Help help with English language GCSE paper 2 question 4

Watch this thread
alrif002
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Please help me, can you mark for me this and how I can improve it.

Q4) you need to refer to source A and source B for this question.

Compare how the two writers convey their different attitudes to life and death.
[16 marks]

[attach]859256

[/attach]Attachment 859258Attachment 859260

Firstly, in source A Brooks state that “this meditation on death is intended as a key to better living”, suggest that people should think about their own mortality in order to make the most of life. Also it is implies that Brooks attitude toward the death in positive way and it is something normal; you need to think about so you can live a blissful life. In contrast, in source B Dostoevsky shows the life is precious when he used repetition in phrase “Life is everywhere life, life in ourselves”. The implication is that Dostoevsky is now deeply aware of the preciousness of life, having faced his own death. This leads the reader to feel sorrowful for Dostoevsky. The difference between Brooks and Dostoevsky attitude is that Brooks seeing death as something easy and you need to be prepared for it, while Dostoevsky state that death is not effortless and “life” is really significant.

A further point that Brooks ’ ideas are based on the fact that people living in 21st century Britain tend to spend more time watching TV than doing anything worthwhile. This implies that Brooks trying to force the people to think more about their hereafter and to be more approach to God; this is shows when he used the phrase “religious and spiritual activities”. However, Dostoevsky’s ideas are based on the fear that he had when he thought he would never see his brother again. This is supported by the personal language “I asked to see you”, which suggests that he wondered if he can see his brother at least once again prior he die. This makes the reader to feel emotional and empathetic; also to let him:het to wishful to Dostoevsky to meet his brother again. The difference between Brooks and Dostoevsky that in source A , Brooks trying to encourage people to suspect about their demise, whereas in source B, Dostoevsky trying to conveys his message, that death is not an easy or simple, it is really grievous and horrible.
Last edited by alrif002; 2 years ago
alrif002
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Attachment 859296
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (137)
66.83%
No (46)
22.44%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.73%

Watched Threads