How do you decide what you want to study at university? Watch

elliesbg
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I'm in year 13 but I can't decide what to study at university. The subjects I take are fine art, history and sociology a level and my target grades are AAA (if that helps?) Applications for 2020 university admission are due in January but I am taking a gap year next year so will not be applying this Jan as I still don't know which university I want to go to or what course to take. Is there any way to make this decision easier for me?
13spriggss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had this issue deciding between Acting and Musical Theatre. In the end, the way i decided on acting was i thought about where i wanna be and what i wanna be doing in 5 years. I think that really helps. think about that, cos no one can tell you what to do, but where you wanna be and the area that you really enjoy is two really important things to consider
elliesbg
Rep:
?
(Original post by 13spriggss)
I had this issue deciding between Acting and Musical Theatre. In the end, the way i decided on acting was i thought about where i wanna be and what i wanna be doing in 5 years. I think that really helps. think about that, cos no one can tell you what to do, but where you wanna be and the area that you really enjoy is two really important things to consider
Thank you! I think one of the issues for me is that I still don't know what I want to do or where I want to be in 5 years (I think I'm just a very indecisive person lol)
Ponocky
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're definitely unsure, it might be worth taking a gap year to figure it out instead of being in a course you dont want to be in
elliesbg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ponocky)
If you're definitely unsure, it might be worth taking a gap year to figure it out instead of being in a course you dont want to be in
That's what I'm doing actually. But the problem is that it doesn't really give me much longer to decide. I only really have the spring to decide, as if I want to apply for university for 2021 then my application will be due in next October-Jan. It kinda sucks that I don't actually have my gap year to explore my interests and find something I'm really passionate about...
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do you want to go to university?
elliesbg
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinfonietta)
Why do you want to go to university?
Life experience, the social aspect, I enjoy studying in this way, on average people with degrees earn more after leaving education, I want to keep my options open- these are the main reasons I can think of at the moment (I know that some of these reasons also apply to other options)
WinterKuma
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about liberal arts?
elliesbg
Rep:
?
(Original post by WinterKuma)
What about liberal arts?
What is that?
remussjhj01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elliesbg)
What is that?
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...-liberal-arts/
This is the course at Bristol who ask for your grades and you meet the subject requirements too.
elliesbg
Rep:
?
(Original post by remussjhj01)
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...-liberal-arts/
This is the course at Bristol who ask for your grades and you meet the subject requirements too.
Thank you!
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you!
No worries. There are some other unis that do it too, so might be worth looking into more.
13spriggss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you! I think one of the issues for me is that I still don't know what I want to do or where I want to be in 5 years (I think I'm just a very indecisive person lol)
Yeah, I totally get that feeling haha. Whats your fave subject at the moment?
Batman 2.0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Make a list of courses you like. Number them and pick a course using a random number generator.
elliesbg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 13spriggss)
Yeah, I totally get that feeling haha. Whats your fave subject at the moment?
That the thing, I love all my subjects. There bits of each of them that I dislike and there's bits of each of them that I love. I wouldn't say that I have a favorite because it just depends what type of mood i'm in. What's your favorite subject at the moment?
hokyung1121
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've applied for Liberal Arts to start in 2020 and received offers from Bristol, King's and Exeter. Although I have not yet started my course, what I can tell you is that Liberal Arts is definitely an interdisciplinary degree that allows you to explore different aspects in every subjects. I decided to apply for this course because I love History but then again I'm also drawn to Psychology, so Liberal Arts was perfect for me in the sense that I get to construct what I learn over the years rather than focusing only on one subject. With this degree, you have around 10 subjects to study and you would have your major and minor and sub topics (this is different for different unis), and even though the offered subjects varies, often it consists of History, History of Art, Sociology, Psychology, English Literature, Film Studies ect. Look at the uni websites for more information, obviously I'm speaking in a general term. Hope this helped!
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Magic 8 ball
Maple_Leaf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's definitely a tough decision in terms of choosing a course and you'll always wonder about other courses, but I would say just research as much as possible to explore your options. My advice would also be to focus on what you can picture yourself studying for 3 years and look into the different modules and what you jumps out at you as looking interesting.

Also, if absolutely necessary there is the possibility of changing course if you pick something then don't enjoy it, but I think once you have made a decision and get stuck into something it will be great. You can always pursue other interests relating to your subjects outside of uni too. Have a research online/the forums on here/asking various people and hopefully when the time comes around that you have to apply, you will feel more ready!
elliesbg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by hokyung1121)
I've applied for Liberal Arts to start in 2020 and received offers from Bristol, King's and Exeter. Although I have not yet started my course, what I can tell you is that Liberal Arts is definitely an interdisciplinary degree that allows you to explore different aspects in every subjects. I decided to apply for this course because I love History but then again I'm also drawn to Psychology, so Liberal Arts was perfect for me in the sense that I get to construct what I learn over the years rather than focusing only on one subject. With this degree, you have around 10 subjects to study and you would have your major and minor and sub topics (this is different for different unis), and even though the offered subjects varies, often it consists of History, History of Art, Sociology, Psychology, English Literature, Film Studies ect. Look at the uni websites for more information, obviously I'm speaking in a general term. Hope this helped!
Thank you, this is very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (352)
46.44%
No (81)
10.69%
I'm not old enough (325)
42.88%

Watched Threads