Packing advice ? Watch

*Lou*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey,

On 14th of August, I'm going to Sweden (Linköping) for 6 months (at least) and I have no idea how to start packing, because I always take to much stuff I generally travel a lot, but i have never stayed anywhere for more than 15 days.
So, what/how much would you take if you would need summer and winter clothes for 6 months :rolleyes: ?

(According to KLM website, I am allowed to take 2 suitcases - 20kg)

Thanks!
blackdragonthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
is that 40kg altogether then?
_khan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you sure you get 20x2? isnt it 20 in the hold and something smaller in the cabin?

take some and buy some new ones there
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No more clothes than you need for 1 week in either summer of winter and use a washing machiene. Mind, if you're out htere for 6 months ypu mihgt want to use the local shops.
Rocking-Rob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pack the bare minimum first, 2 sets for both summer and winter + 2 sets of shoes. Then fill it up from there.

Remember, you can always buy stuff whislt you are there!
procrastinator21
Report 10 years ago
well im terrible at packing too, would jsut chuck in all my clothes and make sure i had essentials but obviosuly you probabyl have more than 40kg of clothes or want to take books etc..

what are you doing when you're there? are you goign to buy anything? do you need much? if you're planning to buy stuff when you are there then you needto pack lighter so that your suitcases arent to heavy on the way pack

i assume you'll hae a washing machine so you can pack maybe two weeks of summer and two weeks of winter clothes and that will be enough becuase of washing.

that probably doesnt help lol..
starry skies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1.Get out everything you want to take.
2. Look at it. Imagine hauling it round airports and public transport.
3. Put away things you definitely can live without.
4. Look at it again. Ask yourself if you really NEED six pairs of jeans, five pairs of shoes and the contents of Boots beauty section to sustain you on your travels.
5.Put more stuff away.

Repeat steps 2-5 until you can fit all you need neatly in your cases. Works for me

"never knowingly overpacked 1996-2008"
*Lou*
Rep:
?
Well, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure how to interpret that;
It says that there are two concepts:

1.) Weight concept - 23kg (per piece)
2.) Piece concept - 2 pieces

I would like to buy as less as possible there, because other than H&M everything is expensive

I'll try Robs advice - 2 sets of everything and hope that I will not exceede luggage limitation (it's 12€ for every extra kg)
starry skies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No way will it be 40-odd kg I'm afraid. You'll be allowed a max of 2 pieces of luggage up to a COMBINED weight of 23kg. The only exceptions to miserly allowances seem to be the US airlines and business/1st class travel. However 23kg is actually pretty damn heavy to lug around, especially if you're on a budget and can't afford to get taxis with it and have to use public transport.

Try for "capsule" pieces if you can. i.e clothes that mix & match with lots of other bits and pieces to make lots of outfits from not too many individual items
*Lou*
Rep:
?
(Original post by starry skies)
1.Get out everything you want to take.
2. Look at it. Imagine hauling it round airports and public transport.
3. Put away things you definitely can live without.
4. Look at it again. Ask yourself if you really NEED six pairs of jeans, five pairs of shoes and the contents of Boots beauty section to sustain you on your travels.
5.Put more stuff away.

Repeat steps 2-5 until you can fit all you need neatly in your cases. Works for me

"never knowingly overpacked 1996-2008"
You used the right words

"knowingly overpacked 2004 - 2007; in 2008 i can't afford it anymore "
elisabethbridge
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd just take summer clothes/lighter clothes and then some winter clothes that don't take much space. You can easily buy a coat and shoes etc. for the winter once you get to Sweden.
nota bene
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, take clothes for at most two weeks, and only the winter stuff that is not taking much space - i.e. don't bring massive skiing clothes or overalls etc! If you have 23+23+cabin baggage (maybe 8 or 10kg) that is quite a bit! I just managed a week in London (With laptop, extra shoes, clothes for 10 days, pillow, bed linen) with just hand luggage... Just be sensible with what you pack; you'll probably not need more than 5-6 jeans/trousers, maybe a skirt or two, and same for shorts. Also, it is possible to buy things once you arrive
*Lou*
Rep:
?
Heh, thanks to all Good some useful advices, so I can start packing soon Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads