people who act like they know it all Watch

Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anonymous9748)
who else hates when people pre-read before learning a topic in class. and then act like they know everything in class .. just me lol ?
Frankly I find the lazy prats who don't bother doing the pre-reading, then slow the class down to a crawl to be more of an annoyance. I'd much rather deal with someone putting the effort in and then trying to show off, than someone who puts no effort in at all.

"When did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics"
"Last night"
spacegirl3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
If they DO know the content then what's the problem? It's a good thing to engage in classes/lectures.
Exactly
AM_TSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Doesn't annoy me. It pushes me to work harder tbh
Paul1990s
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Oh boy, how dare they read beforehand! Bloody scoundrels.
The post wasn't about that. It's not about resenting people for reading up beforehand. It's about people who do this reading up so as they can come across like they already know everything in the lecture/seminar, instead of listening to the lecturer who is there to give us valuable knowledge and pointers. The post was just about that causing irritation to others in a class.
JakeTSR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Frankly I find the lazy prats who don't bother doing the pre-reading, then slow the class down to a crawl to be more of an annoyance. I'd much rather deal with someone putting the effort in and then trying to show off, than someone who puts no effort in at all.

"When did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics"
"Last night"
Ok well that’s nice. But this post is about people who flaunt there knowledge excessively. I’ve been in classes that have been ruined by the odd individual trying to engage in over complex topics which make the class less accessible to everyone. If they wish to engage in such discussions they should do so in their on time and respect the different levels of people.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JakeTSR)
But this post is about people who flaunt there knowledge excessively.
Given that you're not the OP, I don't think you can actively say what the post is and is not about.

Frankly I'd rather have someone trying to show off and then maybe I learn something new, over someone that can't follow along and stops the class every 5 seconds to ask questions. Given the choice of extremes, I'd rather take the pace of the fastest student over the slowest. In reality though, it doesn't actually work like that.

Of course rather than letting your classes get ruined, speak up and do something about it. Respectfully ask them to have those conversations in their own time so you can focus. Have a discussion with whoever is leading the class since they also have responsibility. Not that it's a bad thing for people to ask questions and engage in discussion outside the scope of the class. But badmouthing these people online makes you just as much a part of the problem.
safia.2002
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anonymous9748)
who else hates when people pre-read before learning a topic in class. and then act like they know everything in class .. just me lol ?
There's this girl in biology and she acts like she knows it all. It's quite annoying for us and I can see that my teacher is quite annoyed with her as well. She does pre-reading for work that is like 2 weeks ahead. I don't want to hate but .. She gets below average on her tests , keeps on putting her hand up for every single thing we go over and i feel like she intentionally acts stupid and she reminds the teacher about homework essays etc. She is a really nice person .. It doesn't really matter now - we don't have much time left in school anyway.
JakeTSR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Given that you're not the OP, I don't think you can actively say what the post is and is not about.

Frankly I'd rather have someone trying to show off and then maybe I learn something new, over someone that can't follow along and stops the class every 5 seconds to ask questions. Given the choice of extremes, I'd rather take the pace of the fastest student over the slowest. In reality though, it doesn't actually work like that.

Of course rather than letting your classes get ruined, speak up and do something about it. Respectfully ask them to have those conversations in their own time so you can focus. Have a discussion with whoever is leading the class since they also have responsibility. Not that it's a bad thing for people to ask questions and engage in discussion outside the scope of the class. But badmouthing these people online makes you just as much a part of the problem.
I think you’ve missed the point.
Last edited by JakeTSR; 1 week ago
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I do pre reading so I’m already familiar with the content in the lessons.
dsmith23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Reading ahead makes it much easier to follower what you're presented and allows you to think about it on a deeper level. Reading ahead is good.

I get it though that it can be a bit cringey when someone pipes up every few minutes trying to anticipate what the teacher/lecturer is going to say, but at least when that happens the lecturer often divulges additional info that is either a bit tangential to the topic or offers deeper insight. In both instances it is beneficial to your learning, so even if that one person is a bit annoying... well, they're still probably bettering your own learning, too.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you’ve missed the point.
I'm well aware of the sort of person OP has their gripe against and have encountered them myself before just like everyone else. I'm saying that a totally different group of people irritate me far more. Do I wish they'd shut up and let the lecturer get on? Sometimes yeah. Is it a big deal? Not at all, and if someone feels like it is a big deal, they are perfectly entitled to do something about it.

Realistically the OP sounds like someone who has that one person in their class and is venting on the Internet. It's the typical "trash talk behind their back rather than address the problem" post.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok well that’s nice. But this post is about people who flaunt there knowledge excessively. I’ve been in classes that have been ruined by the odd individual trying to engage in over complex topics which make the class less accessible to everyone. If they wish to engage in such discussions they should do so in their on time and respect the different levels of people.
Yes, I think you've got a good point here, actually. I can think of lectures where an individual was actually more interested in 'showing off' his knowledge to the lecturer than genuinely trying to understand material that was being presented to him. This took up time, took the lecturer off topic and generally disrupted the flow of the lecture.
It's slightly selfish and arrogant. If a student wants to show off his extra reading to a lecturer that's fine: just do it by email, or in person rather than derail a lecture to 80+ students.
LaPregunta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Beat them to it. Read above your level and question them on something they will not know. Embarrass them. Works everytime.

(You may get in trouble.)
Paul1990s
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by safia.2002)
There's this girl in biology and she acts like she knows it all. It's quite annoying for us and I can see that my teacher is quite annoyed with her as well. She does pre-reading for work that is like 2 weeks ahead. I don't want to hate but .. She gets below average on her tests , keeps on putting her hand up for every single thing we go over and i feel like she intentionally acts stupid and she reminds the teacher about homework essays etc. She is a really nice person .. It doesn't really matter now - we don't have much time left in school anyway.
Wow has she been bullied at all?
safia.2002
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Paul1990s)
Wow has she been bullied at all?
No. She is quite popular and liked.
Paul1990s
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by safia.2002)
No. She is quite popular and liked.
Interesting...I suppose some people can pull off being teacher's pet and still be liked!
safia.2002
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Paul1990s)
Interesting...I suppose some people can pull off being teacher's pet and still be liked!
Actually she is far from being the teachers pet. I can see the frustration on my teachers face whenever she asks a stupid question on something we covered a few seconds ago.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (30)
25.86%
Spring (24)
20.69%
Autumn/Fall (32)
27.59%
Winter (22)
18.97%
I love them all equally (8)
6.9%