?
Report 1 week ago
Wahey
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Happy with that, I think the speakership will regain its credibility under Lindsay Hoyle. Hopefully less contension than we saw under bercow who really let himself and the chair down in the end.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Happy with that, I think the speakership will regain its credibility under Lindsay Hoyle. Hopefully less contension than we saw under bercow who really let himself and the chair down in the end.
Hoyle won't use the privileged position of the chair to belittle MPs.

One thing the press didn't really report but almost all the Speakership candidates noted was Bercow playing favourites. If in every Brexit debate you had to hear from the Government, the Opposition, the SNP, the Liberals, the DUP, Anna Soubry, Ken Clarke, Sylvia Hermon, Dominic Grieve, Bill Cash, Oliver Letwin, Hilary Benn, Kate Hoey and Peter Bone, the rest of the House barely got a look in, particularly on time limited debates.

Reform of relationships between staff and MPs couldn't move forward whilst Bercow was there.

Hoyle wants to be transparent about publishing advice from the Clerks to the Speaker but he may need to break the Clerks' slavish devotion to precedents that have become obsolete through changes in circumstances. One of Bercow's sensible innovations was to allow emergency debates and urgent questions far more widely than previously. Years used to pass between emergency debates. Bercow's innovation had the effect of keeping the Commons at the centre of political life. If MPs cannot debate important news developments in the Commons they will do it in TV studios. Almost certainly the Clerks' advice would have been against allowing virtually all of these debates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (12)
27.27%
Spring (7)
15.91%
Autumn/Fall (13)
29.55%
Winter (8)
18.18%
I love them all equally (4)
9.09%