The Student Room Group

Self Harming Girlfriend with Panic Attack: how to help? TW

TW - self harm references

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So as the title may suggest my girlfriend has been cutting her arm whenever she gets panic attacks. She has been getting panic attacks for just under a year . We have been going out for quite some time and I found out last year. I thought she self-harmed as a one-time thing and wasn't going to do it again. However a couple of days ago I found out she has been doing it since January this year. When I confronted her she said she did it to feel better when she has panic attacks. She has been to therapy and refuses to go again so I don't know what to do as she says it doesn't help. Can anyone tell me how to help her, please?

Try to get a better understanding of how she thinks it helps her and find out her triggers for panic attacks.
Confrontation is not a good way of approaching the subject, as the poster above says understanding the panic attacks is a potential avenue. You could ask if she wants to talk about anything else that is causing issues.
Reply 3
So as the title may suggest my girlfriend has been cutting her arm whenever she gets panic attacks. She has been getting panic attacks for just under a year . We have been going out for quite some time and I found out last year. I thought she self-harmed as a one-time thing and wasn't going to do it again. However a couple of days ago I found out she has been doing it since January this year. When I confronted her she said she did it to feel better when she has panic attacks. She has been to therapy and refuses to go again so I don't know what to do as she says it doesn't help. Can anyone tell me how to help her, please?

honestly? you can't unless the person actually wants to stop their destructive behaviour, otherwise there's nothing you can do. yelling, trying to make her feel guilty, etc. won't solve anything.
Reply 4
Try to get a better understanding of how she thinks it helps her and find out her triggers for panic attacks.

I know the reason and it has been well resolved. Now the only reason for her panic attacks is her anxiety. Her anxiety is getting better but not her panic attacks.
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Confrontation is not a good way of approaching the subject, as the poster above says understanding the panic attacks is a potential avenue. You could ask if she wants to talk about anything else that is causing issues.

We have resolved the issues surrounding her panic attacks but she still has them whenever she is in a stressful situation and sometimes just randomly. What can I do to make her feel better or maybe myself as I have important exams to revise for!
We have resolved the issues surrounding her panic attacks but she still has them whenever she is in a stressful situation and sometimes just randomly. What can I do to make her feel better or maybe myself as I have important exams to revise for!

The only thing you can do is be supportive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending