wiki and subdomain Watch

Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm having a bit of trouble and hoping someone here knows what's going on.

I created a subdomain earlier which is wiki.psnfriends.net

Then I downloaded mediawiki and uploaded it to public_html/wiki (so psnfriends.net/wiki). When I go to http://wiki.psnfriends.net/ I get this error ...

Not Found

The requested URL /usr/home/psnfrien/public_html/index.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So what have I done wrong?
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
is the subdomain pointing at the /wiki/ directory?
Cortez
Rep:
?
Looks like this in the subdomain screen -

So it looks like the document root is the folder I've installed it too but there is no redirection there. Should there be?

The strange thing is, when I go to www.psnfriends.net/wiki I don't see the wiki either
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
did you install the wiki? of just upload it..?
Cortez
Rep:
?
I've just uploaded it so far. I was hoping I'd be able to go to wiki.psnfriends.net and be presented with an install page but evidently not.
ca25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
I'm having a bit of trouble and hoping someone here knows what's going on.

I created a subdomain earlier which is wiki.psnfriends.net

Then I downloaded mediawiki and uploaded it to public_html/wiki (so psnfriends.net/wiki). When I go to http://wiki.psnfriends.net/ I get this error ...

Not Found

The requested URL /usr/home/psnfrien/public_html/index.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So what have I done wrong?
Check the permissions on the /usr/home/psnfrien/public_html/wiki directory, 666 permissions should work i think, not sure though.; google for the needed permissions.
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
I've just uploaded it so far. I was hoping I'd be able to go to wiki.psnfriends.net and be presented with an install page but evidently not.
which wiki software are you using? MediaWiki?
Cortez
Rep:
?
(Original post by olileauk)
which wiki software are you using? MediaWiki?
Yeah
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
right, have you looked here and read through what you're meant to do to get mediawiki installed?

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installation_guide
Cortez
Rep:
?
Actually, I haven't

I'll do that now and come back if I still have problems!

Edit: It seems I've done everything ok so far. It said the permissions needed to be 755 or 777 on linux so I changed them from 755 to 777. It then says to go to the config directory in the browser which would be www.psnfriends.net/wiki/config but I just leaves me at the forum index
Cortez
Rep:
?
Got it working. I decided to email my host and he said there was something wrong with the .htaccess file and that it was in the wrong place so he sorted that and I could access the installation page. All seems to be working fine now :yy: Cheers.
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ah, cool, glad to hear you got it sorted out =)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
37.98%
No - but I will (53)
7.24%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (348)
47.54%

Watched Threads