Who to vote for if you don’t know? Watch

anongirl_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
This will be my first vote but I’m not really into the whole politics and stuff so i don’t want to not vote it’s just i don’t know who is the best and who stands for what i stand for.. i tried searching but it’s all so confusing on what each party offer
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Vote Labour!
originalbiscotti
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
dont vote for the sake of it.
educate yourself. read manifestos, see whos policies you identify with, and vote accordingly.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by anongirl_)
This will be my first vote but I’m not really into the whole politics and stuff so i don’t want to not vote it’s just i don’t know who is the best and who stands for what i stand for.. i tried searching but it’s all so confusing on what each party offer
This is pretty much a brexit election.

Vote conservatives if you believe in democracy and want brexit.

Vote liberal Democrats if you dont and want brexit stopped.

I think that's about it, normally it's about social policies but to me this is all about brexit.
foldingdeckchair
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
what are the key issues you care about?
do any on this list stand out to you?
- delivering brexit
- second referendum
- climate change
- the nhs
because basically vote tory or brexit party if you want a no deal brexit as soon as possible, they dont care much about climate change, and want to privatise the NHS (meaning youll have to pay)
labour want a second referendum, of which they say they will honour either way, and they want a deal for brexit (basically meaning we are in a better position for trade, economy, and holidays lol) and they want to work hard to prevent damage to the environment. They want to prevent privatisation of the NHS.
You can vote lib dems if you want a second referendum but dont care much about social reform
greens campaign on climate change mostly, but if im being honest they dont really have any chance of winning a seat in most areas.
Obviously im bias towards labour, but this is essentially a breakdown of what a vote for each one means.
good luck
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by foldingdeckchair)
- delivering brexit
- second referendum
- climate change
- the nhs
because basically vote tory or brexit party if you want a no deal brexit as soon as possible, they dont care much about climate change, and want to privatise the NHS (meaning youll have to pay)
labour want a second referendum, of which they say they will honour either way, and they want a deal for brexit (basically meaning we are in a better position for trade, economy, and holidays lol) and they want to work hard to prevent damage to the environment. They want to prevent privatisation of the NHS.
You can vote lib dems if you want a second referendum but dont care much about social reform
greens campaign on climate change mostly, but if im being honest they dont really have any chance of winning a seat in most areas.
Obviously im bias towards labour, but this is essentially a breakdown of what a vote for each one means.
good luck
Sorry but that's not true, the conservatives dont want a no deal brexit at all, they categorically wont do this and I can't see anymore privatising of the NHS happening in the next 5 years, the spending pledges are huge.

Also as much as I'm a labour man, it is inportant8we remember most of the privatisation of the NHS, we did under blair!
foldingdeckchair
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Sorry but that's not true, the conservatives dont want a no deal brexit at all, they categorically wont do this and I can't see anymore privatising of the NHS happening in the next 5 years, the spending pledges are huge.

Also as much as I'm a labour man, it is inportant8we remember most of the privatisation of the NHS, we did under blair!
boris johnson literally said he would rather die in a ditch than not leave brexit on the 31st, deal or not, and suspended parliament in order to avoid a deal. Also corbyn is literally campaigning on stopping privatisation of the NHS. I hate blair as much as literally everyone else lol, just because he was labour leader doesnt mean he has the same values as corbyn
keatsian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Think about the ideals and aims you value. When the manifesto are released, most parties offer a condensed version revealing their key points and policies. For now, the 2017 manifestos will probably help guide you somewhat. Also think about voting tactically - e.g. if you want the Conservatives out, vote for the second largest party in your constituency.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
boris johnson literally said he would rather die in a ditch than not leave brexit on the 31st, deal or not, and suspended parliament in order to avoid a deal. Also corbyn is literally campaigning on stopping privatisation of the NHS. I hate blair as much as literally everyone else lol, just because he was labour leader doesnt mean he has the same values as corbyn
Thankfully not I agree, one blair is enough I'm with you there!

However you are incorrect about Borris, you need the abilty to walk away from a deal I order to get a deal. Borris did not suspend parliament in order to avoid a deal, if parliament had not passed the surrender act then we would of left now WITH a deal!
JackFWHoughton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think the main thing to think about this election is that we have three parties (if you include the Lib Dems, I personally don't due to the fact that they aren't a main party in the current Parliament) who have three radically different paths for Brexit. Unfortunately this is a Brexit election, whether we like it or not, issues on the NHS, the economy and climate change will simply be a byproduct and tidbits thrown around for the media circus to peddle. They are important, but until Brexit is done it will never receive the attention it needs.
To break it down for you:
Conservatives want to get Brexit done, this is by gaining a majority to pass Boris' new deal. If this happens we will leave before January 31st 2020 and enter a transition period till the end of 2020 where it expected that new agreement on the future relationship will be agreed. Chances, given the amount of time it took for the Canada Free Trade Agreement to be worked out (5 years), 11 months will not be sufficient to conclude them, which inevitably means we leave on WTO rules, basically its a long way of reaching a no deal Brexit. Which will mean we never have to utter, hear or breathe the term Brexit ever again after December 2020.

Labour have a very complicated Brexit plan, I don't care what people say, its confusing. They would like to extend the exit day for the first stage of Brexit negotiations until a minimum of six months after January 31st. This is to allow for a deal to be reached with the EU, completely scrapping Boris' deal and then put it to the people for a second referendum between a 'credible leave option' or remaining. The deal will likely include elements that could be seen as remaining in all but name only, the customs union and single market for example. But then in the referendum, the party will campaign in favour of remaining in the EU and not in favour of the deal they have just negotiated, which to me personally makes no sense, however it may to you.

A Lib Dem majority would revoke Article 50 and stop Brexit altogether, which no matter which side you are on the debate will find difficult to support, simply because they will have set precedent for invalidating referendum results in the future as well as angering a hell of a lot of the electorate.

All of this is down to personal opinion but I'd recommend looking at party material and reading manifestos from 2017 and key points from the recent party conferences. If you however, find that voting for a party is difficult but feel the need to vote, as you should, void your ballot. Its a legitimate way of casting a vote whilst also indicating that you don't support any of the parties. Let you decide your own choice though, do not allow your family or friends pressure or indicate that you should vote for a candidate because they did. Do your own research and if you prefer, don't tell anyone who you voted for.

All of this is coming from someone who voted for the first time this year, voting for the Conservatives in the local council elections and protest voting for the Brexit Party in the European elections, all whilst being a member of the Conservative party.

Edit: The Conservatives will not sell out the NHS, nor will it be privatised. It also has a great record in regards to combating climate change. Do your own research on these issues and please do not trust anyone else's views because mostly likely they are wrong.
Last edited by JackFWHoughton; 2 months ago
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JackFWHoughton)
Edit: The Conservatives will not sell out the NHS, nor will it be privatised.
Is there a cast iron guarantee on that, if say a prospective US trade deal is predicated on their acquiring access to the NHS the Conservatives will walk away, sorry too rich, not for us. Sorry, they may go into such negotiations not wishing to hand over the keys to the kingdom , and I know past performance is no guide to the future, but you try selling my Conservative word is my bond in say Ulster.

We currently have on offer from them a Brexit WA /PD miles from where they stood in 2016 (EEA- forget that, Norway, pah, not Brexity enough now) and miles from where a large part of the population thought they then stood. They created some red lines that were not campaigned on, have twisted backwards and forwards re these, rubbed things out, created new arrangements, we have a brave Boris who has difficulty not contradicting himself when compared with his prior utterances, yet like Kaa the snake we are to " trust in me, just in me"

Rowan Atkinson does a skit about a wedding where a drunken father of the bride says about the groom "I would not trust him to sit the right way on a lavatory", well that encapsulates the Conservatives right now, re both integrity and capability .

(By the way I say all this as a former One Nation Tory, just ask yourself why those with similar views to mine (seems most) are not standing again, have left the party are voting elsewhere - even Thatcher would not have leapt from the EU; you are all wolves in sheep's clothing, you now masquerade as Conservatives but are certainly not the party I first voted for in 1979)
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Presuming brexit is your key issue - which it really should be given this election is a second referendum, than follow this set of questions, to find your answer:

Do you want to leave or remain?

If leave:

Do you want Boris' deal or a no-deal Brexit?

If you want a Boris' deal: Vote tory
If you don't want Boris deal:

Do you live in a conservative/Lab swing seat (you can google to find out)?

If yes: Vote tory
If no: Vote brexit party

If remain:

Do you live in a lib/lab swing seat (you can google to find out)?
If yes: Vote Labour
If no: Vote Lib dem

---

That's pretty much all their is to it, if brexit is what you care about.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Normally I would suggest that you read the manifestos once released however this election is rather simple, if you wish to complete Brexit you must vote Conservative, if you wish to oppose Brexit you vote Lib Dem, if you don’t care and support dithering and delay, you support Labour.

There are other important questions to ask such as whether or not you wish to endorse a Corbyn-SNP alliance that will involve trading power for a permissive attitude to tearing up the union.
- delivering brexit
- second referendum
- climate change
- the nhs
good luck
1) You have no evidence that the Tories will further privatise the NHS, they have gone no further since the Lansley reforms of 2012

2) Most of Europe has private social insurance and superior health outcomes, your statement that health provision would be modelled on the US ranges from factually flawed to stupid since it would be a poor model to follow.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Normally I would suggest that you read the manifestos once released however this election is rather simple, if you wish to complete Brexit you must vote Conservative, if you wish to oppose Brexit you vote Lib Dem, if you don’t care and support dithering and delay, you support Labour.

There are other important questions to ask such as whether or not you wish to endorse a Corbyn-SNP alliance that will involve trading power for a permissive attitude to tearing up the union.

1) You have no evidence that the Tories will further privatise the NHS, they have gone no further since the Lansley reforms of 2012

2) Most of Europe has private social insurance and superior health outcomes, your statement that health provision would be modelled on the US ranges from factually flawed to stupid since it would be a poor model to follow.
I doubt a poor model to follow will deter our brave politicians, remember they no longer bother with experts, it is government of the ignorant by the ignorant (or devious or both) that now prevails.
SteveObolowongai
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For this election, I would say just vote for whoever won it last time in your constituency. With the state of Brexit, we can't risk a hung parliament. It just means more distractions and policies we otherwise don't need. And for future elections, until Labour sort it out, vote Lib Dems, what the Tories have done to this country is inexcusable.
Abolition 4123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Don't vote. In the current climate, it's a complete waste of time. You'd be voting for people who hate you, thus giving them a mandate. If enough people didn't vote, the two major Parties would have no mandate. I repeat, don't vote.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Abolition 4123)
Don't vote. In the current climate, it's a complete waste of time. You'd be voting for people who hate you, thus giving them a mandate. If enough people didn't vote, the two major Parties would have no mandate. I repeat, don't vote.
If you don't vote you have to accept the decisions of others. Non voters are why we ended up with 52% voting for Brexit, for example.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
If you don't vote you have to accept the decisions of others. Non voters are why we ended up with 52% voting for Brexit, for example.
Lol oh yes, because everyone who didn't vote is obviously a remainer!!:rolleyes:
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Abolition 4123)
Absolute rubbish, that's not how our democracy works at all.
Abolition 4123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
No, 52% of the electoral turnout in 2016 voted to leave the European Union because they were tricked into believing that by leaving, the Country will evolve overnight, yet this is not the case. If Britain leaves the European Union, it will have full control over it's own laws and affairs, but it'll still have a Government which is for mass immigration, the Country will still be in £1,800,000,000,000 (trillion) worth of debt, the trade deficit will remain the same, the culture will remained trashed, and so on. How does one resolve these matters? Don't vote tribally. Don't vote for those who love power and loathe the you, the mandate giver.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (43)
23.24%
My career doesn't need one (25)
13.51%
I'm sick of studying (38)
20.54%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.7%
I don't know enough about them (13)
7.03%