Do Poland Medical Graduates join FY1 or FY2 standalone (Like Bulgaria grads)

Watch
ellie80
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If you study medicine in Poland at Lodz, Lublin, Warsaw, Silesia, Poznan
(6 year course or 4 year for grad entry into 3rd year)

Do these Polish medical schools include an internship like the Bulgarian ones and hence not allow entry into pre registration (FY1) but rather into full registration (a standalone FY2 programme)

I asked the GMC the person said they don't have the info on which ones include an internship or not etc.
I rang an agency and they didn't know either.

So does anyone know about this and have they studied there or know anyone who studied there and went into either FY1 or FY2?

Its 6 year (4 year for grad entry) so I'm assuming theres an internship but I'm not sure.
Last edited by ellie80; 1 year ago
ellie80
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've asked the GMC this question the rep didn't know and told me to speak to people in the NHS, after speaking to recruiters and staff who work there and they didn't know. Anyone on here have any idea maybe?

QUESTION:
graduates of some overseas medical schools where they have already completed an internship cannot enter the FY1 standard junior doctor programme which leads on to FY2, because their internship counts as equivalent to an FY1 year and so makes you ineligible for pre-reg with the GMC but eligible for full registration

So instead they have to apply for the "standalone FY2 year "
The problem with this, is there were approx: 930 applicants for 550 places and only 346 people were actually taken on.

I know of one alternative is the WAST "widening access to specialty training" programme for GP and Psychiatry, but I don't know how many applicants to places they have for this.

Another alternative is to become a "Trust grade doctor"
However the problem with this route isn't a structured programme, so how do you go from this to achieve the equivalent of FY2/ being eligible for specialty/core training?
Do you have to keep moving from job to job get competencies signed off?

How long can you expect to get stuck in this role before you are eligible/ get chance to move to specialty training or can compete reasonably with the standard UK graduates who have completed the FY1 + FY2 programme to get into a specialty/core training?
Last edited by ellie80; 1 year ago
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As far as I know, graduates from all Eastern European medical schools in the EU do an internship in final year. Whichever country you study in: Romania, Poland, Bulgaria, Latvia, Hungary, Ukraine, Czech Republic - they’re all the same. Your internship will prepare you for UK Foundation Programme to varying levels depending on your medical school. You aren’t eligible to apply for 2-year UKFP in the same way that UK graduates do. With full registration you can apply for LAS jobs at FY1 level to get experience, but take the responsibility yourself for getting training competencies and teaching completed. Then apply for FY2 LAT using the experience you’ve gained and move on to a specialty pathway as normal.

Trust grade positions are usually at specialty training level so they need you to have already completed FY. You won’t be entering the system at this point. I suggest you don’t apply for trust grade positions anyway as these have little support and need you to practise independently without any recognition for your skills. It’s easy to become stuck in this job indefinitely and be unable to move up the career ladder. Most doctors I meet in these trust grade jobs are from outside the EU and/or didn’t start working from FY level in the UK.
Last edited by asif007; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads