Intensive courses Watch

misswilliams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Little background knowledge before I get into the post.

I have never been that fussed on driving, my parents certainly couldn't afford to fund it and I wouldn't give up all my wages on it. But now I'm 18, sick of relying on everyone else to cart me around, starting a new job in September (no uni for me) and finding the thought of commuting hours a day not an attractive prospect. It will probably be cheaper to commute but if I learn to drive I get my own car, not rely on everyone for lifts and safe in the knowledge that I will be able to do this for the rest of my life.

So out of the blue, I haven't dropped hints at all which makes this even better, my grandparents have offered to pay for me to learn to drive over the summer. Totally unexpected and I literally jumped for joy

Now I need to find somewhere to hopefully teach me to drive, pass and get my theory done by September.

I've been looking at a few pass in a week courses which seem appealing but I really don't think one week is enough, my friend did it but I don't think I could. So I'm now looking at doing it steadily over 3 and above weeks, theory included.

What does everyone think of intensive courses? I have all this free time on my hands and it does make sense to learn now, especially as in September I won't have any time to even think about learning.

Any advice? I can't really take months to learn to drive so that option isn't available guys :p:
Bavarian Motor Works
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It teaches you to pass basically, not how to drive a car safely.

aka people usually pass with little genuine experience
MiaWallace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've taken an intensive course and wouldn't recommend them. It is stressful and confusing to learn so much in a week or two and I felt ill prepared when it came to my test. The experience was so bad it put me off driving for almost four years.

I've recently started again on a semi-intensive basis. I have 3 x 2 hours lesson a week. I started 5 weeks ago and have my test in a weeks time.

Feel this has been a great way to do it without putting on too much pressure. 5 hours a day, every day for a week is far to intense and doesn't give yourself time to digest the things you're learning.

Since you have got till September I would recommend semi-intensive
misswilliams
Rep:
?
(Original post by MiaWallace)
I've taken an intensive course and wouldn't recommend them. It is stressful and confusing to learn so much in a week or two and I felt ill prepared when it came to my test. The experience was so bad it put me off driving for almost four years.

I've recently started again on a semi-intensive basis. I have 3 x 2 hours lesson a week. I started 5 weeks ago and have my test in a weeks time.

Feel this has been a great way to do it without putting on too much pressure. 5 hours a day, every day for a week is far to intense and doesn't give yourself time to digest the things you're learning.

Since you have got till September I would recommend semi-intensive
That's great advice thank you! I may look into dragging it out a little like you said, especially if you don't feel prepared enough I don't want to waste someone elses money
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It isn't called a crash course for nothing. Obviously it teaches you how to drive, but what stops accidents is experience.
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think people who do these courses are those most likely to crash than any other road user group...
groovychez89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
intensive courses are better for people who have had at least ten or so lessons to get to grips with the main aspects of driving.. not for people who have never driven at all.
MiaWallace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
where in wales are you too misswilliams? I could recommend you an excellent female instructor if you are in the south
misswilliams
Rep:
?
where in wales are you too misswilliams? I could recommend you an excellent female instructor if you are in the south
Umm near cwmbran? If you know where that is :p:
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't don't don't! :eek:

If you are talking about one of them courses which offers a week of intensive driving, and a test at the end of the week.. they are ****!

One story: A girl's dad paid £500 for a week of driving with one of these companies. She had to go up to the centre everyday (instead of being picked up) and then she had to share the car with another person. She got a total of 7 hours in the driving seat :eek: And at the end of the week, they said they weren't going to put her in for a test. So they don't have to provide her with anymore lessons for free, so that was it. She basically paid £500 for 7 hours. =|

Phone up an instructor, they are much better, and will most definetly be cheaper (it may not seem like it at the start, but overall it works out cheaper) and you will have a much better time

You will have to pass your theory before you can book your practical test, so get your theory out of the way. Waiting times for tests are about 8 weeks (where i live anyway) so you will need to have a look what dates are available soonish. Phone up an instructor when you book your test, and ask them to teach you in as much time as you need up to that date.
MiaWallace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would highly recommend http://www.divasdrivingschool.co.uk/

They cover the cwmbran area. I have been learning with Hayley, but have met Sal as well, they are both really nice and very patient.
misswilliams
Rep:
?
I would highly recommend http://www.divasdrivingschool.co.uk/

They cover the cwmbran area. I have been learning with Hayley, but have met Sal as well, they are both really nice and very patient.
Thank you very much! I've bookmarked them and they look good, esp as it's a female instructor.

Just for reference, I am NOT thinking of doing this whole 1 week stuff. Really I wouldn't dream of doing it in a week, especially with shared tuition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.28%
No - but I will (74)
7.5%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (476)
48.23%

Watched Threads