Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve heard it’s bad to wake someone up with sleep paralysis because it’s very damaging. Is this true?
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve heard it’s bad to wake someone up with sleep paralysis because it’s very damaging. Is this true?
i don't think so. i think that rule only applies to sleepwalking?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the don't wake up from sleepwalking is apparently a bit of a myth, (info from QI here, not wikipedia!)
sleepwalkers are more likely to damage themselves ...so better to wake

however sleep paralysis exists in deep sleep , amongst other things, so that the cereal-spinal fluid can be flushed, cleaned, de-cancerised etc (we seem to catch cancer approx 4 times per day, and the built-in human biology repairs finds and neutralise them all, mostly, most days)

but actually sleep science is still lacking full understanding, sleeping 'us' is an alternate 'us'. (according to JJJ radio Aussie podcasts from Dr. Karl - late nights on BBC Radio 5 "Up All Night" - well worth the effort, if you're not paralytic at 3am)
MBa16.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
^^^^ I thought so but my friends seemed to think it was harmful...
Last edited by MBa16.; 1 year ago
MBa16.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
the don't wake up from sleepwalking is apparently a bit of a myth, (info from QI here, not wikipedia!)
sleepwalkers are more likely to damage themselves ...so better to wake

however sleep paralysis exists in deep sleep , amongst other things, so that the cereal-spinal fluid can be flushed, cleaned, de-cancerised etc (we seem to catch cancer approx 4 times per day, and the built-in human biology repairs finds and neutralise them all, mostly, most days)

but actually sleep science is still lacking full understanding, sleeping 'us' is an alternate 'us'. (according to JJJ radio Aussie podcasts from Dr. Karl - late nights on BBC Radio 5 "Up All Night" - well worth the effort, if you're not paralytic at 3am)
Thank you!!
Last edited by MBa16.; 1 year ago
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MBa16.)
^^^^ I thought so but my friends seemed to think it was harmful...
It's impossible to wake someone up when they are already awake, what sleep paralysis is, is when your brain wakes up a few moments before your body wakes up ( your muscles haven't yet come from their sleep state) so you can't move, however your brain is becoming aware. It can be a little frightening but can't be harmful as your mind can play tricks on you in such a state.
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JaseyB)
It's impossible to wake someone up when they are already awake, what sleep paralysis is, is when your brain wakes up a few moments before your body wakes up ( your muscles haven't yet come from their sleep state) so you can't move, however your brain is becoming aware. It can be a little frightening but can't be harmful as your mind can play tricks on you in such a state.
Yes, I've had sleep paralysis a few times and experienced some scary hallucinations with it. It can feel very real at the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (17)
34%
No (33)
66%

Watched Threads