FishFinger04
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, I’m in yr 11 and currently recovering from anorexia. I want to be a MFL teacher when I’m older, by the time I come to do my PGCE I’ll be fully recovered. So will my past issues affect my chances of becoming a teacher?
xozxexo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FishFinger04)
Hello, I’m in yr 11 and currently recovering from anorexia. I want to be a MFL teacher when I’m older, by the time I come to do my PGCE I’ll be fully recovered. So will my past issues affect my chances of becoming a teacher?
If you are mentally and physically healthy then no. It would only get in the way if you let it get in the way
FishFinger04
Rep:
?
(Original post by xozxexo)
If you are mentally and physically healthy then no. It would only get in the way if you let it get in the way
Thanks xx
ratatatat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks xx
Hiya,

I'm a third year student on a BAEd degree so, it's a little different from a PCGE but lot of the same stuff probably applies. Everyone at my Uni was required to fill in a 'fitness to teach' form. This was to outline any health issues. I had to disclose my mental illness and so was categorized as a 'type B' student teacher. This recognizes that you may need some extra support on your teaching placements, but does not stop you from becoming a teacher at all. It is up to you whether to disclose this to tour placement mentor or not. I chose not to, and so didn't receive any extra support, but it's a personal choice and you shouldn't be penalized for it. If going in to secondary education, you could even spin it as a positive. Mental health awareness is incredibly important with children/teens and you've experienced it first hand and come out of the other end! Hope this helped
FishFinger04
Rep:
?
(Original post by ratatatat)
Hiya,

I'm a third year student on a BAEd degree so, it's a little different from a PCGE but lot of the same stuff probably applies. Everyone at my Uni was required to fill in a 'fitness to teach' form. This was to outline any health issues. I had to disclose my mental illness and so was categorized as a 'type B' student teacher. This recognizes that you may need some extra support on your teaching placements, but does not stop you from becoming a teacher at all. It is up to you whether to disclose this to tour placement mentor or not. I chose not to, and so didn't receive any extra support, but it's a personal choice and you shouldn't be penalized for it. If going in to secondary education, you could even spin it as a positive. Mental health awareness is incredibly important with children/teens and you've experienced it first hand and come out of the other end! Hope this helped
Thank you
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly, if you are in Y11, I wouldn't worry about this at the moment. You are a long way off applying to train to teach, and the application process may change anyway.

At the moment, you would have to disclose this information to the uni, and they would make an individual judgement about your "fitness to teach"- they might ask for an OH assessment if they were worried.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (190)
19.11%
Labour (425)
42.76%
Liberal Democrats (194)
19.52%
Green Party (53)
5.33%
Brexit Party (26)
2.62%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.4%
SNP (12)
1.21%
Plaid Cymru (10)
1.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.2%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (2)