Y12_FurtherMaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
This question is really confusing me. My friend told me that the centripetal force >=frictional force but I dont know why this is the case. It doesn't help that I'm unsure how to draw a force diagram. All I really know is that the centripetal force acts towards the centre, other than that I'm so confused!
http://imgur.com/a/BdoggLh
DS Steve Arnott
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
ah, the karate kid taught me all i need to know about circular motion, you just have to wax on and wax off and you'll be fine.
jenitanushi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DS Steve Arnott)
ah, the karate kid taught me all i need to know about circular motion, you just have to wax on and wax off and you'll be fine.
ahh yes.
Y12_FurtherMaths
Rep:
?
RDKGames
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As far as I can see, you have correctly determined that F (the force needed to maintain the particle in horizontal circular motion) = mg Newtons. Now you need to reason that the only possible thing that can be providing that force is the disc, and that the force must be in the form of friction. Next, the particle will slip if F is greater than (mu)R, where R is the vertical reaction force exerted by the disc on the particle. Can you pick it up from there?
Y12_FurtherMaths
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
As far as I can see, you have correctly determined that F (the force needed to maintain the particle in horizontal circular motion) = mg Newtons. Now you need to reason that the only possible thing that can be providing that force is the disc, and that the force must be in the form of friction. Next, the particle will slip if F is greater than (mu)R, where R is the vertical reaction force exerted by the disc on the particle. Can you pick it up from there?
Is F the centripetal force? Which acts towards the centre? Which way does friction act?
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
In this instance, the frictional force IS the centripetal force, so it acts towards the centre of rotation.
Y12_FurtherMaths
Rep:
?
In this instance, the frictional force IS the centripetal force, so it acts towards the centre of rotation.
So if that's our frictional force then what is muR going to calculate?
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(mu)R is the maximum frictional force that the disc can exert.
Y12_FurtherMaths
Rep:
?
(mu)R is the maximum frictional force that the disc can exert.
Could you please draw a force diagram for me? I think that might help me understand
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Horizontally, there is only one force acting on the particle, namely the centripetal force acting towards the centre of rotation. It just happens that in the situation depicted by the question, the centripetal force is frictional in nature. The catch is that if the disc spins too fast, or if the value of mu is too low, the disc will be unable to provide a sufficient frictional force to maintain the particle in horizontal circular motion, and the particle will then slip outwards instead.
Y12_FurtherMaths
Rep:
?
Horizontally, there is only one force acting on the particle, namely the centripetal force acting towards the centre of rotation. It just happens that in the situation depicted by the question, the centripetal force is frictional in nature. The catch is that if the disc spins too fast, or if the value of mu is too low, the disc will be unable to provide a sufficient frictional force to maintain the particle in horizontal circular motion, and the particle will then slip outwards instead.
Thank you I appreciate all this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?