Investment Bank internship - advantageous for MC vac scheme applications? Watch

andro
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi there,

I was just wondering whether high regard would be given to an application where the applicant has had an internship experience at an investment bank -- I am currently working in the Asset Management Division in New York -- from the perspective of a Magic Circle firm or any other for that matter.

Would this experience help in trying to substantiate an appreciable level of commercial awareness? Also, how can I use this experience to my advantage on an application form?

Thanks very much!
ssk2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my mind? No, it shows that you want to be an IBer more than a lawyer. What are your reasons for switching?
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
First of all the firm will only give you a VS if you can prove that you genuinely want to be a commercial solicitor and are not just doing it to have your fingers in all the pies. However, if you can prove that then it can definitely be an advantage on your application form for showing commercial awareness etc although it'll be up to you to write about it in the correct way. For instance in the various open ended questions on the application form you might be able to draw advantages from your time in NY to ansewr the question.

A friend of mine has a TC with a firm in London and this summer is doing an IB internship, although he did have to lie a bit about having his TC in order to get this internship he is doing it purely to see it from the other(client) side and to get experience from all angles. It's a great idea, and I wish I had thought aobut it, so there's no reason why you cannot go the other way.
Schott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got a similar situation - I want to be a commercial solicitor and am doing a summer placement internship with BAE Systems. I was hoping this would give me reasonable commercial awareness? What do you all think?

I've just finished my first year at uni so wasn't really eligible for most vacation schemes.
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you weren't eligible for vacation schemes then all the better - you used your summer as constructively as you could to gain commercial knowledge. Good work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads