if it will be the same. I’ve read quite a few books about psychology and found them interesting though so I’m really stuck
Hi,

I did GCSE Psychology and have started it at A-level. It's definitely got some biology in it, but personally i think it's very interesting as I didn't really enjoy sciences. Theres no beating around the bush that it is a hard subject but it is very interesting. There is some maths involved (in research methods) but i'm not great at maths and find this fairly easy (mainly calculating mean, mode, median). If it's something you think you will find interesting to learn about different things such as memory, attachment and mental health problems, then i say go for it!
mxhnoor.v
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by charlottehmoores)
Hi,

I did GCSE Psychology and have started it at A-level. It's definitely got some biology in it, but personally i think it's very interesting as I didn't really enjoy sciences. Theres no beating around the bush that it is a hard subject but it is very interesting. There is some maths involved (in research methods) but i'm not great at maths and find this fairly easy (mainly calculating mean, mode, median). If it's something you think you will find interesting to learn about different things such as memory, attachment and mental health problems, then i say go for it!
what kind of topics do you cover?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Some. You study the main approaches, of which is the neurobiological model etc. which goes into depths about neurons, genes, brain regions etc. but then also you study more social approaches. I enjoyed it as a science
tfh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did A level Psychology. In general most of the units don't have any science in them like social psych. But the ones that do like bio psych have fairly straightforward science in them. I didn't take A level Biology and found that the content wasn't hard at all, it was just a bunch of facts that had to be remembered.
psy1011
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
theres a module on biopsychology and theres science here and there throughout the a level
charlottehmoores
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mxhnoor.v)
what kind of topics do you cover?
I do AQA and according to their website this is the specification:
1 Social influence
2 Memory
3 Attachment
4 Psychopathology
5 Approaches in Psychology
6 Biopsychology
7 Research methods
8 Issues and debates in Psychology
drowsydaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by charlottehmoores)
Hi,

Thank you so much, this has been really helpful!
drowsydaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Some. You study the main approaches, of which is the neurobiological model etc. which goes into depths about neurons, genes, brain regions etc. but then also you study more social approaches. I enjoyed it as a science
Thank you! That’s really helpful
drowsydaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by tfh)
I did A level Psychology. In general most of the units don't have any science in them like social psych. But the ones that do like bio psych have fairly straightforward science in them. I didn't take A level Biology and found that the content wasn't hard at all, it was just a bunch of facts that had to be remembered.
Thank you! That’s helped a lot
drowsydaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by psy1011)
theres a module on biopsychology and theres science here and there throughout the a level
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by drowsydaisy)
It involves a fair amount of biology, but not really chemistry or physics. You'll be looking at biological models of behaviour e.g. how the brain works, what different parts of the brain do, how they affect behaviour, what happens when the brain is damaged etc. This will all be fairly basic stuff at a-level, and it becomes a lot more science-y and in-depth if you take it to degree level. It is definitely not focused on biology, as there's a lot of social, cognitive, criminal, child etc. (depending on your specification) you'll be looking at as well. Biological/neurological stuff is only one section of the subject.
drowsydaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
It involves a fair amount of biology, but not really chemistry or physics. You'll be looking at biological models of behaviour e.g. how the brain works, what different parts of the brain do, how they affect behaviour, what happens when the brain is damaged etc. This will all be fairly basic stuff at a-level, and it becomes a lot more science-y and in-depth if you take it to degree level. It is definitely not focused on biology, as there's a lot of social, cognitive, criminal, child etc. (depending on your specification) you'll be looking at as well. Biological/neurological stuff is only one section of the subject.
Govvyghost
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I do AQA psychology for a level (I'm in year 13) and i have to say there is quite a bit of science. However, this is only in certain topics, like biopsychology, and is fairly straightforward science - I do biology and chemistry and personally I find the science really easy. Hope I helped
drowsydaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Govvyghost)
Hi, I do AQA psychology for a level (I'm in year 13) and i have to say there is quite a bit of science. However, this is only in certain topics, like biopsychology, and is fairly straightforward science - I do biology and chemistry and personally I find the science really easy. Hope I helped
This is really helpful, thank you!
tasha174
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I do Psychology a level and I also do biology. there is one topic in psychology I do which relates to biology gcse. it is just on synapse stuff but it is really easy and not too long.
drowsydaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by tasha174)
I do Psychology a level and I also do biology. there is one topic in psychology I do which relates to biology gcse. it is just on synapse stuff but it is really easy and not too long.
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (237)
60.93%
No (81)
20.82%
Not sure (71)
18.25%

Watched Threads