Holiday entitlement? Debenhams/John Lewis Watch

emmaec
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've just got a permanent part-time job in Debenhams but I have a one week holiday coming up in just under a month, would I be allowed this week off?
zooeyj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You need to book it off! No idea what paid holiday entitlement you're allowed to tho as I don't work for Debenhams..!
toffeepoppet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Standard holiday entitlement is 24 days per year for a full-time worker and pro-rata for part time, e.g. if you work 2.5 days per week it would be 12 days a year. It takes just under 3 months to accrue one working week's holiday so unless Debenhams have a very large holiday entitlement you will not have accrued enough holiday to take the week off. They may be able to give you unpaid holiday but this would be at their discretion.
emmaec
Cheers. I will, but I only got the job yesterday! Surely they should have asked me if I had any holidays coming up in one of the two interviews I was invited to, seen as they need the staff desperately. I'm not too bothered about holiday pay I didn't expect it, i'm more concerned about keeping the job!
emmaec
(Original post by toffeepoppet)
Standard holiday entitlement is 24 days per year for a full-time worker and pro-rata for part time, e.g. if you work 2.5 days per week it would be 12 days a year. It takes just under 3 months to accrue one working week's holiday so unless Debenhams have a very large holiday entitlement you will not have accrued enough holiday to take the week off. They may be able to give you unpaid holiday but this would be at their discretion.
Oh dear! I'm contracted 12 hours per week, but I finish college in 2 weeks so I should imagine i'll be put down for more, hopefully I can sort something ot, as I said i'm not too bothered about the pay I wouldn't expect it from them after only working for 2-3 weeks
mattc91
Report 10 years ago
I had the exact same probem when I joined John Lewis last year. They just told me to provide proof that I had already planned and booked the holiday before I applied for the job. Once I showed them my plane tickets they didn't seem to mind at all. I'm sure you'll be fine
emmaec
(Original post by mattc91)
I had the exact same probem when I joined John Lewis last year. They just told me to provide proof that I had already planned and booked the holiday before I applied for the job. Once I showed them my plane tickets they didn't seem to mind at all. I'm sure you'll be fine
Thanks, I was just thinking that then, and I also have quite a few concerts coming up with Lupe Fiasco and Michael Buble in the next week, this shouldn't be a problem should it with me only being contracted to 12 hours, three 4 hour shirts, so this won't matter will it?
TheOneWho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It won't be a problem unless you are wanting to take time off for them, especially if it's just after taking a holiday for a week.
Rob 07
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I work in debenhams (and have done for almost 2 years now ) part-time (weekends) 8 hours per week i get an annual holiday allowance of 35.2 hours which equates to 4 paid weekends off per year, if you have just started your holiday entitlement will be pro-rata over the year which for me if i was just starting now would be approx 26.4 hours or 3 weekends off.

Hope this helps
Rob
kaytee.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by emmaec)
Thanks, I was just thinking that then, and I also have quite a few concerts coming up with Lupe Fiasco and Michael Buble in the next week, this shouldn't be a problem should it with me only being contracted to 12 hours, three 4 hour shirts, so this won't matter will it?

do you work in liverpool debenhams? if so, are there any more jobs going do you know?
btw, i see your from liverpool, you going the lupe fiasco gig at the academy?
emmaec
(Original post by Rob 07)
I work in debenhams (and have done for almost 2 years now ) part-time (weekends) 8 hours per week i get an annual holiday allowance of 35.2 hours which equates to 4 paid weekends off per year, if you have just started your holiday entitlement will be pro-rata over the year which for me if i was just starting now would be approx 26.4 hours or 3 weekends off.

Hope this helps
Rob
Yeah, thanks Rob. I work 12 hours a week, so i'm guessing that's roughly the same/a bit more than yours? I'm not entirely sure what pro-rota means though!
emmaec
(Original post by kaytee.)
do you work in liverpool debenhams? if so, are there any more jobs going do you know?
btw, i see your from liverpool, you going the lupe fiasco gig at the academy?
Yeah Liverpool Debenhams! I'm not sure, there was a load of sales assistant jobs but all the interviews were in the week just gone, but i'd just send your CV and a cover letter to them, address it to Tom Skelland and then sick the deenhams liverpool address underneathe it!

And yeah, I am goin the Liverpool gig, are you?
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should have told them at the interview. You shouldn't need to wait to be asked. As you didnt tell them then they dont have to let you have the time off. Why on earth didnt you tell them?
emmaec
(Original post by Nina)
You should have told them at the interview. You shouldn't need to wait to be asked. As you didnt tell them then they dont have to let you have the time off. Why on earth didnt you tell them?
Possibly because I didn't want to sound too cocky, then in the second interview I wasn't given the change to, I was put straight to work to see how I could handle it then shown the door. Then I got a phone call, but the battery on my house phone died, bad times really!
magicbean
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Possibly because I didn't want to sound too cocky, then in the second interview I wasn't given the change to, I was put straight to work to see how I could handle it then shown the door. Then I got a phone call, but the battery on my house phone died, bad times really!
Ring them first thing tomorrow morning!
emmaec
(Original post by magicbean)
Ring them first thing tomorrow morning!
I plan to I was jus wondering how to go about it all really.
Rob 07
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, thanks Rob. I work 12 hours a week, so i'm guessing that's roughly the same/a bit more than yours? I'm not entirely sure what pro-rota means though!
Pro-rata just means that you get the proportion, in this case holiday entitlement, to which you are entitled, the debenhams holiday period is the same as the tax year so if you are employed on the first day of the tax year you will be entitled to the full entitlement however if you start employment 3 months into the holiday year then you will only be entitled to 9/12 of the holiday entitlement - that is what is meant by pro-rata

So many entitlements hope that makes sense

You just need to speak to your line manager to book the holiday, officially you are supposed to give so many weeks notice but usually and in my experience line managers will usually accomodate your needs so you should be fine in getting the time off in which you need

Rob
kaytee.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah Liverpool Debenhams! I'm not sure, there was a load of sales assistant jobs but all the interviews were in the week just gone, but i'd just send your CV and a cover letter to them, address it to Tom Skelland and then sick the deenhams liverpool address underneathe it!

And yeah, I am goin the Liverpool gig, are you?
ahhh ok, i'll send my cv anyway.
i havent got my tickets yet but i think i'm going
emmaec
(Original post by Rob 07)
Pro-rata just means that you get the proportion, in this case holiday entitlement, to which you are entitled, the debenhams holiday period is the same as the tax year so if you are employed on the first day of the tax year you will be entitled to the full entitlement however if you start employment 3 months into the holiday year then you will only be entitled to 9/12 of the holiday entitlement - that is what is meant by pro-rata

So many entitlements hope that makes sense

You just need to speak to your line manager to book the holiday, officially you are supposed to give so many weeks notice but usually and in my experience line managers will usually accomodate your needs so you should be fine in getting the time off in which you need

Rob

Thanks alot Rob, so I assume i'm gona be entitled to 9/12? As I said i'm not too bothered because I wouldn't expect pay off them having only just started, I probably will only just be out of training by then anyway. But I guess i'll be gettin 9/12 of my 12 hours per week! i.e 9 hours pay?
Rob 07
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks alot Rob, so I assume i'm gona be entitled to 9/12? As I said i'm not too bothered because I wouldn't expect pay off them having only just started, I probably will only just be out of training by then anyway. But I guess i'll be gettin 9/12 of my 12 hours per week! i.e 9 hours pay?
You will get full pay when you are off but you won't be entitled to as many days off in the year as you would be if you are there at the beginning of the year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads