The Student Room Group

I don't understand

I strive to achieve highly in school and college, but it just doesn't seem to work. I do work at home for multiple hours a day after college which maybe isn't effective but it isn't really my choice. I constantly worry about not achieving what I want even in small tests in class. I don't know what to do to improve I get a not bad score in my tests and I try to improve on it, but I would much rather do well on the tests to keep me motivated instead of just thinking I am failure. Please give me some advice....
Firstly its not about how much time you spend studying but more so how for example there's no point making loads of notes that you'll never look at again but use mind maps and outlines of topics. Also if you know the content but are still struggling, its either exam technique or application. Reading around the topic can help but i would use past papers and mark schemes and maybe even make notes on question styles. If you're really worried about how you're going to do, that will also affect your performance so maybe speak to a teacher or someone in your classes who is doing well
Original post by MollyArwen
Firstly its not about how much time you spend studying but more so how for example there's no point making loads of notes that you'll never look at again but use mind maps and outlines of topics. Also if you know the content but are still struggling, its either exam technique or application. Reading around the topic can help but i would use past papers and mark schemes and maybe even make notes on question styles. If you're really worried about how you're going to do, that will also affect your performance so maybe speak to a teacher or someone in your classes who is doing well

sadly it isn't really my choice how long I study for since my parents aren't the most 'culturally aware' and I do practice exam questions, but I am just worried for when I actually get important exams such as mocks in January. I don't want to be doing okay now and then do okay in my mocks cause it just would ruin my head.
Just remember the whole point of mocks is to clear up misconceptions and areas where you are not so confident or dont know at all. I would say do an exam paper in conditions and then mark yourself really harshly and then keep doing it until you get a "worst case scenario" mark that you are ok with. Knowing how to phrase and structure answers make much more of a difference than I personally think it should.
Just remember the whole point of mocks is to clear up misconceptions and areas where you are not so confident or dont know at all. I would say do an exam paper in conditions and then mark yourself really harshly and then keep doing it until you get a "worst case scenario" mark that you are ok with. Knowing how to phrase and structure answers make much more of a difference than I personally think it should.

yeah that seems to make sense tbh, however I would have to do tests for each unit I have done since I am only in 1st year of A level and I don't think I have done enough to complete a whole exam yet, but thanks a lot I will try this for a while and see how I do hopefully better....
So am I! What subjects are you doing?
So am I! What subjects are you doing?

the best of them all Maths, Biology, Chemistry and German (big flex I can speak 'fluent' German)
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History but imma start my EPQ soon too
Reply 8
if you don't know what to do to improve, you need to speak to your teachers asap. you don't have to figure this out on your own. i tried to do that once; it didn't work :frown:

i'm in the same boat as you right now. i feel like my school wants me to learn the way 'they' want me to learn, without taking into account some kids process information differently. can you relate or am i the only one?

btw i moved your thread to Secondary school, sixth form and FE college :smile:
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History but imma start my EPQ soon too

I didn't get offered the chance to do an EPQ since I enrolled on the first day of college lol, but tbh I don't think it really benefits too much since so many people will do it, wouldn't really make an individual stand out.
Original post by Joleee
if you don't know what to do to improve, you need to speak to your teachers asap. you don't have to figure this out on your own. i tried to do that once; it didn't work :frown:

i'm in the same boat as you right now. i feel like my school wants me to learn the way 'they' want me to learn, without taking into account some kids process information differently. can you relate or am i the only one?

btw i moved your thread to Secondary school, sixth form and FE college :smile:

oh ok thanks a lot and yeah I get what u mean hahaha I do try study how it is suited to me but I think it is mainly to do with exam practice as what Molly said which I have been lacking in all honesty and I believe that is what is important to do well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending