simplewoman10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've noticed many women in academia either settling very late or not settling down at all with a family.
Why is this?

Are the jobs suitable for women who want families?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's increasingly hard for anyone that wants a family, especially given the extent to which we need to move about for job prospects
HoldThisL
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you're going to come in here with a bombshell like that you can't imply it's bad for women to not have husbands and children with no substance
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by simplewoman10)
I've noticed many women in academia either settling very late or not settling down at all with a family.
Why is this?

Are the jobs suitable for women who want families?
You've noticed? What sort of data set is that?

My Course Director is a single mother - therefore being an academic is obviously a refuge for single mothers, dead easy to manage, very accessible, come on in!!
simplewoman10
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
if you're going to come in here with a bombshell like that you can't imply it's bad for women to not have husbands and children with no substance
Sorry, I come from a culture where it is kind of an obligation. So I need to think of these things very carefully.
simplewoman10
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You've noticed? What sort of data set is that?

My Course Director is a single mother - therefore being an academic is obviously a refuge for single mothers, dead easy to manage, very accessible, come on in!!
I know there are women who have families in academia, but it's just an observation that a lot don't.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by simplewoman10)
I know there are women who have families in academia, but it's just an observation that a lot don't.
And what are you comparing 'some' and a lot' to? What other equivalent professional careers with a long, aptitude based training process, easy exit opportunities, easy entrance opportunities etc.

Try and find any other employment sector where virtually every single organisation has

Athena Swan type schemes
Return to work schemes
Creches
Flexible working hours, virtually PYO
Mandatory E&D training
E&D strategies
Women's staff networks

on top of almost every other workplace support regardless of gender.
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't see why balancing a career with family should necessarily be harder for women than for men. There's obviously the maternity leave for when women have children, but besides that, there will only be a difference if both a) one partner specifically focuses on looking after the children and b) it's the woman.

There are plenty of families in which the woman has a high-flying career that they balance with their family.
Alayna1234
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes it is.

Anyone can balance a family and a job as long they have the right mindset and the right partner for it if you’re married.

It’s joint effort on both sides.

Since you said where you come from, im assuming you’re in a very conservative culture which expect women to do all the nurturing and men to bring the money in.

If you marry with someone who is a decent person, you’ll be able to plan and balance it out.

There’s plenty of women who have quite hard careers that balance family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (172)
18.7%
Labour (396)
43.04%
Liberal Democrats (180)
19.57%
Green Party (52)
5.65%
Brexit Party (24)
2.61%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.33%
SNP (11)
1.2%
Plaid Cymru (9)
0.98%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.11%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.11%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (2)