The Student Room Group

Should I even bother going?

I wanted to go to Lancaster Uni open day on the 27th of August I think it is.

The train ticket for my mum is either two singles starting from about £140.00 or a return for £250.00 :eek: and even if we got the train from london we would arrive at like 11:30 so i would miss important stuff in the morning.

i refuse to go on the coach.

now it';s got me thinking should i even bother going? it's far far away maybe i should look at other options? ... or should I embark on that coach journey???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you can't be bothered to go to the open day, what will you be like when you actually go there, making 10+ journeys to and from home every year?!
Reply 2
Why not fly?
Reply 3
I believe you can watch campus tours on youtube, if that helps at all...
Reply 4
Contact them. They may be willing to pay your travel costs and let you stay overnight.

:juno:
Really, what's so terrible about the coach?
Reply 6
well i've been on a 13 hour coach ride in one day when i went liverpool and that wasn't fun. i'm not prepared to outdo that as i think lancaster would be even a few more hours?
Reply 7
Go to your train station and ask them there to help you with the cheapest way to get there.

They're pretty helpful...they'll possibly split your ticket as well (which they aren't really supposed to do) which saved me about £80 one time when I was trying to get to London during rush hour for less than £100
Reply 8
Why does your mum have to go with you?? It'll be cheaper if you go on your own...
I trust neither of you drive?

Does your college offer AimHigher funding? If not, contact AimHigher and see if they can fund it.
Reply 10
I still have to pay like £68 for a train ride and that's with a YPR.
Reply 11
FM08
well i've been on a 13 hour coach ride in one day when i went liverpool and that wasn't fun. i'm not prepared to outdo that as i think lancaster would be even a few more hours?

13 hours?

2nd year, school trip to Italy - 36 hour bus journey each way (from Scotland through england, france, switzerland and the north of italy)
Reply 12
i'm not comparing it i'm just saying i don't want to be on a coach for 13 hours in one day.
Reply 13
FM08
I wanted to go to Lancaster Uni open day on the 27th of August I think it is.

The train ticket for my mum is either two singles starting from about £140.00 or a return for £250.00 :eek: and even if we got the train from london we would arrive at like 11:30 so i would miss important stuff in the morning.

i refuse to go on the coach.

now it';s got me thinking should i even bother going? it's far far away maybe i should look at other options? ... or should I embark on that coach journey???

Have you bought your ticket? If not, you can get a saver return (from Euston) for £115 (that includes both of you, and your railcard discount). However, this will mean arriving a day early (so you don't miss any of the open day itself. You could probably get a cheap hotel for one night for maybe £40 (if you search around and don't mind sharing with your mother). You can the leave for London on the evening of the Open Day.

I know this still comes to at least £155 or so but, for two train tickets and a hotel it's not bad.

I'd see if it's worth contacting somewhere like Aimhigher, or the university itself. They may be able to come up with something.

We were able to claim most of the money back from out school (which makes me regret not going to any now, could of got a heavily subsidised day out!)
Reply 14
no haven't got the tickets yet.

i also think going by coach to some of the open days spoilt it. because liverpool i got to the coach station at like 6 in the morning with barely any sleep and no food and I felt really dirty, and I just couldn't concentrate in the open day after going on a coach for 6 hour 30 minutes the night before.
OP where do you live??? I went from bristol too lancaster twice and it was only £50..
River85

I'd see if it's worth contacting somewhere like Aimhigher, or the university itself. They may be able to come up with something.

We were able to claim most of the money back from out school (which makes me regret not going to any now, could of got a heavily subsidised day out!)

Ditto. I got £110 from AimHigher to visit Cumbria.
it's definitely worth going if you think it's where you might like to be. Lancaster is a lovely uni. You maybe able to stay overnight in the actual uni in a halls room if you ask them, becuase they rent out rooms during the summer. Otherwise look at campus photo's videos, go to the lancaster forum on here and talk to people and if you like the sound of it apply. then if you get a realistic offer you can visit when youare making your firm and insurance choices. Good luck whaever you decide
Reply 18
Well there's the option I outlined just there, both of you for £115 return plus a hotel or, if you don't want to pay for a hotel, you can leave London at 22:25 on the 26th and arrive in Lancaster at 06:20. You should, providing there aren't any significant delays, get to the uni well in time. This would also cost £115, but no hotel. I know it's not ideal, travelling all that distance overnight, going to the open day and then travelling straight back again.

So, if finance wasn't an issue, would you be prepared to do either of these options?
Reply 19
i don't knowto be honest ....... though I'm simply not going to pay over £100 just for a train ride!

Latest

Trending

Trending