trying to eat healthier Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
so i’ve been trying to eat better bc i’ve wanted to lose weight for a while but i’ve been struggling a bit. my main problem is that i find it hard to stop myself from eating just for the sake of it/routine. for example i usually always have to eat something before i go to bed even if i’m not hungry, and if i try and curb this i end up just hanging around in the kitchen or constantly think about it, and eventually just give in to stop myself from wasting time. i also have issues in terms of knowing when to stop, like with snacks i really cannot have them in my house otherwise i eat them all immediately and i’m sick of it. someone please help me
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When I get hungry but don’t wanna eat I just start drinking water lmao. Also, stop buying unnecessary snacks/sweets/chocolate so you’re not tempted to eat them if you see them
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Drink more. A lot of the time, when we think we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. Drinking a glass of water can help you feel fuller.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by OR321)
When I get hungry but don’t wanna eat I just start drinking water lmao. Also, stop buying unnecessary snacks/sweets/chocolate so you’re not tempted to eat them if you see them
i don’t buy unhealthy ones but if i don’t have anything in the house i end up going really hungry and just feeling guilty for eating things

(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Drink more. A lot of the time, when we think we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. Drinking a glass of water can help you feel fuller.
thank you, but my problem is that even when i know i’m not hungry i still eat because of routine, it’s this habit that i want to tackle
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i don’t buy unhealthy ones but if i don’t have anything in the house i end up going really hungry and just feeling guilty for eating things

thank you, but my problem is that even when i know i’m not hungry i still eat because of routine, it’s this habit that i want to tackle
Ahhh. I used to be like this ngl, but these past few months I’ve learnt to just distract myself. Do some uni work, go out with friends, watch a movie or whatever
Anonymous #1
(Original post by OR321)
Ahhh. I used to be like this ngl, but these past few months I’ve learnt to just distract myself. Do some uni work, go out with friends, watch a movie or whatever
thanks! i’ll try to take my mind off it and hope the habit breaks then
Anonymous #1
does anyone have any advice in terms of knowing when to stop eating and not overeating? i think i tend to do it for convenience because i don’t want to deal with leftovers etc, i could only really imagine myself stopping either because i dislike the taste or i feel uncomfortably full, but i want to be able to stop when it is ‘right’?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
does anyone have any advice in terms of knowing when to stop eating and not overeating? i think i tend to do it for convenience because i don’t want to deal with leftovers etc, i could only really imagine myself stopping either because i dislike the taste or i feel uncomfortably full, but i want to be able to stop when it is ‘right’?
Learn normal portion sizes, and try stopping before you've finished. In other words, when there's still food left on the plate, put your knife and fork down for ten minutes. See if you're still hungry.

Also, notice when you start to slow in your eating - when the pauses get bigger. This can be a sign that you are (subconsciously) nearing your satiation. Generally speaking, people will eat whatever is put before them, regardless of actual hunger, so using a smaller plate and really learning portion control is key to 'retraining' your eating habits and being able to learn to recognize when you're actually 'full'.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
Learn normal portion sizes, and try stopping before you've finished. In other words, when there's still food left on the plate, put your knife and fork down for ten minutes. See if you're still hungry.

Also, notice when you start to slow in your eating - when the pauses get bigger. This can be a sign that you are (subconsciously) nearing your satiation. Generally speaking, people will eat whatever is put before them, regardless of actual hunger, so using a smaller plate and really learning portion control is key to 'retraining' your eating habits and being able to learn to recognize when you're actually 'full'.
this is really helpful thank you so much, i will try this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (36)
18.27%
Unconditional if firmed (15)
7.61%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
1.02%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.54%
No unconditional offers (139)
70.56%

Watched Threads