Conservative Party's ambitious house building programme Watch

Kitten in boots
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
In 2015 the Conservatives gave us a manifesto pledge to build 200,000 starter homes aimed at first time buyers.

The National Audit Office has concluded that the scheme has resulted in zero houses being built.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50296672

I don't know whether to attribute this to Conservative incompetence or their brazen belief that regardless of how many times they fail to deliver, they know that many people will obediently vote for them.

Either way, it offers some insight in what we can expect from a future Conservative government.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
In 2015 the Conservatives gave us a manifesto pledge to build 200,000 starter homes aimed at first time buyers.

The National Audit Office has concluded that the scheme has resulted in zero houses being built.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50296672

I don't know whether to attribute this to Conservative incompetence or their brazen belief that regardless of how many times they fail to deliver, they know that many people will obediently vote for them.

Either way, it offers some insight in what we can expect from a future Conservative government.
The article points out that the legislation was due to be put before parliament in 2019 but like most things it has probably got cast aside in favour of Brexit legislation and then the leader change.

This is what happens when governments have a minority. The SNP have barely passed anything of note in the Scottish parliament.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
The article points out that the legislation was due to be put before parliament in 2019 but like most things it has probably got cast aside in favour of Brexit legislation and then the leader change.

This is what happens when governments have a minority. The SNP have barely passed anything of note in the Scottish parliament.
It was a 2015 pledge, not a 2017 pledge.

The Conservatives had the majority to pass this through prior to the 2017 election.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
It was a 2015 pledge, not a 2017 pledge.

The Conservatives had the majority to pass this through prior to the 2017 election.
Yes but the initial policy was aimed at the later part of the decade and the 2017 was unplanned. Presumably there was just no rush (they did buy the land according to the article) and then Brexit took over.
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you need insight on what a Tory Governments looks like just have a look at the past 9 years.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Which is all entirely the Conservatives' fault.

This is what happens when governments have a minority.
The opposition are not against building new starter homes. Quite the opposite in fact.
Last edited by Dez; 1 week ago
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dez)
Which is all entirely the Conservatives' fault.

The opposition are not against building new starter homes. Quite the opposite in fact.
I never said they were and your correct, i was simply dismissing the OP's tone that it was akin to a policy lie. As a Tory i can tell you that the Starter Home Idea is exactly what aspirational conservatism should be about (removing the burden of taxation and passing that discount to people in the name of enriching our property owning democracy). In this case it's simply an idea that has been drown out, a bad thing but not a malicious thing.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Makes sense...

The tory party have failed on housing for the past 9 years. Its clearly and observably one of the nations biggest failings at the moment. Its a problem we have litterally solved before. Look at what we did in the 20th century. We nailed it. We wen't from around 20% home ownership to around 70% by the early 2000s. We know how to do it.. but we wont.

Why? Because this is a key point of conflict within the tory party between their social and economic interests. Socially they are all for home ownership, its a key aspriational goal, and part of the bedrock of conservative family units and communities. But economically? its a disaster. A house price collapse - which is what we need socially - would be awful for the economy, and hurt those who the tories care about most: themselves. Its their assets that would loose value, their rental property that will loose income, and the economy taking a knock will hurt their investments.

So we are paralysed, and reduced to just small token gestures. Even if this policy had happened, 200,000 new starter homes is a drop in the ocean of what we need.

---

Housing is one area where Labour get my support.

People will point out how their policies regarding building and rent controls will hurt the economy. Good.

The economy needs hurting... when it comes to housing the economy is an inflated bubble that doesn't reflect a workable reality. If the only way to keep our ecomony as it is is to **** over the younger generations and undo all of the progress we made with housing over the 20th century.. then that's not a workable and sustainable economy for us. It should shrink back a bit and fall in line with a model that actually works for its citizens on one of their most basic needs.

As for the enviroment and building new houses in the countryside.. what can we do? its not my choice.. I didn't want to import 5 million people and not build enough homes for them, let alone our own increasing population... I am quite happy taking measures to keep our population under control.. but if the goverment wants the benefits from a growing population, they need to expand our housing.

Do you want to know a damning statistic:

Not once... since mass migration started in 1998, has the number of new homes built in a year been bigger than the number of migrants entering the country. Every year. More people come in, than houses are built. Obviously that doesn't even include new births and our own population increases, and that's both under a Labour and Tory goverment. (because while I blame the torries currently.. this problem was started under New Labour. It was in the early 2000s under the last Labour goverment that we saw the first reversal in home ownership).

Its also not the migrants fault.. they are playing by the rules and getting the best life they can - its not their fault the goverment encourages them to come but then refuses to take the measures required to build the homes that their arrival causes.

Anyway, its a lesson not learned from history.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.8%
Spring (35)
18.52%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.34%
Winter (36)
19.05%
I love them all equally (10)
5.29%