English Lit VS Philosophy Watch

Jerking My Gerking
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have been offered a place at a sixthfrom for Maths A2, Further Maths, History, English Lit and Philosophy. I've decided not to take 5, but 4 instead and will either drop Lit or Philosophy. I want to do a degree in Maths most probs, and was wondering which one you would drop.

Thanks.
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
do english, it's amazing
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drop English lit. A lot of Philosophy is based on Logic and such, so it might be slightly more relevant. Plus, I found it more fun
DisgruntledMoth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think either would be fine... although I don't know for sure. I'm doing both Philosophy and English Lit A2, and whilst liking both, I enjoy Lit more.

It's just a question of which you think you'd prefer.
nothingspek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I take both, and love both, it depends on what you like best really. Both are well respected by unis, so both are good for you whichever you decide.
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Drop English lit. A lot of Philosophy is based on Logic and such, so it might be slightly more relevant. Plus, I found it more fun
At A-level?
I'd drop Philosophy. I've heard it's not that enjoyable at A-level.
Jerking My Gerking
Rep:
?
I have no preference really as I have never done philosophy. I don't like poetry. I'm a great fan of logic and debate.
theredwindmill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do Philosophy so i'm going to be slighly biased but yes do philosophy, even though i am quite terrible at the subject i enjoy it non the less
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A level Eng Lit is very good
Albangura
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do both and prefer Lit. For Maths though Philosophy would probably be better, in terms of logical thinking
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
At A-level?
I'd drop Philosophy. I've heard it's not that enjoyable at A-level.
I found it quite fun. Meh, it does vary from person to person.
The Mute
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
English Lit it up. The contrast to maths gives you a bit of variety.
Darkhadou
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Believe it or not, Philosophy goes hand in hand with Physics and Maths. Check which board your sixth form are doing Philosophy with, if it's AQA you're in for a treat. Great subject.
rainbow drops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
why don't you take physics instead of history/english/philosophy?
Jerking My Gerking
Rep:
?
What would really help, is if somebody could tell me what a philosophy exam is like. Is it knowledge based like a history exam, or analytical like Lit?
theredwindmill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Darkhadou)
Believe it or not, Philosophy goes hand in hand with Physics and Maths. Check which board your sixth form are doing Philosophy with, if it's AQA you're in for a treat. Great subject.
I agree with the AQA part, i've really enjoyed their course, although philosophy of religion i didn't really get
Jerking My Gerking
Rep:
?
(Original post by rainbow drops)
why don't you take physics instead of history/english/philosophy?
At my secondary school we did twenty first century science, which was just ticking boxes, so I know nothing for physics etc.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jerking My Gerking)
What would really help, is if somebody could tell me what a philosophy exam is like. Is it knowledge based like a history exam, or analytical like Lit?
A bit of both really. You explain the theories surrounding a question eg "There is no such thing as Life after death". You would go into what different scholars have said, different theories, and then you'd analyse and evaluate those theories, then conclude.
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I take both for IB, so I can't ocmment on the A level, but just generally.

I personally hate Philosophy - I used to love it at the beginning, and before the course, but our lessons seem rather tedious.
English Lit I've always disliked, but would recommend more than philosophy, because for me at least, I've gotten a lot more out of it, because of all the presentations/analysing we've done, it's helped in other areas.

However, for you, if you're interested in Maths I'd probably suggest philosophy. I've heard a lot of philosophers are great mathematicians because of the way philosophy helps you think, so maybe it oculd also help the other way round?
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i did philosophy at AS, it's a brilliant subject

i did english language and literature, which is slightly different to just literature which i found okay

in the end i dropped philosophy due to bad grades, and all my other subjects were social sciences so my ucas would look terrible without english (psychology, sociology and philosophy?)

but in your case i'd say go for philosophy, it's more enjoyable and more relative to your subject, it also teaches you to construct an argument really well

philosophy exams are essay based, and give you a theory, asking you to outline and evaluate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.51%
No - but I will (19)
5.67%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (162)
48.36%

Watched Threads