The Student Room Group

choosing a sixth form

how do I decide if I want to move to another sixth form or stay for sixth form at my current school?!
you need to find out what other sixth forms there are in the local area and look at the subjects that you want to take there.
I would recommend open evenings however most of them have passed now but most schools or collages have all the information online. I have also had to decide whether I wanted to stay or leave this year and these are some of the most helpful questions I found

what does this school offer me that I can't get at my current sixth form?

how well would j adapt to the change in places and would it effect my learning at first?

would knowing my teachers help me feel more confident in my learning?

dose this place offer extra curricular activities that I could partake in?

how do the pass rates for the subjects you want to take/are considering compare?

how would I get there every day?

are there any unique opportunity that I would miss out on if I didn't go there?

do they teach in a different style? smaller/larger classes? what exam bords do the subjects use?

would I know people and if not would that effect my learning?

I hope thinking about these questions helps, obviously if a place is significantly better or offers different subjects/courses you want to take then you should 100 % go, however if you just fancy a change you should make sure you feel comfortable where you are going. and don't stress too much as you can always apply for more than 1 place and change your mind on where you want to go right up to the first day (and some schools even let you join back after).

hope this helps 😃
h

Original post by jilldavies
you need to find out what other sixth forms there are in the local area and look at the subjects that you want to take there.
I would recommend open evenings however most of them have passed now but most schools or collages have all the information online. I have also had to decide whether I wanted to stay or leave this year and these are some of the most helpful questions I found

what does this school offer me that I can't get at my current sixth form?

how well would j adapt to the change in places and would it effect my learning at first?

would knowing my teachers help me feel more confident in my learning?

dose this place offer extra curricular activities that I could partake in?

how do the pass rates for the subjects you want to take/are considering compare?

how would I get there every day?

are there any unique opportunity that I would miss out on if I didn't go there?

do they teach in a different style? smaller/larger classes? what exam bords do the subjects use?

would I know people and if not would that effect my learning?

I hope thinking about these questions helps, obviously if a place is significantly better or offers different subjects/courses you want to take then you should 100 % go, however if you just fancy a change you should make sure you feel comfortable where you are going. and don't stress too much as you can always apply for more than 1 place and change your mind on where you want to go right up to the first day (and some schools even let you join back after).

hope this helps 😃

thank you sm! I have till the end of November so will defintely have think over these questions xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending