The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot Applicant: Is university worth it?

I’d like to apply for the role of pilot in the RAF.

I’m currently in sixth form doing my A-levels and plan on doing volunteering and other leadership based activities throughout the year before I apply in winter 2020.

I’m curious, while the RAF website says you only need A-levels to apply, is a university degree beneficial in any way? Also, is the university life something the RAF look for, as it could possibly show responsibility etc.?

Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by VersionOmega
I’m curious, while the RAF website says you only need A-levels to apply, is a university degree beneficial in any way? Also, is the university life something the RAF look for, as it could possibly show responsibility etc.?

Yes and yes.

Doesn't mean you can't get in direct from A levels, I know plenty who have.
But I know far more who went in as graduates.

Plus the degree means you've got a back up should something go wrong along the way.

I’m currently in sixth form doing my A-levels and plan on doing volunteering and other leadership based activities throughout the year before I apply in winter 2020.

Cheers.

I wonder if @RAF_Adam has any recent figures on the number of DE pilots, v Graduate v previously serving?

It used to be about 30%/70%/Occasional but that might have changed
Age is now weighted at OASC for Pilot.
Original post by EconWarrior
Age is now weighted at OASC for Pilot.

Could you expand on that a bit for me please?
Reply 5

Cheers.

Getting a degree may benefit you if training doesn’t work out or when you leave the RAF but at the point of selection, people with degrees are not chosen over those who do not. Getting a degree is entirely up to you but you need to weigh that against gaining 3 years head start in you career. This is especially important with considering a career as a pilot and by winter next year, the training pipeline should be starting to speed up - so your timing might be just right. If you are going to be undertaking volunteer and leadership activities throughout your A levels, that will stand you in good stead at Filter Interview which will get you to the OASC and help your competitiveness at the point of selection. If you want to go to university then maybe think about sponsorship. A bursary is available for most branches and SNCO trades. Ultimately there are advantages either way but you need to do what’s best for you. Hope this helps.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fast74
Getting a degree may benefit you if training doesn’t work out or when you leave the RAF but at the point of selection, people with degrees are not chosen over those who do not. Getting a degree is entirely up to you but you need to weigh that against gaining 3 years head start in you career. This is especially important with considering a career as a pilot and by winter next year, the training pipeline should be starting to speed up - so your timing might be just right. If you are going to be undertaking volunteer and leadership activities throughout your A levels, that will stand you in good stead at Filter Interview which will get you to the OASC and help your competitiveness at the point of selection. If you want to go to university then maybe think about sponsorship. A bursary is available for most branches and SNCO trades. Ultimately there are advantages either way but you need to do what’s best for you. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much!
Hi

Fast74 has answered pretty much how I would have, but then, he knows exactly what's being looked for and can advise accordingly.

I don't have specific stats for the difference coming through the system, but as I've advised people for many years now, there's no degree requirement to be able to apply for the role, the decision whether you do that is entirely up to you. However, looking at options if you're unsuccessful in your RAF application is a good idea and as has also already been advised, having more options is always a good idea.
You can gain the leadership and teamwork experience without time at Uni that's looked at during OASC. But there are so many elements to the process they aren't the only things being looked for, although they are important.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Could you expand on that a bit for me please?

It is what it says on the tin.

Quick Reply

Latest