LoranMcLean
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Explore how Dickens presents ideas about responsibility:
Write about:
- How Dickens uses Fezziwig to present ideas about responsibility in this extract
- How dickens presents ideas about responsibility in the novel as a whole
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I hope you don't expect us to do your work for you.
LoranMcLean
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I needed help understanding what it meant by responsibility- I'm new here I didn't know how to ask the question properly sorry
aciana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LoranMcLean)
I needed help understanding what it meant by responsibility- I'm new here I didn't know how to ask the question properly sorry
Have you looked up the word "responsibility?" Here are some definitions that might be useful:

1.Having an obligation to do something, or having control over or care for someone, as part of one's job or role.
2.being the primary cause of something and so able to be blamed or credited for it.
3.(of a job or position) involving important duties, independent decision-making, or control over others.

How do these definitions relate (or not relate) to Scrooge and the Christmas Carol as a whole? who do you think is responsible for who in life (such as in families and in society)? Who decides who is responsibility, what different types of responsibility are there and what is the effect of people feeling responsibility as opposed to not feeling responsibility for certain things in life? how does this tie in to other feelings like blame, being caring toward others, and the common theme in Dickens' work of the natural inequalities/hierarchies that exist in society and life and how to make conscious changes for the better.
nemo04
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Aaaah, that brings me back -_-

You coukl say tha Fezziwig takes responsibility when he invites all his employees in a grand feast.

For the second question, think about when Scrooge actullay takes responsibility e.g. at the end when he changes from a stingy to a moral man. Takes respnsibility for Bob, especially in the predicament he is in
Last edited by nemo04; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (42)
19.27%
Unconditional if firmed (18)
8.26%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.92%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.29%
No unconditional offers (151)
69.27%

Watched Threads