FishFinger04
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So I’m currently in year 11 and I want to be a MFL teacher when I’m older. I’m doing the Spanish gcse but I also need to take another language at Uni to be a teacher. The only issue is that I hate & can’t stand French, it seems like German isn’t been taught anymore in schools. What language would u recommend me doing? Don’t suggest french
demoti007
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
French. Definitely French.
FishFinger04
Rep:
?
(Original post by demoti007)
French. Definitely French.
Haha
demoti007
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Seriously though, if you want to be an MFL teacher and are already taking Spanish, the next best option should honestly be French. I’m a B1 Level French learner at high school, and it’s honestly not that difficult. Practice is the key
demoti007
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
But if you really insist on not taking French, I guess you could take something like Portuguese or Italian, which would be closer to Spanish than any others. It could be beneficial especially if you’re planning to take a Latin-centric path
FishFinger04
Rep:
?
(Original post by demoti007)
Seriously though, if you want to be an MFL teacher and are already taking Spanish, the next best option should honestly be French. I’m a B1 Level French learner at high school, and it’s honestly not that difficult. Practice is the key
It’s not that. It’s just I dislike the language, just the way it sounds etc
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
could you narrow the question down at all? As in do you want to focus on european languages or do you have a desire/interest in middle eastern, Asian etc.?
TehZia19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You could independently study German and then sit the exam.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well, I have to say that I used to hate French and yet have done a degree in it. I've been learning French ever since I was a child but I really disliked it during GCSE level. GCSE time is also when I began my Spanish studies and I instantly fell in love with it (mostly because of my teacher). I took both up to A level standard. My Spanish clicked during AS but French didn't and then during my A2 year I applied for Italian and Spanish. But, by the end of the year, my French clicked and I started loving it; in fact, I actually thought I had failed the French exam but I ended up getting near full marks. :lol: I switched my degree to French and Spanish at uni and picked up Japanese. At uni, I absolutely adored French and found that the difficulty of French and Spanish did a 180. French starts off rather intimidating and difficult while Spanish doesn't; but, at more advanced levels, it's the complete opposite!

At the end of the day, everything's fluid. Maybe your experiences up until now have marred your vision of French but it really is a superb language to learn and it complements Spanish very well. I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise, maybe you could pick up a different language like Portuguese, Italian, German, Japanese, Chinese Mandarin, Russian or Arabic. For all of the languages I've listed (even including German sometimes), universities generally don't need an A level to learn it at degree level. Ergo, you could apply for Spanish + another language at university without doing the other language at A level. That said, for degree level French, you'd definitely need A level French.
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 months ago
FishFinger04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
could you narrow the question down at all? As in do you want to focus on european languages or do you have a desire/interest in middle eastern, Asian etc.?
I’m quite interested in: Russian, mandarin and Korean tbh
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by FishFinger04)
I’m quite interested in: Russian, mandarin and Korean tbh
Russian is a good one, once you get past the alphabet it all becomes quite simple.. although the declensions are a pain in the ass!
MichaMicha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
German is still taught more than russian or korean. Mandarin Chinese may be a good option, I heard it was getting popular.
FishFinger04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MichaMicha)
German is still taught more than russian or korean. Mandarin Chinese may be a good option, I heard it was getting popular.
Id rather learn Mandarin than German but I’m worried that I can’t get onto the PGCE course with mandarin
MichaMicha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FishFinger04)
Id rather learn Mandarin than German but I’m worried that I can’t get onto the PGCE course with mandarin
If you’re near a bigger city, there’s quite often Confucius institutes that will offer the official HSK exams. Not sure what counts for PGCE but would imagine if it’s equivalent to GCSE level you’ll need around HSK 3 which you could get with a semester of very intensive study or 2 semesters. Do you specifically need a GCSE or does any kind of language qualification count? You can also take HSK without attending classes, you just need to find a centre that offers the examination, so you could in theory self-study and then take the exam with a centre.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
German - personal opinion
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?