Marking at University Watch

rangers_mad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi there y'all

I'm off to Cardiff University in September to study Economics. I was just wondering whether you could guess as to how I will be marked for my degree i.e. Will it be solely exam-based, or will I have essays/coursework which will aid towards my mark?

Also, are tutors at university as helpful as some A-Level tutors i.e. will advise with coursework on how to get the best grade possible etc.

Thanks in advance
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
look on the website/email them about both questions but my guesses are:

idk but probably some coursework, there often is but not always.
and yes.
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why would you have to guess? Did you not do any research before choosing your uni?
brown
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Please ignore the post above, which isn't helpful at all.

In response to your questions, yes there is usually a mixture of exams and coursework. Have a look on your university and academic department's website - it should tell you how the course is assessed on there.

I have found my tutors to be quite helpful. They tell you what they expect of you and are willing to give advice/feedback if you want it. However there is a lot more emphasis on independent learning at university, which means you should use your own initiative to find the answers to your questions where possible.
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
Why would you have to guess? Did you not do any research before choosing your uni?
I fail to see what's rude about this post. I admit it's not helpful (I can't help because I don't know the answer), but the OP could've written this exact post 7 months ago before making his Uni choice to make sure in 10 months time he isn't creating a 'I want to transfer'/'I hate my course' type thread. Also, the people who may have some ideas about how the course is run would be able to give better advice if they know what you know/what you've already found out through your research.

So to the brave anonymous person who neg-repped me, if that post was rude, you must cry a little every time you use this forum because I simply asked 2 relevant questions without a hint of malice in them at all. :rolleyes:
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would imagine that most modules you will undertake will be a mix of coursework (essays, log books, presentations, portfolio as appropriate) and examinations. There will be a varied weighting to each part of the assessment process - you will be told at the start of each module what is involved.

As your course progresses you will have more contact with the staff, and will work more closely with them so that by the time you do a dissertation in your third year you will be having regular tutorials with your supervisor. Yes, lecturers are helpful. At least these have been my experiences.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The assessment schedule will be listed in your module catalogue when you arrive

some will be exam only, some exam and coursework

tutors not as helpful as a level but they will help you out, best way is to email them first or catch them at the end of a tutorial and if need be make an appointment with them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise