The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Neither of my parents really said either way. I guess by saying 'You won't get in' that's just going to make somebody feel a bit bad, and by saying 'You will get in' that just puts the pressure on. So parents can't win either way-- they're either seen as having too little confidence in their kids or else being pushy! I think my Dad thought I would simply because he is biased...I think my Mum, as she knew a bit more about it, was a bit more realistic and probably doubted I would. That said, when I received an EEE offer from Southampton I think they thought I'd get into Cambridge. Before then I don't think they had a very good idea, as neither of them went to uni so didn't really know what the competition was like.
Reply 61
my mum and dad never thought I'd get in but neither did I!nothing is certain and it's only one choice so just put it down I only put it because I had run out of university's and thought why not
Reply 62
my mum and dad never thought I'd get in but neither did I!nothing is certain and it's only one choice so just put it down I only put it because I had run out of university's and thought why not it worked for me so you might as well give it a shot
Reply 63
Yes. At the Oxford and Cambridge open days, when my mum spoke to anyone in any of the colleges, her first question was how easy it was to get in...
Reply 64
nuodai
Yes. At the Oxford and Cambridge open days, when my mum spoke to anyone in any of the colleges, her first question was how easy it was to get in...

Hahaha, that must have been pretty embarrasing...
[QUOTE="curiouslyorange1989"]lol no offence if you love him or whatever but that was a bit ********y!![/QUOTE

ditto that!!!
Reply 66
mine tell me that ill only get in if i clean my room and stop drinking :\
im going to take my chances...
A bit irrelevant, but my teacher tried to cushion my eventual failure right from my deciding which universities to apply to, to writting the PS, to interview practice, to post-interview stress, and finally when I received an offer, she still tried to convince me that New York is equally good if I don't meet my offer...
Reply 68
My parents have been very supportive so far- I'm more sceptical about my ability to be accepted or even get an interview than they are.
My mum especially is super determined for me to apply since the open day and she got the idea of me living somewhere which is 'like a national trust place!' and being able to visit lol.
My rellies were massively keen in that awful middle-class-now-living-vicariously-through-their-children way.

It stressed me right out, because I resented the pressure and worried about the likelihood of failure...not because it would have gutted me but because it would have gutted them.

So the **** really hit the fan when I told them I wasn't applying at all.

I went on to apply post-'A' level and later to do two degrees at Oxford.

Sometimes you have to do things for yourself, not for other people, but it's not easy to march to the beat of only your own drum aged 17:smile:
zodiac90
Listen just one tip though, wipe your face off before going into the interview next time, eh.

**** off you horrible person and stop stalking me through my old posts!!
zodiac90
omg what :s-smilie: I was just offering my apologies :frown: you may have been crying in between one of the interviews :frown:

You are unbelievable.

Have you deleted your original post? that is pathetic.

I know full well what you were talking about, I don't know why you are trying to cover it up - maybe so you can fool other users into thinking you were being nice.
Reply 72
Robob
Hahaha, that must have been pretty embarrasing...

lol this year at the oxford open day, there was a parent who came in and started introducing her child to everyone, her gcse grades, her intended subject of study, even her interests - how embarrassing would that be lol :eek:

The medicine head was lovely. although he gave some very confusing analogy about a cube and how each dimension is made up of a certain admissions criteria :s-smilie: - Im still gonna apply tho :smile:
My mum never for one minute had any confidence that i'd get in. She cheerfully told me when I got my acceptance letter (before i'd opened it) "your rejection letter is here!" It's far nicer than your parents expecting you to get in.
Reply 74
zodiac90
lol this year at the oxford open day, there was a parent who came in and started introducing her child to everyone, her gcse grades, her intended subject of study, even her interests - how embarrassing would that be lol :eek:

The medicine head was lovely. although he gave some very confusing analogy about a cube and how each dimension is made up of a certain admissions criteria :s-smilie: - Im still gonna apply tho :smile:

Yeah, my mum was convinced that I had to make sure I spoke to as many of the fellows as I could, thinking that it might make a difference... fortunately I went to the open day with some mates
blackeyedpea

Sometimes you have to do things for yourself, not for other people, but it's not easy to march to the beat of only your own drum aged 17:smile:

lol..16..more like. with the personality of a someone in primary school -_-
Reply 76
Well, my parents were always v supportive, but I'm pretty sure my mum did expect me to be rejected, but to be fair I thought I would be too. My dad has ridiculously rose-tinted glasses when it comes to me, so he was certain I'd get in. I preferred my mum's stance tbh, less expectations, made the anticipation of the rejection much easier :biggrin:
My parents have always believed in me. Whether that means they were certain I was going to get into Oxbridge, I'm not so sure. But I think it's healthy for parents to have confidence in their kids.
Reply 78
ofcourse you can get in. your chinese. your parents dont have a clue
Reply 79
My parents were very supportive and helped finally convince me to apply when my self-belief wavered after I messed up my Maths at AS level. If you have unflinching belief in your own potential, then parental support (or lack thereof) should be largely unimportant; however, most people seem to be inclined towards self-deprecation and doubt, so I would imagine that doubtful parents add to the perceived mountain of an Oxbridge application.

Latest

Trending

Trending