CAT scores? Watch

username130457
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So, yeah. I have a mean CAT score of around 98. I'm predicted Ds and Cs for most of my subjects.

But the twist is, I get As and A*s... Am i just a really hard worker, or am seriously dumb, or are the CAT scores not an indication of intelligence?

I need to know!

~Ramadulla.
Pepe Le Poosh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
CAT scores become seriously skewed if you first language isn't English. Don't know if that affect you or not.

Also it can be affected by bad timing in the exam etc.

You could jsut be really har working now.

I got 127 back in the day and that meant apparently anything less than an A* was a failing by the school. I didn't really buy into it.
username130457
(Original post by Pepe Le Poosh)
CAT scores become seriously skewed if you first language isn't English. Don't know if that affect you or not.

Also it can be affected by bad timing in the exam etc.

You could jsut be really har working now.

I got 127 back in the day and that meant apparently anything less than an A* was a failing by the school. I didn't really buy into it.
I guessed half of the answers :L. But what really upset me is I didn't get a 100 for my math, which is my strongest academic subject...:rolleyes:.
anna_spanner89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
CAT exam..

I think i took that in yr7....what is it???
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't think people actually knew their scores for that test
Nor did I think schools paid attention to it...
Pepe Le Poosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
CAT exam..

I think i took that in yr7....what is it???
Some aptitude test so the goverment can calculate value added scores etc. Some schools also use it for setting groups
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pepe Le Poosh)
Some aptitude test so the goverment can calculate value added scores etc. Some schools also use it for setting groups

ah right

well sets don't really matter at a-level lol
Pepe Le Poosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well obviously. Its more of a KS3 thing.
glow stick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you're getting A's and A*'s is there really any point in worrying about your CAT scores?
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know they don't count for anything, but I've always wanted to know my score purely out of curiosity...
my school didn't tell us ours - annoying.
username130457
So should i not use the targets derived from my CAT scores and keep aiming for the As and A*s?
glow stick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ramadulla)
So should i not use the targets derived from my CAT scores and keep aiming for the As and A*s?
no.
v1oXx-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got 135. And last year (year 10) I was given graph, with every GCSE that my school offered. It showed that in every subject (except art?) I should get A*. It was like 55% A* in almost every subject. I think it's ********; thought it did make the clever people stand out, and did prove to be quite accurate.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd never heard of CAT scores, my school has litterally never mentioned them.
rachxl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well this thread made me interested to know what I got, so I rummaged through my little file thing and found the graph slip thing that bucktooth talked about.

I dropped one mark in the whole thing :eek:

adding up the raw marks I got 201, but the "SAS" (whatever that was) was "140+"...
which is the score I think you guys are talking about.

Anyway, it's all a load of rubbish. Plenty of poeple I know got scores like 5,5,7 compared to my 9,9,9 and they are doing just as well, if not better in some subjects, than me. They don't take work ethic, or your attitude, into consideration at all, which is a HUGE part of exams.

Take the predictions with a pinch of salt
La Songeuse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ha don't pay any attention to CAT scores - I got poor CAT score and 10A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS.

Equally my best friend got predicted a C in her GCSE maths because of her CAT score and got an A*, she does maths A level and is predicted an A...

On the other hand my sisters are really clever and have good CAT scores, sometimes CAT tests work... other times don't pay them any attention at all
~Hazzle*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
CATs are SATs' more pointless and useless cousin, we didn't even have sets made from them, they were just a bit random. We weren't meant to know our scores but I looked at my teacher's mark book which was left on their desk, I can't remember what I got though .
n2s
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
An administrative error with my CAT tests (120 = 90) and SAT Tests (L6 = L4) I got predicted all D's for my GCSE's, something that was extremely demoralising given that I work hard and I had D's thrown back at me. My 2 A* and 8 A's at GCSE was I felt, well earned.

I wouldn't take those CAT scores on face value though, entering into a new school, having the mindset of an 11 year old, and then trying to translate those scores into your GCSE grades nearly 5 years later? That is something that I feel makes little sense.
trav161
Report 10 years ago
i got 108
Tommy72
Report 10 years ago
I took a CATs test in yr 12. I believe my school does them for yr 8s 10s and 12s. I got 141 in the nonverbal and maths and 127 in the verbal english stuff .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (531)
37.79%
No - but I will (109)
7.76%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (669)
47.62%

Watched Threads