Why are some people psychologically more sex-obsessed than others? Watch

Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Why are some people psychologically more sex-obsessed than others?
What factors determine this?

btw - keep this a serious discussion. I like studying the psychology of serial killers. I try and understand why they are the way they are ...
fleur de lis
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
What does being sex obsessed have to do with being a serial killer? :confused: Or is your second comment not connected?
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its just like different people have different heights etc, theres always a variance. Itll have a lot to do with sex-hormone production Id assume, as this determines labido levels etc.
Lord Hysteria
(Original post by fleur de lis)
What does being sex obsessed have to do with being a serial killer? :confused: Or is your second comment not connected?
It comes, I think, to the same thing - that is an obsession.
The serial killer can't control it, and is the opposite extreme end but what I am asking is why some people are more sex-obsessed than others.

Spoiler:
Show
When I saw fleur de lis, I though it was going to be a comment about his thread being closed. :p:
I love your sig btw - made me LOL
Alive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
It comes, I think, to the same thing - that is an obsession.
The serial killer can't control it, and is the opposite extreme end but what I am asking is why some people are more sex-obsessed than others.
Surely you may as well ask why some people are obsessed with World of Warcraft? I still don't see the connection.
Nothos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because they're between the age of 12-18 and have a Y chromosome.
Rocking-Rob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just like your body on the exterior, the chemical makeup of your brain differs from person to person.
Lord Hysteria
(Original post by Alive)
Surely you may as well ask why some people are obsessed with World of Warcraft? I still don't see the connection.
I was thinking along the lines of childhood abuse, neglect that bring about an abnormal reaction to something which I think contributes to some fetish.
milliondollarcorpse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well surely you can ask this about anything - Why do some people like food more than others? Why do some people like TSR more than others?

People are different, that's why

edit: beaten to it
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why are some people psychologically more sex-obsessed than others?
What factors determine this?

btw - keep this a serious discussion. I like studying the psychology of serial killers. I try and understand why they are the way they are ...
I think looking for meaningful insight into a question with a scope so vast as this one is possibly a little futile. Looking to do so in a forum is rather more so.
Lord Hysteria
(Original post by Rocking-Rob)
Just like your body on the exterior, the chemical makeup of your brain differs from person to person.
You think it's biological. hmmm
I'd rather say it is more environmental, with a touch of genetics
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I read a few books on the psychology of serial killers. There was a recurring theme in all these books. They were discussing about the main prolific serial killers that'd occured in the last 30 years in USA, they all noticed that they all sustained damage to the head, in the limbic region (sp?), which caused chemical imbalance in their bodies. So I guess some sorts of sex-obsessions may be due to chemical imbalance.

But I also believe it is the childhood that contributes to the mind of a person who is psychologically sex obsessed. Bobby Joe Long, turned a rapist after he had a motorcycle accident causing damage to the head region. He also had a very close relationship with his mother that involved spending most of his childhood in bed with his mother. And the accident just unleashed all the nastiness.

Anywhere near those lines you were hoping for Lord Hysteria? :p:
Rocking-Rob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You think it's biological. hmmm
I'd rather say it is more environmental, with a touch of genetics

It is a bit of both, if two people were brought up in exactly the same situations they would still differ because of the biological makeup. Just like alot of people area afraid of spiders yet those who arn't afraid are not likely to have come in to contact with spiders much more than those who are afraid.
Lord Hysteria
(Original post by blahbloo)
I read a few books on the psychology of serial killers. There was a recurring theme in all these books. They were discussing about the main prolific serial killers that'd occured in the last 30 years in USA, they all noticed that they all sustained damage to the head, in the limbic region (sp?), which caused chemical imbalance in their bodies. So I guess some sorts of sex-obsessions may be due to chemical imbalance.

But I also believe it is the childhood that contributes to the mind of a person who is psychologically sex obsessed. Bobby Joe Long, turned a rapist after he had a motorcycle accident causing damage to the head region. He also had a very close relationship with his mother that involved spending most of his childhood in bed with his mother. And the accident just unleashed all the nastiness.

Anywhere near those lines you were hoping for Lord Hysteria? :p:
oh yes. I just find it all very interesting.
The damage to the head, I was not aware of - hmmm, I wonder why the head.
Alive
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Because it contains the brain, maybe?
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lmao.

The damage to the head may have affected their cognitive systems and how they function, and perhaps the level of sex-obsessions? Or maybe it may contribute to when the killer is in the aural stage where he has picked a victim and is in a heightened state, at this stage it is where the killer sees things more brightly and sharply, apparently this happens. Thus finds it difficult to differentiate between right/wrong in this state.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
are you taking the piss?

the head houses the brain, the keeper of the keys to everything that is consciousness.

obviously, injury can result in loss of different functions, or all of them, which we see in vegetables caused by injury. of course, if the frontal lobe is affected, personality can be substantially altered, or nonexistent, in which a human would behave a little like a vulcan.
Lord Hysteria
(Original post by Alive)
...Because it contains the brain, maybe?
(Original post by curryADD)
are you taking the piss?

the head houses the brain, the keeper of the keys to everything that is consciousness.
oh ha ha hepdee ha

I meant we suddenly become sex obsessed!
KwungSun
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what's wrong with being sex obsessed?
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KwungSun)
what's wrong with being sex obsessed?
nothing darling, a great many of us are

(ie: me)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.83%
No - but I will (101)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.69%

Watched Threads