GCSE's Watch

Closer*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
in need of some reassurance...

if anyone has got into a good university without an a* GCSE please say!
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes- but not on the top courses!

and obv there will be some uni's that accept you but obv not Oxbridge unless its a really **** course
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes. but how do you class good?

and it's GCSEs. it's not a possessive or contraction.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It really depends on what course you are interested in & at what university. For example you may have a hard time getting a place at a decent university for medicine or law without a*'s unless their were mitigating circumstances. LSE & Durham are also known to be fussy about GCSE's particularly for their top courses [Economics & History respectivley].
qwestor
Report 10 years ago
I always look at the GCSE grades in some detail - looking for high grades and also a spread of grades across the subjects taken. Top universities can ask for top GCSE grades and reject those (unfairly maybe) who do not have A* grades.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by malsi101)
yes- but not on the top courses!

and obv there will be some uni's that accept you but obv not Oxbridge unless its a really **** course
Don't talk about things you know nothing about. Oxbridge generally don't look at Oxbridge anymore. I know someone there who didn't get an A* at GCSE. You are more likely (on the basis of grades alone) to get into some courses, history for example at Oxbridge without a A* than you are at Durham.

Anyway, I think the OP has already been reassured about this on another thread.
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by qwestor)
I always look at the GCSE grades in some detail - looking for high grades and also a spread of grades across the subjects taken. Top universities can ask for top GCSE grades and reject those (unfairly maybe) who do not have A* grades.
o_0 Are you an admissions tutor?
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Don't talk about things you know nothing about. Oxbridge generally don't look at Oxbridge anymore. I know someone there who didn't get an A* at GCSE. You are more likely (on the basis of grades alone) to get into some courses, history for example at Oxbridge without a A* than you are at Durham.

Anyway, I think the OP has already been reassured about this on another thread.

what?

All I meant was ofcourse some Uni's will accept the OP for some courses but not sure if he can get into top courses like med without A*, which is not wrong of me!
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what?

All I meant was ofcourse some Uni's will accept the OP for some courses but not sure if he can get into top courses like med without A*, which is not wrong of me!
You said Oxbridge wouldn't accept the OP unless it was for a "***" course. GCSEs are, generally speaking, not used as a filter in most courses at Oxbridge.
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You said Oxbridge wouldn't accept the OP unless it was for a "***" course. GCSEs are, generally speaking, not used as a filter in most courses at Oxbridge.
Ok. I guess your post is a nice one to hear considering!!- as some people say people like the OP don't even have a chance of getting into oxbridge without A*, but yours states otherwise which gives them hope
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok. I guess your post is a nice one to hear considering!!- as some people say people like the OP don't even have a chance of getting into oxbridge without A*, but yours states otherwise which gives them hope
Yes, because Oxbridge barely look at GCSEs. They aren't a major factor at all. Durham, LSE and other universities are more strict. Even in these universities it can vary by course (and year).
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, because Oxbridge barely look at GCSEs. They aren't a major factor at all. Durham, LSE and other universities are more strict. Even in these universities it can vary by course (and year).

Tha's good of you to say yet I hope itt's not false hope:p: for people like me and the OP as many people think people with C's and B's dont stand a slight chance of getting in yet might have all A's at a levels!, But you have just given a little hope like I said!

I know that Oxbridge allow you to explain maybe why you've underperformed at GCSE's which is good of them, and lets people have a chance
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Tha's good of you to say yet I hope itt's not false hope:p: for people like me and the OP as many people think people with C's and B's dont stand a slight chance of getting in yet might have all A's at a levels!, But you have just given a little hope like I said!

I know that Oxbridge allow you to explain maybe why you've underperformed at GCSE's which is good of them, and lets people have a chance
Of course if someone only got Cs and Ds then that may be pushing it. But they do not expect all applicants of have a string of A*s.

Oxbridge have the advantage of interviewing all applicants. Other universities, such as Durham, don't. Not for most courses, anyway. This means that they need to use GCSEs as a "filter" and do expect As and A*s at GCSE. Oxbridge are able to asses candidates in a face-to-face interview so concentrate more on that rather than good GCSEs.

That's why you can't get into Durham (for history) without a high number of A*s at GCSE but you can still potentially get into Oxford without any A*s at all.

But even this doesn't apply to all courses at other top universities. At Durham you can't get into history without A*s at GCSE but you still may be able to get into something like philosopy or law. A lot of it is also course dependant.
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course if someone only got Cs and Ds then that may be pushing it. But they do not expect all applicants of have a string of A*s.

Oxbridge have the advantage of interviewing all applicants. Other universities, such as Durham, don't. Not for most courses, anyway. This means that they need to use GCSEs as a "filter" and do expect As and A*s at GCSE. Oxbridge are able to asses candidates in a face-to-face interview so concentrate more on that rather than good GCSEs.

That's why you can't get into Durham (for history) without a high number of A*s at GCSE but you can still potentially get into Oxford without any A*s at all.

But even this doesn't apply to all courses at other top universities. At Durham you can't get into history without A*s at GCSE but you still may be able to get into something like philosopy or law. A lot of it is also course dependant.
Yeah, I guess so.

Love that oxbridge assess on interview. It gives people more chances to make up for not having A*'s.

But it is depressing other uni's like Durham require A*'s to be accepted onto History and possibly other courses too.

But like you say it's all course dependant and there will be at least one Uni out there that will accept someone onto history without A*'s that will be required [like durham require]as all Uni's are different, even if that means you have to go to a lower ranked Uni, at least its something instead of not going to any uni at all.
Buffyboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well lets be honest, you can't get into a great university without great A levels. Your unlikely to get great A levels without great GCSE's.
Ryanhickman90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Buffyboy)
Well lets be honest, you can't get into a great university without great A levels. Your unlikely to get great A levels without great GCSE's.
What do you class as great though?

I got 8B's and C's at GCSE - not too great I suppose...
But I got ABB at A level, in (mostly) respectable subjects (English, History, Performance Studies)...which I think is fab.
I think it's all about effort, and the amount you put in. For example, I ****ed about in GCSE and AS, and worked my arse off in A2...
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Buffyboy)
That's not true at all. I know quite a few people with 'average' GCSEs (Cs and Bs) who have gone on to get AAA at a level. Good GCSEs don't mean you'll get good A levels just as bad GCSEs don't mean you'll get bad A levels.
Ryanhickman90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Closer*)
in need of some reassurance...

if anyone has got into a good university without an a* GCSE please say!
I'm going to Leicester, which, from what I've heard/read, is a good Uni (12th on the 2009 League Table) - I didn't get one A* - I didn't even get one A...
ColonelJammie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay, so I got 2 A*s, 4 As and 5 Bs at GCSE. Admittedly, I didn't work at all and could have done better but those aren't bad results.
I'm just about to start AS History, English Lit/Lang, French and Classical Civilisation.

I'd really like to go into Law or study Ancient History/History at Uni. What do you think my chances are, if I work my butt off for the next 2 years, of getting into somewhere like Durham? Do my Bs at GCSE instantly make me a weaker candidate or can I redeem myself?
Ignoramus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ColonelJammie)
Okay, so I got 2 A*s, 4 As and 5 Bs at GCSE. Admittedly, I didn't work at all and could have done better but those aren't bad results.
I'm just about to start AS History, English Lit/Lang, French and Classical Civilisation.

I'd really like to go into Law or study Ancient History/History at Uni. What do you think my chances are, if I work my butt off for the next 2 years, of getting into somewhere like Durham? Do my Bs at GCSE instantly make me a weaker candidate or can I redeem myself?
You should be OK if you get As with good UMS at AS and A2 (by this I mean 90%+). You should explain that you didn't work hard at GCSE on you PS but are now committed to your studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads