Best PAYG network? Watch

Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've had to dump off my contract - It was costing me far too much. So, now I'm on the hunt for the best PAYG tariff for me. I haven't been a PAYG custome for 3 years, so I'm really out of the loop. xD

I'm looking for something with good network coverage around Rutland, South Lincs and North Cambs as well as around Kingston, Surrey.

On my contract I was regularly exceeding 1000 texts a month (It happens when your partner is at work all day every day!!), so I'm looking for something with as many texts as possible (I know I'm not likely to get 1000!)

I'm not a big caller, but cheapish calls would be nice.
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure about the reception issue, but I still love the way Virgin to Virgin texts are 3p, and 10p to other networks.

Works for me. No idea how much calls are charged at...
Carlo08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
o2. Can get a genie sim which gives 300 free texts when you top up with £10 and you keep your credit.

You can get Magic numbers, 10 numbers on o2 you pick, and you get 1000 credits to use with them (1min or 1 txt =- 1 credit, all for £4.99 per month

Or o2 unlimited, £15 for unlimited texts and calls to o2 mobiles
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carlo08)
That might be useful, as partner is on o2!
chernij
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Orange - if you top up by £30 or more in one month, you get UNLIMITED texts to any network for the following month! Cheap rates, too!
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
When I was a PAYG customer, I found 02 prety good tbh. Also if you have family or friends who are on the same network, I found that calls were cheapish too.

I have no idea what its like now as been on contract for 3yrs+.
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
o2 definitely.

loads of good bolt ons etc. I get 1000 free mins/texts to other o2 mobiles for £5 a month, and considering everyone bar like 2 people I know are on o2, reeeally good.
pianofingers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
O2 and Orange both have certain tariffs whereby you can obtain a large amount of free texts by topping up a certain amount every month -- £15+ gets 500 free texts and £30 gets unlimited texts. This is calculated from your previous month of top-ups.

T-Mobile have a tariff that gives you very cheap texts at 3p per text but calls would be 40p a minute on this tariff.

You might want to consider a sim-only contract as opposed to PAYG. Sim-only contracts are only 30-days long, so you'd pay every month until you give notice. As they don't come with a handset you get the value of a contract at a fraction of a price (e.g. Vodafone's £20/month -- 500mins and unlimited texts).

Hope this helps!
suek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How much are you willing to spend per month?

You could consider the 30 day contracts, Orange have a great one for a texter including Unlimited (*5000 a month fair usage) for I *think* it was £20/month.

Edit: Contracts like this are sim only

Edit2 : very similar to the Voda one mentioned oops
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
O2 or voda still have the best coverage due to having access to all three bands gsm900/ gsm1800/ umts2100 vs 0range and one to none on gsm1800and umts and three's native network on umts only ...
suek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zippyRN)
O2 or voda still have the best coverage due to having access to all three bands gsm900/ gsm1800/ umts2100 vs 0range and one to none on gsm1800and umts and three's native network on umts only ...
Three piggyback in non 3g areas.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by zippyRN)

... It's like a different language.
greenwaytph
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Carlo08)
o2. Can get a genie sim which gives 300 free texts when you top up with £10 and you keep your credit.

You can get Magic numbers, 10 numbers on o2 you pick, and you get 1000 credits to use with them (1min or 1 txt =- 1 credit, all for £4.99 per month

I agree 100%
Makaveli_The_Don
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
o2, just top up £15 every month for unlimited texts.
or Vodafone, you get free texts and calls on weekends if you use up for than £5 credit in a week. IMO o2 is better.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Orange do Magic Numbers too, but it's 3 Orange numbers and you have to top up by £10 every month for you to keep it going. You can also get free texts/minutes for a certain amount of top-up each month. The call rates are 15p per minute to Orange phones and 25p per minute to other networks and landlines.
I find the coverage in my area is sometimes poor though.
hazzypants
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm on 3, coverage isn't great, but it's acceptable , can go dodgy in the countryside

£20 a month gives me free voicemail, 300 free 3 to 3 minutes, free internet browsing, and 1100 minutes/ texts (mix and match) a month

It's the best I could find fro the price.

Dwonside, only a few handsets are good, but they do offer some good nokia's or sony's (sony k800i )
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I use 02 PAYG genie (think it's still called that) where I top up a tenner a month and get 300 free texts. You use the £10 as your calling credit, and every three months, they give you £3 extra calling credit for being with them. Pretty good.
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thanette)
I use 02 PAYG genie (think it's still called that) where I top up a tenner a month and get 300 free texts. You use the £10 as your calling credit, and every three months, they give you £3 extra calling credit for being with them. Pretty good.
every 3 months o2 give you 10% of what you've topped up in that time....
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by squeak)
every 3 months o2 give you 10% of what you've topped up in that time....
Same thing, yes...but I've just put it in less abstract terms. 30% could seem a lot to the unaware thinking they're getting some fantastic bonus-until you know it's actually just three quid. But better than nothing.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by thanette)
Same thing, yes...
It's not the same thing if I top up £15 every month. :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads