MSN keeps disconnecting because of my router Watch

steelmole
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I just changed my router to a Belkin wireless g router, my computer is wired to it. I didn't get this problem with my old router. I tried a different client and the problem persists. Anyone know what the course is in more detail and how to fix it without resorting to buying yet another router?
2^1/2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
upgrade the firmware, that's what i had to do with my netgear router.
steelmole
Rep:
?
Firmware is as new as possible. I might try downgrading it to the last version to see if that helps.
acsi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you set up port forwarding?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try enabling UPnP. Belkin routers are stupid.
steelmole
Rep:
?
(Original post by louiscbrooks)
Have you set up port forwarding?
No, I'll give that a go.
steelmole
Rep:
?
Gah, nothing. That's kinda annoying. Perhaps I'll end up with a new router sometime.
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Ok, potentially stupid question, but how do you know the router is causing the problems? Forget MSN for a minute - does your whole internet connection go down, or is it just MSN? Because to me it makes no sense whatsoever if your MSN disconnects but your internet connection is fine. The only exception I can think of to what I've just written is in the case of your router having an in-built firewall which isn't letting MSN through?
steelmole
Rep:
?
Well, the router is the only thing that has changed (that I know of). I guess the rest of the internet is stopping momentarily, but that's harder to notice.
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
and you're not connected wirelessly?
steelmole
Rep:
?
(Original post by steelmole)
I just changed my router to a Belkin wireless g router, my computer is wired to it. I didn't get this problem with my old router. I tried a different client and the problem persists. Anyone know what the course is in more detail and how to fix it without resorting to buying yet another router?
Nope, no wireless connection.
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I did read that, but you'd be surprised how many people use the word 'wired' interchangeably with 'connected'. Have you checked your router settings, or checked if there's a firewall etc.?
steelmole
Rep:
?
(Original post by secretmessages)
Yeah, I did read that, but you'd be surprised how many people use the word 'wired' interchangeably with 'connected'. Have you checked your router settings, or checked if there's a firewall etc.?
Sorry, I nearly did put "connected with an ethernet cable" in the original post but it just sounded too goddamn clunky. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the router settings as far as I can tell. There's a firewall in the router obviously.

I tried without the firewall on the router and it appears to work without trouble. Only problem then is I'll probably get worms...
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
Well we know the firewall is the problem then It's probably configurable, just need to find the relevant settings. You can use Windows Firewall (or another software application) in place of the router's firewall, and I think it's safe to do so.
steelmole
Rep:
?
(Original post by secretmessages)
Well we know the firewall is the problem then It's probably configurable, just need to find the relevant settings. You can use Windows Firewall (or another software application) in place of the router's firewall, and I think it's safe to do so.
Well, we don't know. It might just be a coincidence. I switched it back on and it's still connected for a similar amount of time. Let's see...
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
Ok, well it's likely then. We shall see how it goes. If you turn the firewall off again, make sure you have Windows Firewall (or equivalent) running.
Sephiroth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My MSN disconnects and signs in again at 1am every night without fail. Except when the clocks change it will be midnight. Very odd. It has to be the router because I'd had the issue on all three PCs it has been used on. Once a day I can live with, I'm rarely on MSN anyway.
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sephiroth)
My MSN disconnects and signs in again at 1am every night without fail. Except when the clocks change it will be midnight. Very odd. It has to be the router because I'd had the issue on all three PCs it has been used on. Once a day I can live with, I'm rarely on MSN anyway.
Yeah, that's the router. My friend has exactly the same problem. Presumably the router reboots itself very quickly at that time
bmh16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This always happened to me before then it randomly stopped. Sorry i can't help to why that is cos i have no idea!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads