The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

What are my options - Drop Out, Transfer...?

Hello,

I am currently a first year student studying Fine Art in Leeds. I've found that I'm not really enjoying my course as much as I thought I would. I'm not sure what I should do. I got an unconditional offer from MMU before and really loved the uni, their fine art course, etc. I would consider studying there instead, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I would want to be in their halls so that I can make friends, and I'm also nervous about transferring this year (let's say around December), as people will have already made friends/the accommodation will be full by that point.

Is it possible to wait this year out in Leeds, see how I get on, and then possibly reapply for MMU Fine Art first year entry as a late UCAS application for 2020 entry?

Would this even work? How would this affect my student loan? Would they accept me as a first-year entrant if I have already completed a year of uni elsewhere?

Any help is appreciated x
Original post by Betsy_Lou
Hello,

I am currently a first year student studying Fine Art in Leeds. I've found that I'm not really enjoying my course as much as I thought I would. I'm not sure what I should do. I got an unconditional offer from MMU before and really loved the uni, their fine art course, etc. I would consider studying there instead, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I would want to be in their halls so that I can make friends, and I'm also nervous about transferring this year (let's say around December), as people will have already made friends/the accommodation will be full by that point.

Is it possible to wait this year out in Leeds, see how I get on, and then possibly reapply for MMU Fine Art first year entry as a late UCAS application for 2020 entry?

Would this even work? How would this affect my student loan? Would they accept me as a first-year entrant if I have already completed a year of uni elsewhere?

Almost certain they wont let you transfer mid year, but ask.
You can see this year out or take a gap and then apply for MMU now with a view to starting year 1.
Yes you would be fine. Everyone gets a gift year to cover situations like this or fails, so you will still have full finance although if something happens in the future you are not guaranteed funding.

I suggest before you commit you think very carefully about the degree you want to do and whether art is for you.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Hello,

Hi there,

I am currently studying at Manchester metropolitan university and staying in Halls, there is a girl in my flat who also studies Fine Art.

The reason I am replying is because I am moving out of halls to a house with my best friend but need to find a replacement for my room in halls (£112/week), so it’s not too late if you were to transfer here to find accommodation.

Let me know if you decide to transfer here or if you have any questions regarding accommodation.

Charlie
Hello,

Hi,

As @999tigger mentioned, we do not accept transfer mid-term i'm afraid. However, we can consider transfers for September. If you were to complete your first year in Fine Art at Leeds, then potentially you could apply for Year 2 entry on to our Fine Art here. However, this isn't guaranteed and would be looked at on an individual basis. The tutor would need to see that the content you covered at Leeds closely relates to what we offer here, and would look at your results for each module. Alternatively you are welcome to apply for Year 1.

To apply you will need to re-register on UCAS for 2020 and apply on there. You can submit an application now, and if you change your mind you can always withdraw your application. We say this, as we cannot guarantee that the course will still be open after the initial deadline of the 15th January, as the course may be full.

Hope this helps :smile:

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest