The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
My parents always supported my idea of applying to Cambridge, they thought it was worth a shot. The careers counsellor at my school on the other hand, thought there was no way in hell, given that the last time someone from my school went to oxbridge was about 10 years ago.
Reply 81
My mum never thought I would get in but said I should apply just in case. My dad said he thought I had a good chance and should definitely apply. I don't think they were too shocked that I got an offer but were very suprised that I met the conditional offer.
Reply 82
My parents (and indeed everyone else I know in real life) were at the other end of the scale. I always got told stuff by people at school like "Oh look at you, guaranteed to get into Cambridge without even trying, the rest of us have to work for it..."

I think that that is worse in a way; all of that pressure. Had I not got an offer, I would've been completely ridiculed by my peers, so the pressure was really on (indeed, they ridiculed me non-stop anyway, but I'm sure you can see what I mean). Plus my whole family would have been very ashamed :frown: .

Now everyone is convinced I'll get a first and so on (it seems actually meeting my offer hasn't even crossed their minds!) It's quite off-putting, though I do hope I won't turn out to be a huge disappointment in their eyes :frown: ...

Pressure is a pain at times!
Reply 83
i know how you feel Simba.
as soon as i got the offer my parents broadcasted it to the world, and now after failing step i know i haven't got in. as if i weren't dissapointed enough my entire family think i'm off to cambridge in a few months. lol there's no way i'm going home after results!
Simba and hiddengem, I totally identify. I apply this year but my parents are so sure that I'm going to get in, I wish they weren't in a way..
Nope, my parents are sure I'll get in and it's horrible.
I think it was my GCSE's that did it. My mum never really thought I'd do as well as I wanted to but she was supportive. Now she's got much too much faith in me. My dad talks as if I've already secured a place.

I think I'd rather my parents were less enthusiastic about the whole thing. My history teacher as well for that matter.
The whole thing has made me really worried about disappointing everyone. I really like 4 out of the 5 Uni's I'm applying to and I know that I'd be happy there too. Always hearing stories about the people who everyone thinks will get in and then don't makes it even worse.

Ohhh well. I might just pretend I got in and never let my parents visit me at Uni.. They'll never know :frown:
:frown: I guess we should be happy because our parents have so much faith in us..But it just makes it even more stressful than it already is. I want to get in so badly!

Latest

Trending

Trending