A-levels to take psychology? Watch

xxstace123xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hiya ,
just wondering if anyone knew what a levels would be good to take psychology .. so far i think
1) Psychology
2) English Lit
3)Maths/ economics ?
4) eitherr biology(witch im not too good at) or computing ?

if anyoone took psychology at degree or are thnkin bout it what did you take

Thankkyooooooooooooooooo
LilLizzieLee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
maths is deffo a good idea....

biology can be useful as a lot of psychology a-level is based on biology so can help with the a-level side of things

and science subjects are always good for psych degree.
SylverStrike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That sounds like a really good combination of sciences and arts. I'm taking Psychology, Physics, Latin and Maths and you've got the same good combination- a science (if you take biology) and maths are always useful and demonstrate logic, but at the same time by taking English lit, you demonstrate the ability to write coherent essays. Between maths and economics, if I were you, I'd take maths and especially try to take a Statistics module at some point as Stats come up in Psychology regularly. And between biology and computing, I'd go for biology, as although it's not directly related to Psychology, there are probably some relevant sections and taking biology shows a scientific understanding.
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd agree with Psychology, English Lit, Maths and Biology.
laced
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't do a Psychology degree but I did consider it. Biology would be good for Psychology because some of it incorporates biology, for example the more neurological side.

From what I understand, as well, Psychology uses statistics as well, which Maths would be useful for.

At the end of the day, though, most Psychology degrees have no specific requirements in terms of subjects, so I'd say take the subjects you feel you'll enjoy most and will do the best in

Hope this helps.
clallen2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maths is good for stats and what have you (studies etc). Biology is good for the biological aspects (e.g synapses, neurotransmitters, enzymes - when it comes to chemotherapy). English would be helpful for your essay/report writing. But i think you can incorporate most subjects. If you look at the uni's you want to go to you will be able to see whats requires. For example, Warwick asks for at least 1 natural science.
xxstace123xx
Rep:
?
do you think i would be able to do maths?
im preicted an A, im in top set.
got an A* in my 1st module, but that was the easiest. Im gettin my 2nd module results back soon, ive heard its meant to be really hard! Many thanks
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don’t necessarily need an A level in Psychology to take it on to degree level because you can still get onto university courses as long as they feel you have the right a levels for the course. I think it’s a good idea to take something science based either biology or chemistry. Biology would be the best of the sciences because a lot of psychology will be based on biology. Apparently maths is a good one to take as well and some universities ask for it as a requirement for psychology. English Literature or history would also be good subjects to take. I would take something like Psychology, English Lit, Maths & Biology.
xxstace123xx
Rep:
?
everyone seems to be saying psychology, maths, english lit and biology.. do you thnk i would be able to do it with these gcse predicted grades (still got a year of gcses left)
Maths:A English Lang:A English Lit: A Science:BB R.e:A Ict Diploma(4 gcse equivilent): A*A*A*A* Business certificate(2 gcse equivalent): AA Drama:A/B
Queen Alice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Psychology uni departments love science. If you are smart and aiming for a good uni, deff take maths and biology. Maths is good for statistics, and biology always makes unis happy to have you.
Warwick give people who take 2 sciences (I think) BBB offer!

I took Psychology, Biology, Geography (and AS Chemistry). Even though I got AABD as AS level, because I have science subjects (I think this is the main reason) I was given offers from Bristol/Warwick/Durham, while my friends with AAAB, ABBB were rejected because they took no science subjects.

Economics and computing are not highly valued by many unis, and I would strongly suggest you take at least one science (maths or biology, but preferably both!).

As long as you revise the biology text book really well, it is possible to get a good grade
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on what aspects of psychology you're doing, actually.

I do psychology at AS level and found english language and business studies really went well with psychology. English language more than english lit. Of course, business is seen as the 'soft' option. Biology would possibly go well with it, and you can never go wrong with maths.

So, in short...

I'd recommend English language rather than English lit if you're looking for subjects with similarities
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah you would. I would personally do them subjects for psychology, you usually need B's to do 4 AS Levels and a lot of schools ask for you to have B or above in the subjects your applying for but some may be okay with C's your predicted grades suggest that you'd be able to do them subjects anyway.
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd go for Biology, Maths, Psychology and an essay-based subject like History or English.

Quite a few departments like you to have Biology and Maths although you can find places that will accept you with different qualifications if you are really not keen on Biology.

For example: The University of Bangor BSC and BA asks for 'knowledge of Biology' at A Level but does not actually list it as a requirement to have the A Level. Just as Birmingham state that a 'traditional science subject is an advantage but not required'.

If you really don't like Biology, I guess you could opt for Chemistry.
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did psychology, sociology, and computing at a level, and now I'm doing psychology and sociology combined honours.

I would recommend biology and maths (more stats side). I started biology a level and dropped it, and my bio teacher said I would have no chance of doing psychology with out a bio a level...which obviously wasn't true in my case. Sociology does cross over into some psychology theories so I'd also recommend that.
Queen Alice
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by inksplodge)
Depends on what aspects of psychology you're doing, actually.

I do psychology at AS level and found english language and business studies really went well with psychology. English language more than english lit. Of course, business is seen as the 'soft' option. Biology would possibly go well with it, and you can never go wrong with maths.

So, in short...

I'd recommend English language rather than English lit if you're looking for subjects with similarities
I dissagree. English language is not as valued by unis as English lit, even if it may be more useful to her as a student.
Also, psychology Alevel essays are a doddle. They don't need a rigid structure or good spelling, and are really short (compared to my geog essays anyway!).
Literature is considered to be more challenging, and would still improve the quality of written communication of the students who take it.
The main thing to remember is unis love lit. And as the OP mention lit not lang, she must also prefer it and so would get better grades
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by stolenstars)
I dissagree. English language is not as valued by unis as English lit, even if it may be more useful to her as a student.
Also, psychology Alevel essays are a doddle. They don't need a rigid structure or good spelling, and are really short (compared to my geog essays anyway!).
Literature is considered to be more challenging, and would still improve the quality of written communication of the students who take it.
The main thing to remember is unis love lit. And as the OP mention lit not lang, she must also prefer it and so would get better grades
That is true - lit is more respected, but if the OP wants to use subjects that are similar to psychology, then english language is a better subject choice that lit. It isn't completely disregarded, though. Combined with biology and maths, I don't think they'd really care about the english language subject because the afore mentioned subjects are respected in their own right.
xxstace123xx
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice people. im thinking of doing educational or child psychology .. i thnk u do the 3 yrs hons and then anuva 3 years doctoral witch has replaced the maseters and 2 years work experience
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xxstace123xx)
Thanks for the advice people. im thinking of doing educational or child psychology .. i thnk u do the 3 yrs hons and then anuva 3 years doctoral witch has replaced the maseters and 2 years work experience
I'd have a good read of the British Psychological Society website, especially this page; it will clarify the requirements of career paths in Psychology:

http://www.bps.org.uk/careers/becomi...oming_home.cfm

Keep in mind that Psychology is an extremely competitive area. Doctorates are often described as being far more competitive than any med school, requiring a mass of work experience and a decent 2.1 at undergrad. But obviously, you have a long time to think about it.
Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't take Biology if you are not very good it at and don't like it because they really have no course content that over-lap, so there is not much point. Check the entry requirements for the Universities you are thinking of though because some may require a natural science, but most just want a social science.
Maths would be good because there is alot of statistical analysis at degree.
Sociology goes quite well with it because (for my exam board, not sure if all) you do research methods modules in both, so there is alot of overlap which makes it so much easier to understand.

To be honest, I don't think the combination of subjects are that important. It's more important to get good grades, so do what you enjoy and think you will do well in.

My friend is doing Psychology and she did History, English Lit and Psychology. She did Dance at AS.
My other friend who is doing it has done Psychology, Media and Sociology.

Just make sure you do at least 2 "respected" subjects and you will be fine.
Queen Alice
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Crystaltears)
I wouldn't take Biology if you are not very good it at and don't like it because they really have no course content that over-lap, so there is not much point. Check the entry requirements for the Universities you are thinking of though because some may require a natural science, but most just want a social science.
Maths would be good because there is alot of statistical analysis at degree.
Sociology goes quite well with it because (for my exam board, not sure if all) you do research methods modules in both, so there is alot of overlap which makes it so much easier to understand.

To be honest, I don't think the combination of subjects are that important. It's more important to get good grades, so do what you enjoy and think you will do well in.

My friend is doing Psychology and she did History, English Lit and Psychology. She did Dance at AS.
My other friend who is doing it has done Psychology, Media and Sociology.

Just make sure you do at least 2 "respected" subjects and you will be fine.
Well someone clearly hasn't heard of the biological approach, neuropsychology or Darwin's influence on the likes of Freud and the behaviourists :rolleyes:. In biology part of our sylabus was on behaviour, so I did not need to revise this section for the exam as I knew it already from psychology. Also, the info on the nervous system from biology was on my psychology sylabus, so they are deffinately over-lap!

Biology and Psychology have a LOT in common, and many unis state they prefer psychology applicants to take science subjects (eg Bristol and Warwick). After all, Psychology is a science too!

From personal experience subject choice is very important. When the applicant is choosing between Biology (fave subject of Psych depts) and Computing (a "soft" subject) I think that the choice should not be considered lightly. All you need to do well in biology Alevel is to revise hard from the textbook, and learn some basic maths. If the OP is a hard worker and thinks they can improve their Biology grades, I would highly reccomend they take Biology.

They can always drop it at A2, but having a science background is very useful... I should think a B in Biology would be as effective as an A in ICT (from the view of psychology depts)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads