Poll: Critical Thinking A2 vs. another AS
Critical Thinking A2 (1)
4.76%
Another AS (20)
95.24%
htuck
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am wondering whether a critical thinking A Level would look better than an AS Level (for example, English Lit, Psychology, Classical Civilisation or History). I can't do another A Level, as CT to A2 is offered as a 1 year course. Please tell me what you think... By the way, I am eventually hoping to study medicine at a good uni (possibly Oxbridge or a London one).
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my opinion, steer well clear of Critical Thinking (and General Studies). Taking Psychology I think would be your best bet out of your listed subjects, but I don't think a subject like Critical Thinking is thought of very highly.
Liar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Neither will 'look better'. As long as you have 4 AS levels and 3 A level subjects you're equal to everyone else with the right grades. Having done an extra AS gives you no advantage and critical thinking counts for nothing so unless you want to do these extra subjects because you genuinely really are interested in studying them then don't bother with either. Use the time to relax, get involved in extracurricular things, or to gain some more work experience and learn more about your chosen career
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on where you are planning to apply - some places do look favourably on critical thinking.

At the end of the day, you should take whatever interestes you, you need to do well in the subject, and not try to play some kind of guessing game.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by htuck)
I am wondering whether a critical thinking A Level would look better than an AS Level (for example, English Lit, Psychology, Classical Civilisation or History). I can't do another A Level, as CT to A2 is offered as a 1 year course. Please tell me what you think... By the way, I am eventually hoping to study medicine at a good uni (possibly Oxbridge or a London one).
I doubt any unis will have an opinion on which is better. But to be sure, you should email the ones you're interested in. We're not exactly admissions tutors!
bysshe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by htuck)
I've studied English Lit, Classical Civilisation, History andCritical Thinking this year (Critical Thinking was compulsory), and I can honestly say that Critical Thinking was my least favourite by a long way. If you're interested in it, then by all means consider it, but it seemed like a "waste" of a subject, and most other people felt the same way.

If you're planning on studying medicine then perhaps an AS in Psychology would be good, but I think that almost any AS subject would be better than Critical Thinking...especially if you're planning on going for Oxbridge or a good London university.
juicyfruit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eurgh you will throughly regret taking such a pointless load of cobswollop if you chose critical thinking!
cantthinkofaname
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by htuck)
critical thinking is only rlly useful as a fourth of fifth A2/AS. i dont think some unis accept critical thinking as an A level so be careful.
htuck
Thank you for all the advice, and I would be considering it as a 4th or 5th A Level. I just know so universities prefer you to have an arts subject as a contrast to all the science subjects.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by htuck)
Thank you for all the advice, and I would be considering it as a 4th or 5th A Level. I just know so universities prefer you to have an arts subject as a contrast to all the science subjects.
Yeh, they appreciate an art subject or a humanity. As far as I know, Critical Thinking is not in either of these brackets.

However, it will help you with your UKCAT and/or BMAT - apparently. You could also perhaps use it as leverage in your interview/personal statement; saying that by taking this subject you've learnt how to approach things critically, et cetera.

It wont directly help your application, though. You need to think about if the work (?) required to get a high grade in the subject is worth the very limited benefits.
htuck
Yeah, true. I guess I could take it if the workload isn't too impossible in yr 12. I'll have to see. I do see that the subject isn't really relevant and doesn't add much to my general application. And with the new A* grade being introduced, I guess it will be better to score highly in less subjects than get okayish grades in lots?
htuck
Especially if I'm wanting to go to a top uni...
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by htuck)
I guess it will be better to score highly in less subjects than get okayish grades in lots?
Bingo! I'm not an admissions tutor though, but I strongly assume that is the case.
martin101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
In my opinion, steer well clear of Critical Thinking (and General Studies). Taking Psychology I think would be your best bet out of your listed subjects, but I don't think a subject like Critical Thinking is thought of very highly.
Nooooo dont do psychology, thats one of these new fangled subjects that are a bit iffy. Id suggest either history or eng lit (especially since these are essay based and will give you some practice - my essay writing skills sucked (and I guess still do))
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by martin101)
Nooooo dont do psychology, thats one of these new fangled subjects that are a bit iffy. Id suggest either history or eng lit (especially since these are essay based and will give you some practice - my essay writing skills sucked (and I guess still do))
I'm going to take Psychology and genuine question: how come it is a bit iffy?
htuck
I have heard that Psychology is considered to be an 'iffy' subject, but I wasn't sure if that was an accurate portrayal of it. martin101, could you please tell me what pre-uni qualifications you did; hopefully it might help me decide with mine!
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm personally doing Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Psychology/Ethics - dropping one of Psychology or Physics at AS (to continue with the remaining and Bio/Chem at A2). I plan to take forward whichever it looks like I will get a higher grade in and by extension, enjoy more.
htuck
Beska, seems like you're doing a lot of qualifications! Btw, would you recommend Ethics?
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by htuck)
Beska, seems like you're doing a lot of qualifications! Btw, would you recommend Ethics?
Not started it yet, but from all the course descriptions I've heard and anecdotal evidence from past students - I would.

I think it's a subject that is extremely significant to a career in medicine; both directly - dealing with many ethical situations you will encounter during your practice and indirectly - it helps you formulate ideas (specific to medical ethics for example euthanasia, "which patient to treat", etc) during your interview.

I have either the choice of Ethics, General Studies, Critical Thinking or doing a sport during those periods and getting no qualification (heh). I think Ethics is a stellar choice there.
martin101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by htuck)
I have heard that Psychology is considered to be an 'iffy' subject, but I wasn't sure if that was an accurate portrayal of it. martin101, could you please tell me what pre-uni qualifications you did; hopefully it might help me decide with mine!
Unfortunately not much help to you (as I did a fairly boring selection) - I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths all to A2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (366)
37.31%
No - but I will (74)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (69)
7.03%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (472)
48.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise