Majority of pre-existing Pokemon will be cut from the next game Watch

Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
...according to some leaks. That means they will not be accessible at all in the upcoming titles - you won't be able to transfer them over, or cheat to get them.
Here's a graphic showing it.

Some stats:
- No legendary/mythical/UB Pokémon from generations 1-7 have made the cut, aside from Mew
- Gen V is the only generation for which the majority of its Pokémon have been retained: 85 out of a total of 156 (57%)
- Meanwhile, Gen III was the hardest-hit, with only 31% of its Pokémon surviving into the new games
- All starter Pokémon lines (except Charmander-Charizard) have been cut
- In general, early generations had a higher proportion of cuts than newer ones
- 320 Pokémon survive, out of 807.

The cuts that I'm sad about:
- Bagon-Salamence, Shinx-Luxray, Beldum-Metagross, Zoroark, Lugia, Absol

The inclusions that I'm baffled by:
Qwilfish and Basculin.

Got some thoughts on this? Any cuts that surprise you? or any that you're glad made it through?

Right now there's no way in hell that I buy a Switch just for this game.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe they think if they remove the popular pokemon but keep stuff people forget about, they'll get more attention??? Might be funny to see a dynamaxed Qwilfish though

I find it somewhat bizarre especially since their most recent advertisement was based on the concept of bringing your pokemon through the different generations up to "full HD models" or whatever (even though they're the same models from the 3DS anyway), which is...not...possible...

It is pretty disappointing overall. The Switch however has a great library from what I've seen so I've been considering getting one anyway, so I might be inclined to pick it up second hand in CEX or something next year. Definitely not worth full ticket price at present I think though.
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Still waiting for a fighting and flying type...
ellaswords
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
is this for pokemon sword/shield because my brother has a switch & is a big fan & was considering purchasing one of the games. but he doesn’t know which so if you don’t mind me asking, although i’m clueless to most things in the pokemon world, what are the differences between the games of you know?
thank you!
flumefan1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Hawlucha?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ellaswords)
is this for pokemon sword/shield because my brother has a switch & is a big fan & was considering purchasing one of the games. but he doesn’t know which so if you don’t mind me asking, although i’m clueless to most things in the pokemon world, what are the differences between the games of you know?
thank you!
The only differences tend to be the Pokémon available in-game.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by flumefan1)
Hawlucha?
Oh yeah, I forgot about him 😂
ellaswords
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
The only differences tend to be the Pokémon available in-game.
okay! thank you, have a rep!
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Hawlucha...
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well it is based on Britain, so obviously no deal on working visas could be agreed for those foreign Pokémon to come over here and take our native Pokemon's jobs
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
...according to some leaks. That means they will not be accessible at all in the upcoming titles - you won't be able to transfer them over, or cheat to get them.
Here's a graphic showing it.

Some stats:
- No legendary/mythical/UB Pokémon from generations 1-7 have made the cut, aside from Mew
- Gen V is the only generation for which the majority of its Pokémon have been retained: 85 out of a total of 156 (57%)
- Meanwhile, Gen III was the hardest-hit, with only 31% of its Pokémon surviving into the new games
- All starter Pokémon lines (except Charmander-Charizard) have been cut
- In general, early generations had a higher proportion of cuts than newer ones
- 320 Pokémon survive, out of 807.

The cuts that I'm sad about:
- Bagon-Salamence, Shinx-Luxray, Beldum-Metagross, Zoroark, Lugia, Absol

The inclusions that I'm baffled by:
Qwilfish and Basculin.

Got some thoughts on this? Any cuts that surprise you? or any that you're glad made it through?

Right now there's no way in hell that I buy a Switch just for this game.
Honestly, I'm upset :sad: I was genuinely excited to see all or if not most of the Pokémon make it to Gen VIII. Like you, I was going to get a Switch just for this game, but if they're cutting out most of the old Pokémon, then I just don't think there's going to be a point. I really don't like that they spent decades creating all these Pokémon, just to cut over half of them out of the game. It just seems like such a waste of time.
In all seriousness, I wouldn't even have minded if they didn't introduce new Pokémon in Sword/Shield and just changed the game mechanics round a bit
KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Haven't checked the Pokedex for this game... but if the Abra evolution chain ain't in it I riot :mad:
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi)
Haven't checked the Pokedex for this game... but if the Abra evolution chain ain't in it I riot :mad:
Name:  IMG_20191109_070030.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  397.2 KB

This is the leaked Pokédex - green in, orange in but new forme, white out.

What i love is the Lillipup line, a set based on terrier dogs, isn't in a game based on the UK.
Last edited by Stiff Little Fingers; 3 days ago
KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Name:  IMG_20191109_070030.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  397.2 KB

This is the leaked Pokédex - green in, orange in but new forme, white out.

What i love is the Lillipup line, a set based on terrier dogs, isn't in a game based on the UK.
Welp, where's my pitchfork?

:mob:

Also yeah, that's a little daft not to have Lillipup's chain in it :P
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I get why they are doing this, I just think they are doing it wrong.

They have a couple of problems that have been growing in their serries:

1, the number of pokemon is getting to big, and will only get bigger! Its to much for a high quality story driven game.
2, The ever increasing complexity of the battling system doesn't match the non-evolving casual play of the games at all. The battling has gotten more advanced, the games have gotten easier.

For me, the obvious solution is to divorce the serrious battling from the games.

Release two switch games:
1 = pokemon story game

1 = pokemon battling game

---

The story game is exactly what we are used to. Its a story, that's designed for younger players (although please can they add dificulty levels and randomizers, to save the fans having to do it for them. Randomizers add so so much replayablity and its so easy to add as an option. Heck if they are worried about people not having the original experiance, make it so that you only unlock the randomizer after you finish the game).

The story only has what ever smaller number of pokemon they want in it, and the battling system is kept simpler. No EV/IV stuff that you don't need for singleplayer etc.

Then you have the battle game. No story, just perfectly optimised for battling each other. All the pokemon ever are possible and can be transfered from other games. As much complexity as you want, as many modes and options as you want etc. You can even put in an 'ulimited mode' where people can try using any pokemon, even ones they don't own, aka pokemon stadium etc.

---

Anyway, that's what I would do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (238)
53.72%
18-20 years old (no) (57)
12.87%
20-25 years old (yes) (72)
16.25%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2.03%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.42%