people who act like they know it all Watch

gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
Interesting to hear.

My sixth form teachers also expect this of us, especially those of us aiming for As & A*s, especially in Physics, you don't stand a chance without any prep work as the teachers teach the lessons assuming everyone has done the preparation, no topic introductions. What subject do you teach?
The earlier you get into these habits the better it is

Philosophy
Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Funny. Generally all students have predicted grades.
But I’ll bet the ones who annoy you will have higher ones
No he's right about predicted grades, those of us starting Y12 don't actually have predicted grades yet (although we're going to be given them soon). However I completely agree with you, as someone who wants A*s as predicted grades, you absolutely need to do the prep work, as teachers also base predicted grades off how well you perform in the classroom to a certain extent, in addition to exams, but to be honest preparation work helps with both.
kannmnn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You’re right that people who pretend to know everything are really annoying
But prereading in itself is a really good idea. Also you’ll be able to answer questions and know things about the topic before hand- which would speed up your rate of learning
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
No he's right about predicted grades, those of us starting Y12 don't actually have predicted grades yet (although we're going to be given them soon). However I completely agree with you, as someone who wants A*s as predicted grades, you absolutely need to do the prep work, as teachers also base predicted grades off how well you perform in the classroom to a certain extent, in addition to exams, but to be honest preparation work helps with both.
Im sure you will do well
And I’m making a wild guess here that you probably come from a background that really knows the value of education.
Good luck
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Im sure you will do well
And I’m making a wild guess here that you probably come from a background that really knows the value of education.
Good luck
Thank you . I do come from quite an academic family, which can be pressurising at times (very high expectations) but I think it definitely helped my in terms of revision. Good luck to you too, in whatever you're doing at the moment .
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
I go through the teaching calendars and do a preread of every topic before, the lesson, then revise it afterwards. There's nothing wrong with doing this. It's what gets you a good grade. Stop complaining and do it yourself and see the results, maybe then you won't mind so much. 'act like they know everything'.... If you preread that's the point, you do know everything beforehand. I do it because I want good grades, not to show off how much I know (although that can be an added bonus), but I would never pretend to know it all naturally, I'd say how I knew it....

Hello fellow pre-reader . What subjects are you studying and what level of study are you at?

Exactly so.
Hello:awesome:
I am studying Psychology, computer science and business.. wbu?
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zain_Ahmed)
Maths, Further Maths & Economics, with EPQ. Good luck with your studies
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Are you doing AQA psychology?
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Pre-reading is a good exercise. I did everything a-level maths and further maths before we covered them in the class, so lessons were pretty chill. Doing something similar at uni atm. This is just out of interest for the subject. You can also talk about your explorations in your subject outside the classroom in your personal statement/any interviews. So I don't see anything bad with it. Dunning-Kruger is strong with some people however and they'll claim to "know" some advanced topic and yet have a poor grasp of the basics.
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)
Are you doing AQA psychology?
Ye... it's pretty easy tbh..
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ye... it's pretty easy tbh..
IKR especially the topic on memory, the multi-storey model is such a simple concept to understand, the different types of Ltm episodic, semantic and procedural are so easy to remember.
SlasherHacks13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Agreed. I mean I sometimes pre read for fun (yes I know I’m weird) but I don’t shove it in people’s faces. People who do that aggravate me
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I always have to pre read for chemistry because my chemistry teacher exclusively picks on me and another girl instead of teaching us
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As far as I am concerned, uni is about self-directed study and if you actually want to learn something at uni, you'll have to be self-motivated and study on your own. If you're not at uni yet, it doesn't matter as I assume your goal is to go to uni and be a good student, get a good job, etc.

So this pre-study or w/e BS is very unhelpful. All study is pre-study, a lot of top students I knew read material which was not even on the reading list. let alone on a particular week's list.

There's a difference between pretending to know something and actually reading something you weren't supposed to read that week. If they use that material in class and you're ignorant of it, tough. They're not doing anything wrong. Step your game up.
Discrepancy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
You're coming across as petty and bitter here.

Students should read around the material, ask/answer questions, and show a willingness to engage and discuss the content. Instead of faulting them for it why don't you take it as an example to improve upon your own learning?
PRSOM
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I read ahead quite a lot (I taught myself lots of A level chemistry in years 9-11, and self-taught several chapters of A level maths near the end of year 11). I'm in year 13 now and don't really do this anymore, but if something that I already know comes up in class I try not to act like a know-it-all.

I do remember reading ahead to a ridiculous extent when I was in the younger years and trying far too hard to impress the teachers, but it took me a while to realise what it looked like.
Ectover_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I admit that I do read up quite often ahead of lessons and I do end up putting my hand up a lot. (I’m literally the only person in class who puts their hand up). It’s not a matter of shoving it in your face because I couldn’t care about what people think of me but I just do it to engage with the lesson instead of being lost. I hate it so much when people think I’m trying to show off when I’m literally trying to be engaged and improve my learning.
Last edited by Ectover_; 1 week ago
PepeTheFroggi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if i know whats going on in class and am bored i just sit there an eat lol. teacher doesnt care
bribriaa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean, I don't pre-read, but if it bothers you, can't you just pre-read it too lmao? it's petty c'mon, let them enjoy it.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For maths A Level I find that for certain students, learning the topic before it's taught in class can give the student so much confidence in the material and allow them to contribute in lessons more and ask more questions. Learning a topic twice in two different ways can be so useful. This isn't recommended for all students and I'm sure that for a lot of students this would be the last thing they would do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (30)
25.86%
Spring (24)
20.69%
Autumn/Fall (32)
27.59%
Winter (22)
18.97%
I love them all equally (8)
6.9%