Shafiq Amin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m a year 12 student. I’m currently studying biology, chemistry and geography. Hopefully, I’ll get an A*AA but my gcse grades weren’t as good
I got 2 8’s, 7 7’s , 2 L2D and 1 5 (in french) .
I would like to apply to Oxbridge to do law but is there a realistic chance of me getting in ?
I do ALOT of extra curricular such as charity work, feeding the homeless, St Jon’s ambulance, performed in the Birmingham Rep theatre. I just want an alternative opinion as I don’t think my GCSE’s are as good as other candidate and I don’t want to waste a university place on a uni I most likely will not even get into. I also come from an underprivileged background, with my school constantly having strikes, supply teachers etc.
Last edited by Shafiq Amin; 3 months ago
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oxford, less so, but Cambridge yes. Oxford place more emphasis on GCSEs so you would need a high score on the admissions test to make up for it. So yes, you have a chance of getting into Oxbridge but it still depends on you doing well on the admissions test and at interview. If you get the predicted grades, it will be worth the shot.
Shafiq Amin
Rep:
?
(Original post by yankang.qi)
Oxford, less so, but Cambridge yes. Oxford place more emphasis on GCSEs so you would need a high score on the admissions test to make up for it. So yes, you have a chance of getting into Oxbridge but it still depends on you doing well on the admissions test and at interview. If you get the predicted grades, it will be worth the shot.
Thanks a lot for that. It’s just that going from a school like mine, and then getting into a grammar sixth form where everyone(who was there from year 7) seemed to have achieved basically all 8’s and 9’s, and want to apply to Oxbridge too, not particularly for law, but I feel like I don’t stand a chance against people like them, and I know there’s many people like them across the whole country.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oxford Mum may like to comment later. I believe your GCSEs are below average for Oxford Law applicants so I would urge you to check with Oxford Admissions whether you stand a chance
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Oxford Mum may like to comment later. I believe your GCSEs are below average for Oxford Law applicants so I would urge you to check with Oxford Admissions whether you stand a chance
Yea, this is why I would advise OP to apply to Cambridge instead.
Shafiq Amin
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I know that an average oxford student gets 10.2 A*s at GCSE level, I just about did 10 GCSE‘s. However, this was through no fault of mine as our school changed our options in year 10 and then again in year 11.
Shafiq Amin
Rep:
?
Will they care about the context of my grades a lot or barely at all? And is it worth writing in my personal statement about my context or will it just sound like I’m pitying myself too much?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Shafiq Amin)
Will they care about the context of my grades a lot or barely at all? And is it worth writing in my personal statement about my context or will it just sound like I’m pitying myself too much?
The grades aren't really good enough to get you shortlisted. A sob story won't really change that.
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Shafiq Amin)
They will look at contextual data as they look at your postcode and schools. There is no need to put this in your personal statement. Cambridge have something called the SAQ (Supplementary Application Questionnaire) where you give them more data to help with your application. Among those things is any extra contextual information you would like to add. You would put it there, not your personal statement. I'm not sure how it works for Oxford though, because they don't have the SAQ.
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
The grades aren't really good enough to get you shortlisted. A sob story won't really change that.
Mayhaps that is a little harsh, it is not impossible to get into Oxbridge with those GCSEs. OP should still definitely consider Cambridge as their choice though as they look less at GCSEs in comparison to Oxford.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Mayhaps that is a little harsh, it is not impossible to get into Oxbridge with those GCSEs.
For jurisprudence, to all intents and purposes it is impossible with only 2 A*. No point leading people down the garden path with this sort of thing.
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For jurisprudence, to all intents and purposes it is impossible with only 2 A*. No point leading people down the garden path with this sort of thing.
Do you have a source? Because I don't think is necessarily true.
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Do you have a source? Because I don't think is necessarily true.
In fact I have found a FOI request that shows that the minimum number of GCSE A* achieved for an acceptance to Law at Oxford was 1.
Edit: For Cambridge I found another which shows several people with 2 or less A*, sometimes none, getting an offer. I don't understand why you would just say that with certainty, particularly when it concerns someone's achievable aspirations.
Last edited by yankang.qi; 3 months ago
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
In fact I have found a FOI request that shows that the minimum number of GCSE A* achieved for an acceptance to Law at Oxford was 1.
Edit: For Cambridge I found another which shows several people with 2 or less A*, sometimes none, getting an offer. I don't understand why you would just say that with certainty, particularly when it concerns someone's achievable aspirations.
I don't need you to tell me what is required to study Law at Cambridge. I've done that.

This is the graph for medicine entry at Oxford. Whilst slightly more competitive than Law, it's not much. Note how many people with 2 A*s received an offer. It was zero. That it would be vastly different for Law is a ridiculous notion.

Name:  number-of-a-star.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  48.3 KB

The OP might have more luck if the GCSEs are considered contextually. But it is not accurate to suggest that he has much of a chance with his current GCSEs. A chance - yes. But not a good one.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oxford Mum - we could use some of your expertise here!
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't need you to tell me what is required to study Law at Cambridge. I've done that.

This is the graph for medicine entry at Oxford. Whilst slightly more competitive than Law, it's not much. Note how many people with 2 A*s received an offer. It was zero. That it would be vastly different for Law is a ridiculous notion.

Name:  number-of-a-star.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  48.3 KB

The OP might have more luck if the GCSEs are considered contextually. But it is not accurate to suggest that he has much of a chance with his current GCSEs. A chance - yes. But not a good one.
Still the point of you saying that it is impossible for OP to get in, was harsh. GCSEs are not the only factor they consider, so if OP works hard at other parts of the application process it is fair to say he does stand an ok chance. I just think that you should encourage where you can and not just tear him down even though he still does stand a reasonable chance if he works hard, particularly for Cambridge where it is more holistic and more people get interview.
For the point about Medicine, I believe that it might actually look quite different for Law. The reason that the graph looks like that is because they base their shortlisting decisions on GCSEs and BMAT. 50% GCSEs, 20% Section 1 BMAT, 20% Section 2 BMAT and 10% Section 3 BMAT. Section 2 BMAT is literally just GCSE science. This means that 70% of the shortlisting decision is based on GCSEs. I feel like this plays a large part in making the graph look the way it does, whereas for Law the LNAT is less so GCSE based. This, for Law, gives those with a smaller proportion of A* more of a chance.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Still the point of you saying that it is impossible for OP to get in, was harsh.
I didn't say it was 'impossible'. I said 'to all intents and purposes it's impossible'. There's a subtle, but important difference here.

I just think that you should encourage where you can and not just tear him down even though he still does stand a reasonable chance if he works hard, particularly for Cambridge where it is more holistic and more people get interview.
No! For a start, he does not 'stand a reasonable chance'. This isn't Kansas, and we shouldn't just be cheerleading because it's a 'nice thing to do'. It helps no-one. The applicant has a low chance of being shortlisted, never mind being offered a place. Of course if the OP wants to make an application, then s/he should go ahead and do so. But the title of the thread was 'Will I get in?', not 'please tell me some nice things which are fundamentally not very realistic just to make me feel better'.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Lmao @ people arguing about something without having the relevant data at hand

Submit an FOI request you nurds
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
PRSOM Reality Check
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oxford Mum - we could use some of your expertise here!
Yes, Reality Check, I can help.
harrysbar as a law expert, this may be of interest to you
Shafiq Amin here are some stats on Oxford law UK entry in the link below. Please click on little icon that says "admissions stats for law M100.X15X", then click on the Data tab.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...s_for_law_m1_2

As you can see, the average applicant has an average of just over 5 A* at GCSE (which is higher than your grades)
The average successful applicant has just over 8 A*. This is slightly lower than the medicine average, which is 10A*, but you get my drift.
Many people tend to not know the grades they need for Oxford, and apply in hope when the chances of getting in are minimal to nil. This is a shame, because they could have used that UCAS space to apply successfully to another uni. Reality Check may seem to have poured cold water on your dreams, OP, but he really does care about the students on here, and would not want you chasing a false dream. I would have said exactly the same as him, but maybe in another way. As for your school, there are many successful Oxford students who have been to a struggling school and get the required grades, despite the odds. It is against these brave, determined people that you will be competing.

If you are really set on law at Oxbridge, Cambridge would be the better bet. I know someone who got into Cambridge law with GCSEs which, although better grades than yours, were not spectacular). Have you done any extra research with your law? Have you been to a court to witness a case? Do you belong to a debating team? Many other applicants will have done so. The difference with Cambridge is you don't take the LNAT, but the Cambridge law test.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ridge-law-test
https://www.thelawyerportal.com/free...idge-law-test/

You have to sit it once you get to Cambridge, so there is no opportunity of practising.

https://ba.law.cam.ac.uk/applying/cambridge_law_test/

If you want my extremely honest opinion, I would say you should apply elsewhere (ie not Oxford, or Cambridge)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (438)
67.49%
No (211)
32.51%

Watched Threads