Rome Watch

theflyingpig
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm going Rome in a few weeks and was wondering whether its worth pre-booking Vatican tickets and whether the tours are any good.

Also can you suggest places to visit, at the moment I thinking: Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Basilica, St. Peter’s Square, the forum, the Colosseum and the pantheon. Anything else worth seeing.

I'm there for 5 nights.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
http://www.cappucciniviaveneto.it/cappuccini_ing.html I thought this place was really cool. Bit gruesome but worth a visit.
Howells
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I loved the Vatican, thought it was a good laugh actually, though I went there with all my classmates and we were just singing and stuff, and our school got a shout out (a blessing :p:) from the Pope
The Monument to Vittorio Emmanuel is very grand looking as well, and worth a check out, but it was being refurbished when we there so we couldn't have a proper look around.
And don't forget the Trevvi Fountains! The catacombs are quite cool too, a bit dark and creepy though...
Hope you have an awesome time
Magickal_Faerie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Add the Trevi Fountain to your list!

Also the bus tour thing that goes from the main train station is brilliant, its a hop on hop off at selected tourist attractions, did that one and got round them all really well Its quite cheap too, as far as I remember!
Anjuna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depending how far away "a few weeks" is, go up to the Stadio Olimpico and watch a Lazio or Roma (merda) game. Seasons usually starts mid-August, you might catch friendlies.

Whatever you do don't walk to it from the Vatican. Use public transport.
Hatra
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just wander around Rome too! There's so much to see an do! It's a fantastic city, and I love how it's built around bits of ruins, so you'll just be walking and come across some amazing things!
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldnt suggest going on any of the tours, they're so, well cheesy, telling you all these historical facts that you dont need to know.

Rome is a fantastic place, i would reccommend going up Del Corso, long street full of shops similar to oxford street, at the top theres a nice Piazza called Del Poppolo, nice place to just chill out and have somthing to eat in one of the coffee shops, busses are easy to use and will take you to all the destinations you need to go to, although most you can walk
theflyingpig
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bear_Grylls)
I wouldnt suggest going on any of the tours, they're so, well cheesy, telling you all these historical facts that you dont need to know.
But I want to listen and understand the historical facts. I thing the history of Rome is interesting.

Apart from Bear Grylls does anyone actually recommend the tours.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theflyingpig)
But I want to listen and understand the historical facts. I thing the history of Rome is interesting.

Apart from Bear Grylls does anyone actually recommend the tours.
The history of rome is intersting, but i think its better to do it at your own pace, when you go to the colleseum, or the vaitican, theres loads of brochures telling you all the information and facts you need to know, these tours can slow you down, and since your only there for 5 days you havent really got much time to waste, alsoooo, you see so much more by yourself than on these tours,
Magickal_Faerie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^ I agree with Bear Grylls. You see so much more and can look at things in more detail. Also if you get a guide book you can re read it and it lasts longer than the actual tour itself. If you have any questions, you can ask the people around the place, they should be able to answer for you
Hatra
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree to do it in your own time, that's what we did!

I'd recommend getting to the colosseum as early as possible, beat the crowds! It was amazing when it was quieter! (Still amazing anyway )

Also, the Palatine Gardens are a must too! So peaceful, and full of history!
theflyingpig
Rep:
?
I've also been considering going to Pompeii for a day trip, would anyone recommend this? It's supposed to be about 3 hours in the coach (or 2 hours by train). I'm also thinking of stopping off at Naples.
Magickal_Faerie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did Pompeii too! It takes an absolute AGE to get there, you need to be on the coach by about 7am for a full day there. You need to book it as well the day before. Pompeii is amazing....its what really spurred me on to do archaeology at uni I wont babble any more but its just amazing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads