Thinking of dropping out in final year but not sure what to do...

Watch
username3661762
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently a third year student studying an Illustration course; right now I'm at the point where I want to drop out. Since starting my course two years ago, I've been stressed out because of the work and the thought of not getting the grades I need to get. In first year, I was close to dropping out because of this and I used to have stress related illness (mainly vomiting at random tines/getting ill etc.). I have seen a doctor before and a counsellor + I did talk to my tutor about my options and I chose to at least stick it out to see how things would go.

Looking back at my university experiences, I've realised that doing academia/degrees isn't really for me. I knew it wasn't going to be easy (I am used to doing a lot of work in courses even though I don't enjoy it). I don't necessarily regret going to university in a way because I've made good friends that I want to stay in touch with, I've done work experience and most of the career/digital workshops have been really useful to me. However, as mentioned the academic stress gets to me a lot.

I have been doing a lot of research in terms of what to do and I know that if I were to leave university (IIRC) now, I would get a DipHE (as I have completed two years of my course already without resits). As of now, I am unsure of my decision, a part of me wants to get the degree so I can at least finish the course but a part of me wants to drop out. Knowing my mindset, if I dropped out, I wouldn't want to try university again and I am OK with it. On the other hand, if I finish the degree, I know that I don't want to do a masters (I would rather get work experience in the art industry instead whilst doing full time work as I want to explore my options early on after graduation).

I'm not really sure where I'm at with this so some advice would help.
cheerIeader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've come this far.. just finish the degree with a bang & get a 1st.

Then you can do whatever you want to do ranging from a postgrad to employment in a completely different field. It'd be a different situation if you were in your first year and considering dropping out.
username3661762
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheerIeader)
You've come this far.. just finish the degree with a bang & get a 1st.

Then you can do whatever you want to do ranging from a postgrad to employment in a completely different field. It'd be a different situation if you were in your first year and considering dropping out.
I guess that is the side I am leaning towards; I would like to get either a 2:1/1st (this is what I want to aim for as I don't want to get a low grade and regret) but at the same time a part of me isn't confident; as mentioned before academia really stresses me out. I don't know if I am the only one who feels like this but I guess a part of me kinda rushed into university (until second year of college I never really had talks about other options, it was always university or be a failure). I think me doing this degree has made me learn a few things + I don't want to do something I'll regret later.
username3661762
Rep:
?
(Original post by sadsushi)
I guess that is the side I am leaning towards; I would like to get either a 2:1/1st (this is what I want to aim for as I don't want to get a low grade and regret) but at the same time a part of me isn't confident; as mentioned before academia really stresses me out. I don't know if I am the only one who feels like this but I guess a part of me kinda rushed into university (until second year of college I never really had talks about other options, it was always university or be a failure). I think me doing this degree has made me learn a few things + I don't want to do something I'll regret later.
*typo on regret, I meant regret it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.39%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.04%
I need help with my personal statement (56)
40.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.18%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.16%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.19%

Watched Threads